Dublin getting from port to centre

Just about to go on our first cruise (Discovery) and our first port of call is Dublin. I have read that some companies don't provide shuttles from Dublin Port to the centre. Previous posts seem to recommend sharing a taxi. But we don't want to be wasting the precious little time we have in Dublin queuing for a taxi. We are fit and used to walking, is that practical? How far is it to walk before you get to interesting places to view? I saw somewhere that there is a bus stop 'just around the corner'. Can anyone give me any more details about this (eg number of bus route)? Any advice that you can give will be appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

Dublin port is an industrial area and there is no public transport to the city centre. You can either take the shuttle bus which most cruise companies seem to organise or else a taxi. Dublin has a glut of taxis and there will be plenty of them looking for business at the cruise terminal, so there will be no queuing.The journey time to the city centre is approximately ten minutes and a taxi should cost around €10-12.

If you insist on walking, then it would take you about an hour to get to O'Connell Bridge. You will be walking through an unattractive, industrial area with articulated vehicles speeding to and from the port as your only company.

Dermot

Previous posts seem to recommend sharing a taxi. But we don't want to be wasting the precious little time we have in Dublin queuing for a taxi. We are fit and used to walking, is that practical? How far is it to walk before you get to interesting places to view? I saw somewhere that there is a bus stop 'just around the corner'. Can anyone give me any more details about this (eg number of bus route)? Any advice that you can give will be appreciated. Thanks

I never been in Dublin Port by walking. But yes, it's just an industrial area if I see via Google Map (satelite mode). Which if you don't mind to see it, then it's not much. I don't know if you can (allow to) walk from the port to the gate. I assume, you can. But need others to advice this.

If you can and manage to walk from dublin port gate (outside Dublin Port) to O'Connell Bridge (city centre), there are some better view to see.

Let me explain.

#1. Is a map of route bus no 53. The one that you mention with 'just around the corner.' Click this link, and zoom in to Dublin Port area: Route Bus 53 from Dublin Ferry Port to Talbot Street.

compare to

#2. click this link and you'll see how long does it take: Google Map walking distance from Dublin Port to O'Connell Bridge

I think the shuttle and taxi will use the same route, only they will turn left on the Talbot Memorial Bridge.

if you take #1, you won't see what on the North Wall Quay and Custom House Quay along the River Liffey such as:

1. Simon Beckett Bridge

2. Jeanie Johnston Tall Ship

3. The Famine Memorial

4. Custom House

5. and then arrive at O'Connell Bridge. you can go further to Trinity College, Dublin Castle, or Temple Bar.

If you take shuttle and taxi or later with one of the HoHo bus, you will see them too.

If you used to walk, I suggest you to walk.

And if you used to walk in the rain, then it won't be a problem either. :cool:

(haha.. raining loves Dublin so much).

Elsa

Which part of Dublin centre does shuttle bus tend to drop off passengers?

There are several Dublin walking tours I can join, perhaps my decision rests on which one is closest to drop off point.

Thanks for your comment.

Just about to go on our first cruise (Discovery) and our first port of call is Dublin. I have read that some companies don't provide shuttles from Dublin Port to the centre. Previous posts seem to recommend sharing a taxi. But we don't want to be wasting the precious little time we have in Dublin queuing for a taxi. We are fit and used to walking, is that practical? How far is it to walk before you get to interesting places to view? I saw somewhere that there is a bus stop 'just around the corner'. Can anyone give me any more details about this (eg number of bus route)? Any advice that you can give will be appreciated. Thanks

If you are interested in paying for the Ho-Ho bus... which is not cheap IMHO... it does stop at the port. You might consider that route. We will be in Dublin in three weeks ~ so excited!! :)

There are several Dublin walking tours I can join, perhaps my decision rests on which one is closest to drop off point.

Thanks for your comment.

I think they all drop off near the Trinity College (ours did as did the other cruise lines in port that day). I can't remember the cost, maybe 5€?

Depending on which terminal you come in to, the nearest tram stop (The Point) could be anywhere between a 10-40 minute (ugly) walk away. If you noticed that you're docked really close to a bridge across the river, then you're only a short walk from the tram stop : http://*******/maps/aUH5U (don't worry, they've long since finished building it!).

The red line Luas (tram) is pretty regular during the day, tickets are available to purchase from the machines on the platform, and that will bring you quickly to the city centre.

http://www.luas.ie/routes/

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Dublin port is an industrial area and there is no public transport to the city centre. You can either take the shuttle bus which most cruise companies seem to organise or else a taxi. Dublin has a glut of taxis and there will be plenty of them looking for business at the cruise terminal, so there will be no queuing.The journey time to the city centre is approximately ten minutes and a taxi should cost around €10-12.

If you insist on walking, then it would take you about an hour to get to O'Connell Bridge. You will be walking through an unattractive, industrial area with articulated vehicles speeding to and from the port as your only company.

Dermot

We need to go to the City Hall to join a walking tour. Our ship, Infinity will dock at 7:30 and the tour starts at 11:00 am. We have plenty of time,so, we wonder can we walk from the port to the city hall? if not, is any public transportation available?

Thanks.

We need to go to the City Hall to join a walking tour. Our ship, Infinity will dock at 7:30 and the tour starts at 11:00 am. We have plenty of time,so, we wonder can we walk from the port to the city hall? if not, is any public transportation available?

Thanks.

Hi,

Yes, you can walk from the port to the City Hall. I would not advise doing so, but it is possible. Please read my previous replies in this thread. I would recommend you to take a taxi to Trinity College, around €10-12, whence it is a five minute walk to City Hall. While waiting for the tour to start, relax over morning coffee in this café across the street from City Hall.

http://www.queenoftarts.ie/

Dermot

G'day I hope you will not mind me hijacking and asking in this thread but are you local to Dublin?

We are visiting England in August and hope to spend 6 days in Dublin area but do not know anything about it (except for the Guinness distillery)

If you are local and would not object could you e-mail me off line so we can talk and you could give me some helpful information if you would be so kind.:)

• 4 weeks later...
If you are interested in paying for the Ho-Ho bus... which is not cheap IMHO... it does stop at the port. You might consider that route. We will be in Dublin in three weeks ~ so excited!! :)

I did not realize that the HOHO stopped at the port. Was it the red or green HOHO? Is there more than one port that cruise ships dock at? We will be on Princess -- not sure where they dock.

I did not realize that the HOHO stopped at the port. Was it the red or green HOHO? Is there more than one port that cruise ships dock at? We will be on Princess -- not sure where they dock.

Maybe what Cupkayke meant was Dublin Bus. Not a HOHO. :p

The Port is one -> Dublin Port but the terminal is more than one, as Thoie explained above.

As you'll be on Princess, (is it for June 14th?), I see from Dublin Port website she'll be docked at Burke Shipphing Group terminal. Last time I tried to walk (yeah right :cool:) from Burke Shipping Group, it took 10 minutes from the gate of the terminal to Luas (tram) red line at The Point stop. With Luas, to go to city centre area, you can get off either at Abbey Street stop or Jervis stop.

* Burke Shipping Group: is one of the terminals which cruise dock.

* The gate of the terminal: where there is a checkpoint for Burke Shipping Group company. It's a restricted area, and only passengers can pass the gate in and out. well, also the ones who work there of course.

I went there with Dublin Bus no 53 from city centre. It was easy to get off coz there is a stop sign in front of the area (across the street of Burke Shipping) but I don't see a stop sign to wait for the bus which will bring you to city centre. :rolleyes:

• 9 months later...

Hi you guys !!!

hope all of you had a great time in Dublin -- I found this cc link when looking for port info

So - how did it all work out ? We are on Princess be in Dublin April 29th - We have spent 4 days in Dublin in the past and are thinking of going back to Trinity college and moseying around

Not sure of where we dock - but I am interested in your experiences -- we did see where the shuttle into town is free - but 9E pp for the return ticket -- so we are thinking free shuttle in and cab back to pier -

Someone mentioned a free walking tour from City HALL -- WE ARE YET TO FIND THE FREE TOURS - still looking - lol we love the college kids who pick up a few euros - always fun and interesting !!

any further advice or info woudl be greatly appreciated --

azippy

Hi you guys !!!

hope all of you had a great time in Dublin -- I found this cc link when looking for port info

So - how did it all work out ? We are on Princess be in Dublin April 29th - We have spent 4 days in Dublin in the past and are thinking of going back to Trinity college and moseying around

Not sure of where we dock - but I am interested in your experiences -- we did see where the shuttle into town is free - but 9E pp for the return ticket -- so we are thinking free shuttle in and cab back to pier -

Someone mentioned a free walking tour from City HALL -- WE ARE YET TO FIND THE FREE TOURS - still looking - lol we love the college kids who pick up a few euros - always fun and interesting !!

any further advice or info woudl be greatly appreciated --

azippy

• 3 years later...

Need help. We have to bring along a scooter for my husband. The city scape busses that we booked said there is a free shuttle from the ship to where we pick up buses. Does anyone know how we can find out if they can accomodate an electric breakdown scooter

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Need help. We have to bring along a scooter for my husband. The city scape busses that we booked said there is a free shuttle from the ship to where we pick up buses. Does anyone know how we can find out if they can accomodate an electric breakdown scooter

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi picesfl,

I don't have experience using any of the buses, so I only can advise you to contact the cruise line.

What I understand: different cruise line have contract with different bus company for the shuttle.

Most of the time the buses I have seen were like these: Barton buses. The pictures were from 2014 but I saw one today (Oriana - P&O was at the dock). You can see that the double deckers have disabled sign on if they allowed one to enter.

and the coach bus have lower storage compartment to store the electric breakdown scooter.

but I am not sure if they are the ones you will use, better contact the cruise line. :)

One of the choices is you can use taxi to go from the port to city center. It's about €10-15 one way.

I found this guide for your information; dated 2013 but it's still valid.

Elsa

Thanks for your comment.

Just off the Celebrity Silhouette. We did have several guests on our ship using scooters and they were accommodated by the shuttles. I think there were specific ones. The shuttles dropped us off and picked us up on the North Side of Merrion Park. There were several different HOHO representatives there to get you onto their buses. We chose to walk to Trinity College (about a 10-15 minute leisurely walk) straight up from our drop point. From there everything we wanted to see was "walk able" with a good map.

• 7 months later...
Just off the Celebrity Silhouette. We did have several guests on our ship using scooters and they were accommodated by the shuttles. I think there were specific ones. The shuttles dropped us off and picked us up on the North Side of Merrion Park. There were several different HOHO representatives there to get you onto their buses. We chose to walk to Trinity College (about a 10-15 minute leisurely walk) straight up from our drop point. From there everything we wanted to see was "walk able" with a good map.

Did Celebrity charge for the port shuttle into town, and was it available to come back to the ship?

Thanks!

Did Celebrity charge for the port shuttle into town, and was it available to come back to the ship?

Thanks!

Yes there was a charge...may have been $10 per person. Will try to check my notes....and yes they are constantly running between the port and the city

Sent from my iPad using Forums