Dover to Paris: best way to get there

I will be finishing up a cruise in Dover on Sunday, August 26. Docking at 6am. Thinking of going to Paris for 3 nights and then flying home from there.

What's best way to get from Dover port to Paris? Saw bus for 6 hours but was thinking maybe heading back to London for eurostar might be better. Thoughts? Any idea what time to book eurostar if go that route? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

In my opinion (for what its worth!) there are basically 2 ways of doing this.

1. Get a train from Dover Priory to Ashford International (no need to go all the way back to London), then Eurostar to Paris. Unfortunately they have cut down the number of trains stopping at Ashford to 2 or 3 a day, so basically you have got to get to Ashford for the 0955 train. Current price for that Sunday is £56ea. There are 4 trains from Dover Priory between 0749 and 0858 that would get you to Ashford ...latest one arriving at 0930, which still gives you 25 mins to change platforms. Cost for this local train is £11.70ea plus a taxi from the ship to Dover Priory station, say £7. http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/120263.aspx

2. Get the ferry from Dover to Calais, then train from Calais to Paris.

There is a P&O ferry roughly every 45 mins and the trip is 90mins, cost is £60ea for a foot passenger.

Calais to Paris TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse...very fast!) runs every 2 hrs or so on a Sunday for €22 each. https://www.trainline.eu/train-times/paris-to-calais?gclid=Cj0KCQjwzcbWBRDmARIsAM6uChUYfXcbljKQ7TSCuXLRsyIahP6khF_e-WEPtMieN2Dy0o0VGLkI_Y8aAhEeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMaqm9rButoCFUw74AodLWwCsA

I think there is a free shuttle between Calais ferry port and the station.

Remember when planning that France is one hour ahead of the UK, so make sure you double check arrival/departure times as they will be given as local times.

Simon

which still gives you 25 mins to change platforms.

It’s more than a platform change to check-in for Eurostar, with security and immigration to clear - their stated minimum check-in is 30 minutes for Standard Class, although this is not as hard a deadline as airlines. But 25 minutes from arrival domestic side at Ashford would be pushing their tolerance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Totally forgot about security etc, so as CE's post, you need to be there by about 0900 to be on the safe side. Dover - Ashford train, don't bother pre booking...no real advantage, just walk up and pay at the station. You can get any train with that ticket.

Just googled for taxi fares and this one https://www.porttaxis-uk.co.uk/Dover?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8MvWBRC8ARIsAOFSVBWk2LrkAufmh1AMhnSR1tS3Slrl1Khiqn3lMOSQYOdBrs2YudIdwXAaAhFCEALw_wcB quotes £47 from the cruise terminal to Ashford station. Its about 25 miles, all on dual carriageway or motorway, so would take under 30 mins.

Simon

As sddsddean suggests, getting Eurostar from Ashford is the best way. As it's a Sunday, a taxi is the best option as the trains from Dover on a Sunday are often not running for engineering works (although, if this is the case for your date, they do often do a bus from Dover Priory to Ashford). Best check on the Southeaster Rail website for planned works in June. Also, that is the Bank Holiday weekend in the UK so things might be a bit busier although traffic should be fine on a Sunday morning but give yourself 45 minutes to get there just in case. Ashford International is not as huge a station as St Pancras so the security bit is usually pretty quick as not that many passengers embark there. Have fun in Paris!

As sddsddean suggests, getting Eurostar from Ashford is the best way. As it's a Sunday, a taxi is the best option as the trains from Dover on a Sunday are often not running for engineering works (although, if this is the case for your date, they do often do a bus from Dover Priory to Ashford). Best check on the Southeaster Rail website for planned works in June. Also, that is the Bank Holiday weekend in the UK so things might be a bit busier although traffic should be fine on a Sunday morning but give yourself 45 minutes to get there just in case. Ashford International is not as huge a station as St Pancras so the security bit is usually pretty quick as not that many passengers embark there. Have fun in Paris!

Thanks for the heads up. I am going with the 9:55 Eurostar for Ashford based on what everyone is saying. I am thinking of booking private taxi directly to Ashford Int.. Does anyone know what time I should have them pick me up? We are getting in at 6am. I have never been on Princess before and never to Dover so not sure what pick up time should be.

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up. I am going with the 9:55 Eurostar for Ashford based on what everyone is saying. I am thinking of booking private taxi directly to Ashford Int.. Does anyone know what time I should have them pick me up? We are getting in at 6am. I have never been on Princess before and never to Dover so not sure what pick up time should be.

Thanks!

If you can do your own luggage, then I think you can get off around 7 am. Dover Cruise Terminal isn't a busy place as not a lot of ships use it (unlike Southampton) so I'd suggest booking your taxi for about 7.30 am (or even 8 am) to give plenty of time to get there without any stress. You can always have breakfast at Ashford International if you want. You then don't have to rush to check in and have a more relaxing morning. As per a different post on here, I'd recommend Premier Taxis in Folkestone as they don't charge extra for a Sunday. But, with my experience of local taxis, is if you book it this early you should contact them again whilst you're on your cruise just to make sure they have made the arrangements!