Booking 18 months in advance? Anyone done it before?

dotede04

Yep. See my Allure cruise report below (title alone). And we booked our Symphony cruise 2 years in advance. I love the planning and anticipation though. I get obsessive on here but keeps me busy. Keep watching for price drops... although if you booked early , you probably got a good price, not to mention stateroom choice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I've been obsessing about booking a cruise this summer (Royal Princess) or next summer to British Isles. This summer it's on sale now for a good price. Next year's date there are no sales or promos at all just regular price right now. It's double of this summer's. Do I hurry up and book this summer based on price? or book next year and wait for it to go down? I feel a little rushed to do it this summer as I haven't researched anything about the ports/excursions. I could use the extra year to save more money as well and not be so strapped for cash (my husband's concern :o ) Next year's cruise is getting booked up already though. When I looked at unsold cabins not that many are available. I would have thought this far away they're would be more. I have a hold on a balcony cabin now and need to decide by tomorrow :eek: and give non-refundable deposit.

I am currently booked for may 2019. I’m comfortable with that timeframe although I’m making myself crazy with research (how do you all do the wait!!!???)

Now there is a opportunity to book ncl for the $1 down on a 7 night dream itinerary for sept 29th 2019 (my bday!!). Has anyone ever booked that far in advance? Is it a stupid decision? And seriously how do you keep the anticipation at a min?

Thank you for all replies in advance!!!

Teresa

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm booking our Nov 2019 cruise this weekend. I like booking way in advance. i spend all that time doing my research and making my lists. It also lets me spread out my cruise payments, flights, excursions, anything I need to buy. to me half the fun is dreaming about it!

I'm booking our Nov 2019 cruise this weekend. I like booking way in advance. i spend all that time doing my research and making my lists. It also lets me spread out my cruise payments, flights, excursions, anything I need to buy. to me half the fun is dreaming about it!

Do you just end up paying full price by booking so far in advance? For me I was looking into the British Isles summer 2019 and there are no sales at all:(

I am currently booked for may 2019. I’m comfortable with that timeframe although I’m making myself crazy with research (how do you all do the wait!!!???)

Now there is a opportunity to book ncl for the $1 down on a 7 night dream itinerary for sept 29th 2019 (my bday!!). Has anyone ever booked that far in advance? Is it a stupid decision? And seriously how do you keep the anticipation at a min?

Teresa

My longest wait was 7 months. I am now down to 6 months. Aaaahhhh. It is killing me. I couldn't do 18 months. I just wouldn't survive. And I'd be rubber room crazy from over research if I did book a cruise that far out. ;p

Yes. I have a cruise booked for Jan 2019.........I booked in early 2017. Brand new ship so I wanted to just get a deposit down on it.

As you can seen many people book way in advance.

I have booked Nov. 2018 this past Feb. to the Caribbean. I booked Jan. 2019 this past Nov., this cruise there is 7 rooms with 15 people (16th person may be added). And when NCL had their 1.00 deposit sale I booked Sept. 2019 for 4 of us to Alaska and Oct. 2020 to Hawaii for 5 rooms/12 people (more getting added there also).

So as you can see I have them from as close as 7 1/2 months to 2 1/2 years out. I myself rather enjoy booking that far out especially with Jan. 2019 and Oct 2020 cruise and so many going on them, because it gives me time to learn about the ports and find tours to do and such.

I regularly book that far out. But I have trips coming up this year that I booked last year. It's kind of a revolving cycle.

As much as possible, I like a trip to be completely paid for before I walk into the airport. I book early to get the ship and cabin I want, I watch for price drops, and I watch airfare, too. Unless I leave from Seattle or Los Angeles, I have connecting flights to juggle.

I have booked Nov. 2018 this past Feb. to the Caribbean. I booked Jan. 2019 this past Nov., this cruise there is 7 rooms with 15 people (16th person may be added). And when NCL had their 1.00 deposit sale I booked Sept. 2019 for 4 of us to Alaska and Oct. 2020 to Hawaii for 5 rooms/12 people (more getting added there also).

So as you can see I have them from as close as 7 1/2 months to 2 1/2 years out. I myself rather enjoy booking that far out especially with Jan. 2019 and Oct 2020 cruise and so many going on them, because it gives me time to learn about the ports and find tours to do and such.

When you're booking that far in advance are any of them on sale? There's one I was going to book for July/Aug of 2019 but cruises are full price no perks. Are there any benefits to booking now besides getting the cabin I want?

Be aware that the earliest you can book air is 330 days in advance. If you do make those air reservations, also make a note to check for schedule changes every month or so. Usually they will inform you if your schedule is canceled or changes, but not always!

My longest wait was 7 months. I am now down to 6 months. Aaaahhhh. It is killing me. I couldn't do 18 months. I just wouldn't survive. And I'd be rubber room crazy from over research if I did book a cruise that far out. ;p

Oh....you think that it is only 1 cruise booked that far in advance?.......for me, nope. I am going this summer too and then in January......nobody said it is only 1 cruise that is booked;)........just because 1 cruise is booked

for further out doesn't mean there is not another one booked to sail sooner.:D

Oh....you think that it is only 1 cruise booked that far in advance?.......for me, nope. I am going this summer too and then in January......nobody said it is only 1 cruise that is booked;)........just because 1 cruise is booked

for further out doesn't mean there is not another one booked to sail sooner.:D

Us neither, just back from a Canaries cruise. We then have another 3 booked all the way upto April next year.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Teresa

I am in the same boat. We are booked for January 2019 and I am doing so much research!

When you're booking that far in advance are any of them on sale? There's one I was going to book for July/Aug of 2019 but cruises are full price no perks. Are there any benefits to booking now besides getting the cabin I want?

It depends on the price for me. Like this Nov. I leave out of Baltimore on Grandeur of the Seas. When I booked it an inside cabin was 659.00 (plus tax, port charges and gratuities) and Royal was giving on board credit. When I book with Royal with my TA they also give me on board credit. I looked today (4/2/18) at the same cruise for my boss and the inside cabin was at 990.00 per person plus taxes and such. So we got a great deal on it.

My Jan 2019 cruise it was the right price for all the people going a good deposit price.

My Sept 2019 and Nov 2020 cruise was the right price and good deposit.

I guess for me it is a little less for the perks (don't get me wrong they are nice) but for me it is the price at a price I am willing to pay and what the deposit is. I know what I am willing to pay for a cruise and such and if it is at that price or below I will book it. I also like the fact that I have more time to pay the cruise off. My sept 2019 and nov. 2020 cruise will be paid off by Jan 2019.

It depends on the price for me. Like this Nov. I leave out of Baltimore on Grandeur of the Seas. When I booked it an inside cabin was 659.00 (plus tax, port charges and gratuities) and Royal was giving on board credit. When I book with Royal with my TA they also give me on board credit. I looked today (4/2/18) at the same cruise for my boss and the inside cabin was at 990.00 per person plus taxes and such. So we got a great deal on it.

My Jan 2019 cruise it was the right price for all the people going a good deposit price.

My Sept 2019 and Nov 2020 cruise was the right price and good deposit.

I guess for me it is a little less for the perks (don't get me wrong they are nice) but for me it is the price at a price I am willing to pay and what the deposit is. I know what I am willing to pay for a cruise and such and if it is at that price or below I will book it. I also like the fact that I have more time to pay the cruise off. My sept 2019 and nov. 2020 cruise will be paid off by Jan 2019.

I guess that's what's tricky for me being a new cruiser, I don't know what a good deal is yet on the British Isles trip I want to take next summer 2019. I just started looking into them a month or two ago. I don't have a lot of seasons/years to compare the prices. I can see what they are going for this summer and next year, but that's about it. It would be great if there was a website or tracker that showed what people ended up paying ( including perks etc) for the same cruise that I was thinking of going on in the past. I'm a bit of a bargain shopper so like when I go food shopping and something is on "sale", I know my prices enough to know if that item is really a good deal or not. I do see some what I think are "good" prices on cruises but most of the time it's during an off season or when I can't go during the year so I can't really take advantage of them anyway. I can only go on cruises in the summer months.

When you mentioned that your cruise will be paid, you don't mean you paid it to the cruise company right? I was thinking you meant saved for it like in the bank, but just wasn't sure if people do that or not.

I guess that's what's tricky for me being a new cruiser, I don't know what a good deal is yet on the British Isles trip I want to take next summer 2019. I just started looking into them a month or two ago. I don't have a lot of seasons/years to compare the prices. I can see what they are going for this summer and next year, but that's about it. It would be great if there was a website or tracker that showed what people ended up paying ( including perks etc) for the same cruise that I was thinking of going on in the past. I'm a bit of a bargain shopper so like when I go food shopping and something is on "sale", I know my prices enough to know if that item is really a good deal or not. I do see some what I think are "good" prices on cruises but most of the time it's during an off season or when I can't go during the year so I can't really take advantage of them anyway. I can only go on cruises in the summer months.

When you mentioned that your cruise will be paid, you don't mean you paid it to the cruise company right? I was thinking you meant saved for it like in the bank, but just wasn't sure if people do that or not.

Believe me I understand to no end. My first cruise in 2016 I was like a deer in headlights when it came to stuff. But I found these boards, found a GREAT TA (even though she thinks I am a pain in the butt sometimes), found the cruise I wanted to take and saved. My first cruise I saved my pennies for 6 months...cashed it in and walked into my TA with the money in cash to pay my 1/2 the cruise off. I enjoyed the first cruise so much that I booked the 2nd cruise before I got off the first one. I also keep all my papers for each cruise I take so that I know what I paid and when I look for other cruises I look back at the papers.

With me I am the opposite...I can only cruise in the winter time, because I work end of March to the middle of October. But I am happy with that because it gets me away from the cold weather of Maryland.

No I really mean pay them off. Each week I work, when I get paid I go to the bank and get rolls of coins. I have jars for each cruise and jars for things like tours for each cruise. When it is almost time to pay the cruise off I cash the change in and pay the cruise off. I have savings charts I use. I save my quarters for the cruise that is the closest, dimes for the next, nickels for the next one and pennies for the next one. When I pay the first cruise off I move the quarters to the next cruise and so forth down the line. This way I am always saving.