Bringing wine on board

Delbankin

I know there are several threads about this but I wondered if there is any restrictions when buying say in the Canaries. We are on a pre-Christmas cruise and enjoy some of the Spanish red wines. Can we bring them back onto the ship and enjoy them in our stateroom without restriction or charge.

D.

Cunard have always been quite relaxed about this. While they specify restrictions to two bottles per person they have not to my knowledge ever enforced this. We have purchased wine in the Canaries, Madeira and the Cape (a half case in the latter) and have never had a problem. Anything within reason you should not have a problem. In Martin and Jan's diary of their world cruise on QM2 at https://martinandjansjourney.com/ he often refers to purchasing wines and beers in various ports.

This is one of the great things about Cunard...Bring what you want on board and drink it in your stateroom with no extra charges or confiscation or policing of your consumption. And you can bring your special wine into the dining room and pay a reasonable corkage fee to enjoy it there. So much better than other lines (hello Celebrity??) that make you feel like a child, or an indentured booze purchaser.

I know there are several threads about this but I wondered if there is any restrictions when buying say in the Canaries. We are on a pre-Christmas cruise and enjoy some of the Spanish red wines. Can we bring them back onto the ship and enjoy them in our stateroom without restriction or charge.

D.

This may help - from the Cunard FAQ:

You may bring wine or champagne on board (over the age of 21) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $20 (fee subject to change). Wine and champagne gifts purchased via the Cunard Gift Collection are exempt from the corkage fee, please show your gift card to your waiter.

We have never bothered - but on the only occasion we had a shared table in Britannia one couple with us did and wanted it at the table - so paid the $20 per bottle. A little bit cheaper than the cheapest Cunard wine + 15% service charge. But they drank Rose for the entire 3 weeks so I assume and hope they liked Rose with everything?