Cocaine bust on the Sea Princess W.C. 2016

Aus Traveller

Here is the latest in the case of the three French Canadians who were arrested on the Sea Princess at the end of the World Cruise in 2016. They were booked to continue on the ship to Fremantle, so it is believed the drugs were to be taken off the ship, maybe during the port call in Brisbane. Security is not so tight for passengers disembarking on a day visit, rather than at the end of a cruise.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/sugar-daddy-convinced-canadian-model-to-bring-cocaine-into-sydney-20180321-p4z5hu.html

I believe drugs are much more common on cruise ships than we (the public) may think. I think the Cruise Industry try to keep these kinds of things quite. Like crime on cruise ships, they want people to think cruise travel is 100% safe which it is not. So many ask why do you cruise then? Because the risks are low and I accept those risks. But I don't like the industry covering up what is happening on these ships. Very little regulation and reporting becasue of the home countries for cruise ships.

And I thought other countries were tougher than the US when it came to sentencing for drug offences. Four and a half years? Way too little.

Agreed. Still can't understand how people can get this on board with no issue. And they warn about bringing booze on board.....

And I thought other countries were tougher than the US when it came to sentencing for drug offences. Four and a half years? Way too little.

At least we don’t shoot them like Indonesia!

• 4 weeks later...

The Washington Post covered the story today: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/04/18/she-instagrammed-her-exotic-drug-smuggling-vacation-now-cocaine-babe-is-going-to-prison/?utm_term=.af1dea855b8a

I particularly liked this sentence:

The two women were packing so much cocaine in their suitcases that,
, they “did not have much room for clean underwear or spare toothbrushes.”

I believe drugs are much more common on cruise ships than we (the public) may think. I think the Cruise Industry try to keep these kinds of things quite. Like crime on cruise ships, they want people to think cruise travel is 100% safe which it is not. So many ask why do you cruise then? Because the risks are low and I accept those risks. But I don't like the industry covering up what is happening on these ships. Very little regulation and reporting becasue of the home countries for cruise ships.

Everything you said is based upon your speculation. Lots of “I believes” concluding with “I don’t like” with no backing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Everything you said is based upon your speculation. Lots of “I believes” concluding with “I don’t like” with no backing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is this person’s opinion. That’s what “I believe “ signals. The whole thing is subjective. They did not try to make this a statement of fact. They did not even try to persuade. In case you’re new to CC, we post opinions here all the time. If you have another opinion or have facts to support a different viewpoint, we’d love to read it. I believe, we need more kindness in the world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Washington Post covered the story today: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/04/18/she-instagrammed-her-exotic-drug-smuggling-vacation-now-cocaine-babe-is-going-to-prison/?utm_term=.af1dea855b8a

I particularly liked this sentence:

The two women were packing so much cocaine in their suitcases that,
, they “did not have much room for clean underwear or spare toothbrushes.”

Just enough smack to cover their final cruise statement.

• 2 months later...

I am sorry to bring this thread back to life again but I have just read the story online.

Did the girls get the drugs from the UK and take them from UK to Australia transatlantic through Canada, USA, Panama Canal, South America etc having them onboard for 7 weeks or did they get them onboard in their home country of Canada. The story I read doesn't say. The article I read said American DHS and Canada Border Services flagged them as high risk travellers among the 1800 onboard the ship. If DHS suspected the girls why weren't they search at any number of american ports the ship must have stopped at? Or any number of worse ports for drug offences before Sydney?

I am sorry to bring this thread back to life again but I have just read the story online.

Did the girls get the drugs from the UK and take them from UK to Australia transatlantic through Canada, USA, Panama Canal, South America etc having them onboard for 7 weeks or did they get them onboard in their home country of Canada. The story I read doesn't say. The article I read said American DHS and Canada Border Services flagged them as high risk travellers among the 1800 onboard the ship. If DHS suspected the girls why weren't they search at any number of american ports the ship must have stopped at? Or any number of worse ports for drug offences before Sydney?

The original article posted mentions there's speculation that they brought the drugs on board in Peru.

Perhaps they were being tracked in an attempt to get as many involved as possible? With prison terms like the afore mentioned, it would be very motivating to a lot of people to take their chances.

The original article posted mentions there's speculation that they brought the drugs on board in Peru.

That is a big risk taking hold of drugs in Peru. I am surprised they got the drugs onboard the ship past security wouldn't the ships x-ray machine have picked them up?