Butler Service Question

Beh789149

We are on the Jewel next month in Australia. It's our first time on NCL and our first time in a suite. To be specific, we have a two bedroom family suite (non-haven). My question is about the butler service. I've read posts that say something to the effect of " the butler is there to take care of you and to make your life easier". I've also read some posts from more experienced suite guests that recommend making a list of things for your butler ahead of time, so the butler can organize his/her day accordingly.

With all of this in mind, I've compiled a list of things that I think would make our experience great. I'd like to know if I'm asking for too much....not enough. Not really sure what to expect here. There are four of us, two adults and two children (teens).

Unpack

Bubble bath or bath salts in master bath

Pitcher of tea and lemonade in the afternoons

Plate of sweets (cookies etc) and plate of salty treats (chips) in the afternoon. I have two teenage boys!

Vanilla syrup for vanilla lattes

Feather pillows

Chess/Checkers game and two decks of cards in suite

Setup parental controls on the TV (PG-13 or under please!)

Too much?

Not to sidetrack the conversation, but I think all requests are reasonable as long as you tip appropriately. I realize Australia has different norms for tipping, but I would still bring some cash to take care of my butler. Just tip one sum at the end.

Not to sidetrack the conversation, but I think all requests are reasonable as long as you tip appropriately. I realize Australia has different norms for tipping, but I would still bring some cash to take care of my butler. Just tip one sum at the end.

Absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

yeah,i dont want my butler looking at and touching my underwear and giant bras. too weird! i also want to know wehre my stuff is, have it organized, etc.

that list doesnt seem outrageous. i highly recommend a cheese and cracker plate. our butler brought us one every night around 9pm, so that it was perfect room temp by midnight when we returned after gambling, partying.

As I recall, there are bath salts in all the suites by the tub, but if not, they are certainly available in some cabins so I'm sure the butler can find them for you. They also offer various fancy baths that they can draw for you (or did at one point - can't recall seeing the "bath menu" last time, though I might have just ignored it).

They will bring snacks each afternoon - could be cookies, sliced fruit, sandwiches with potato chips, chocolates, or little hors d'oeuvres mousse things (we skip those!). But if you tell the butler you prefer cookies and chips he/she should be able to accommodate that, along with pitchers of tea/lemonade.

You can call the pre-cruise concierge and indicate the kind of pillows you want, but I've never gotten the kind I wanted and never cared to pursue it once on board. I find their regular pillows quite comfortable. I think they're some kind of fake down.

I'd throw playing cards into your suitcase. I don't know if you can restrict your tv programming. You will get access to all of the pay per view movies, some of which might be R rated.

Not sure I am correct on this... Aren't Butler services only available in the Haven Suites?

(You stated family suite but non Haven)

I've only sailed once on NCL ; in Haven - Butler was awesome!

No, all suites have a Butler. Note, mini-suites are not considered a suite.

I think OP specified non-Haven b/c some ships, like Dawn and Star, dont have Havens.

We sailed on the Star in a SJ about two years ago. At the time, my children were 7 and 1.5. The butler made my life easier with respect to being a second set of hands. He helped us embark -- bringing us directly to our room and telling us tricks to navigate the ship alone the way (carpet color, fish directions). My son is allergic to dairy, so he made sure we had soy milk stocked in our mini-fridge. He brought them DVDs. He brought us afternoon snacks (adult things, like cheese plates) and treats for the kids, like gummy bears. He answered the 100 questions we had as first time cruisers. Helped us finds things on the ship. On the night we were supposed to go to Cagneys, my son through a temper tantrum, so we opted to eat in the room. He arranged for the food to be served. So we didnt request anything in advance, we really didnt know what to request, and maybe we made his life more hectic because of that, but we tipped him generously at the end of the cruise.

I always order coffee and a light breakfast. I tell the butler that the bedroom doors will be closed; quietly let yourself in and leave the tray on the table. It's nice waking up to coffee waiting for me. Some butlers get it on the first try; others take some training.

We had the most awesome butler in the GV once. Quiet as a mouse, never knew that he'd come and gone until we found goodies waiting on the table... and we were sitting in the same room! (Totarem, or "Mr. T," if you're lucky enough to get him.)

Not sure I am correct on this... Aren't Butler services only available in the Haven Suites?

(You stated family suite but non Haven)

I've only sailed once on NCL ; in Haven - Butler was awesome!

Suite perks including butlers are for all cabins with an “H” (Haven) or “S” (Suite) in the number. As mentioned already - this does NOT include mini-suites.

Just off the Pearl in an SE (non haven) suite. I think the unpacking is a bit over the top, but I think it's listed as a service so go for it if it's really important to you.

Bath salts were in a container at the tub.

You can request pillows ahead of time which we did not. After sleeping on the "standard" pillows for one night, I whined a bit to our steward (not butler). The room steward cheerfully recommended the memory foam pillow. HEAVEN!

When we first met our room steward, we let him know we did not like chocolate covered strawberries (seems to be a common go-to treat). He made a note on his pad. Let him know we liked 'savory' things like canapes and club sandwiches.

We also ordered room service for breakfast a few times and did a "write in" of special requests and he brought everything we asked for.

Make sure you look in all the cabinets where you will find extra Nespresso capsules, salt, pepper, extra dishes and silverware if needed.

~Denise

To the OP, I have been in that suite and it's great! It's probably my favorite suite configuration on all the ships! Correct, it's not Haven or Garden Villa but you have access to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch along with the Concierge. My opinion is to provide a nice tip with the first service performed. I think it shows good intent. I then provide $ when the butler provides a service like bringing a meal to the suite, and of course I tip generously at the end. It's a great experience.

As I recall, there are bath salts in all the suites by the tub, but if not, they are certainly available in some cabins so I'm sure the butler can find them for you. They also offer various fancy baths that they can draw for you (or did at one point - can't recall seeing the "bath menu" last time, though I might have just ignored it).

They will bring snacks each afternoon - could be cookies, sliced fruit, sandwiches with potato chips, chocolates, or little hors d'oeuvres mousse things (we skip those!). But if you tell the butler you prefer cookies and chips he/she should be able to accommodate that, along with pitchers of tea/lemonade.

You can call the pre-cruise concierge and indicate the kind of pillows you want, but I've never gotten the kind I wanted and never cared to pursue it once on board. I find their regular pillows quite comfortable. I think they're some kind of fake down.

I'd throw playing cards into your suitcase. I don't know if you can restrict your tv programming. You will get access to all of the pay per view movies, some of which might be R rated.

Pre-cruise concierge? I know nothing about this. Is there a special phone number or email address?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always order coffee and a light breakfast. I tell the butler that the bedroom doors will be closed; quietly let yourself in and leave the tray on the table. It's nice waking up to coffee waiting for me. Some butlers get it on the first try; others take some training.

We had the most awesome butler in the GV once. Quiet as a mouse, never knew that he'd come and gone until we found goodies waiting on the table... and we were sitting in the same room! (Totarem, or "Mr. T," if you're lucky enough to get him.)

We've done this with all Butlers, even when the floor plan is more open. Obviously, it works especially well when there is a separate sitting room of some sort.

What we did (for Butler only, not Steward), we told him that if there was a "Privacy" sign up, but he/she needed to deliver something (even if not specifically requested by us at that time), to come right in quietly. And IF we wanted privacy, we'd just bolt the door and she/he couldn't get in on a first try, etc.

So we'd wake up and have our full breakfast spread all ready and waiting. Often, we were already up, but not always.

Just off the Pearl in an SE (non haven) suite. I think the unpacking is a bit over the top, but I think it's listed as a service so go for it if it's really important to you.

Bath salts were in a container at the tub.

You can request pillows ahead of time which we did not. After sleeping on the "standard" pillows for one night, I whined a bit to our steward (not butler). The room steward cheerfully recommended the memory foam pillow. HEAVEN!

When we first met our room steward, we let him know we did not like chocolate covered strawberries (seems to be a common go-to treat). He made a note on his pad. Let him know we liked 'savory' things like canapes and club sandwiches.

We also ordered room service for breakfast a few times and did a "write in" of special requests and he brought everything we asked for.

Make sure you look in all the cabinets where you will find extra Nespresso capsules, salt, pepper, extra dishes and silverware if needed.

~Denise

Note that post immediately above mentioned discussing things like strawberries with the *steward*.

You should have these conversations/requests with the Butler, or things could get confused.

(The steward may/may not have time to help out, but any requests like this should be coordinated with the Butler.)

We've had that 2-BR suite and it's terrific.

Wait until you see the view from the TUB... you will definitely be relaxing with those bath salts :D

We've also arrived with a brief one-page "intro" letter for Butler (and separate, shorter one for Steward).

Upon first meeting, we say hello, a brief intro, and hand the letter so they can review it when things aren't as hectic as "first meeting on first day", when they are meeting everyone.

Each time, later in the day (once the next morning), the Butler returned with some questions, and thanked us for the written info.

We included things like "we love dark chocolate" or "fresh fruits are great, but no 'candy' please" or whatever, plus we also wrote out what I mentioned above about "entry".

For the Steward, it was mostly a reminder about an allergy situation.

Enjoy!

GC

Note that post immediately above mentioned discussing things like strawberries with the *steward*.

You should have these conversations/requests with the Butler, or things could get confused.

(The steward may/may not have time to help out, but any requests like this should be coordinated with the Butler.)

GC

Whoops!! That was me, typing quickly and I did type "steward" when I meant to say "butler". At least I didn't say 'stewart' ;) Thanks for correcting me GC. I appreciate it, especially since I can't edit my post.

~Denise