Cruise around UK & Ireland

Kerwick

Hi, we will be sailing on QV in May on the British Isles - 13 nights, May 2018. Has any one done the Titanic museum by themselves (not a ship tour) and if so is it better to pre book tickets and pickup at the museum counter. Many thanks for any advise.

Hi, we will be sailing on QV in May on the British Isles - 13 nights, May 2018. Has any one done the Titanic museum by themselves (not a ship tour) and if so is it better to pre book tickets and pickup at the museum counter. Many thanks for any advise.

The Titanic museum is available as a ships tour with many cruise lines. They tend to get you there by 10am. If you do it independently aim to get there at 9am when they first open and beat the rush. It does get busy particularly when cruise ships are in port sending people there by the busload. You can get the free shuttle bus, if they are provided into town then a taxi from the drop off point for about £5 or get a taxi from the ship which is slightly more expensive. We did the shuttle bus then taxi to museum from the shuttle drop off point and it worked quite well. Bought tickets at the counter and went in. Some of the exhibits are interactive or involved you getting into a lift/ride set up where a replica of the Harland Wolff yard is "in action" as you travel. This is the type of place where queues build up later when it gets busier. Hence my suggestion get there early as you can. Taxis are available at the exit as new people arrive to take you to the next place you want to get to.

Regards John

We did the Titanic museum on our own from memory I think we arrived late morning and it wasnt too busy (we were there in July).We took a taxi direct from the ship and shared with another couple. I think it cost less than £10 so with the entrance fee was considerably less than the ship excursion would have been.

Whilst there make sure when you buy your tickets to also book to see the tender boat that was used by Titanic which has been refurbished back to how it was then. It is called SS Nomadic and is really worth seeing. It is outside the museum building.

If you are reasonably mobile it is walkable from the shuttle drop-off (I thought 30 minutes, my wife says 45) and is a decent flat walk through town and across the bridge.

Whilst it was quite busy there wasn’t much of a queue for tickets, although it took a long time to get served in the cafe. Well worth a visit.