Britannia Sail Away Parties

Davey M

Have a look on Youtube - unless the weather is bad they definitely have one on the last port day and also one other for 1 weeks cruise. Sometimes they have a classical sail away. They are not everyone's idea of fun - singing, flag waving, dancing and of course drinking if you want, but we try and go to at least one. You have to experience at least one.

Hi

I suppose it all depends on the ports.

On Oceana last year we had fabulous sailaways in Kotor and Corfu (as Aurora was docked next to us) Brilliant events. We have also done the Great British Sailaway before and loved it. Have to say, we didn't last year as we had had such fab sailaways at other ports! (Then again we have done the GB sailaway before many times)

If you are up for the fun, a bit of flag waving and a good time then we would say go for the GB sailaway. Some people hate it - we love it and thousands of others will tool. It is just a bit of fun and those who don't like it need to remember that they don't have to go.

There is one clip in youtube for Britannia Madeira 2015 August and we were there -- and on the clip! Will find it for you

Have a great time

• 1 year later...
Have a look on Youtube - unless the weather is bad they definitely have one on the last port day and also one other for 1 weeks cruise. Sometimes they have a classical sail away. They are not everyone's idea of fun - singing, flag waving, dancing and of course drinking if you want, but we try and go to at least one. You have to experience at least one.

Sound more like an event at Butlins - I shall avoid it like the plague.

What are the sail away parties like on the Britannia. Do they select a Port when on route to have them.

In the Fjords on Britannia this year, they had them at every port. Olden was great as the locals come out and have their own party on land. The final one from Bergen was a big party. Yes they are tacky, but after a few cocktails, great fun...

Andy

If people did not enjoy them they would not go to them, far to many come on here just to be negative and criticise what others find enjoyable with a look down their nose attitude.

What was wrong with Butlins anyway !

If people did not enjoy them they would not go to them, far to many come on here just to be negative and criticise what others find enjoyable with a look down their nose attitude.

What was wrong with Butlins anyway !

More people avoid them than go to them

Nothing wrong with Butlins by the way. The sail away parties make Butlins look posh by comparison.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

There is usually some kind of "party" on sail away. Sometimes just recorded music, sometimes a live band, sometimes party dances led by the Entertainment Team. The big flag waving, conga line, patriotic songs and flag waving Great British Sailaway is usually reserved for the last port before home.

However, it is governed by such factors as the weather, the port you are sailing from (some port authorities don't allow them) and time of sailaway. The main factor as to how cringe worthy, patriotic, xenophobic etc, etc depends on the Entertainment Manager.

PS. It seem to be that the people who sneer and look down at Butlins are those who have never been there.

There is usually some kind of "party" on sail away. Sometimes just recorded music, sometimes a live band, sometimes party dances led by the Entertainment Team. The big flag waving, conga line, patriotic songs and flag waving Great British Sailaway is usually reserved for the last port before home.

However, it is governed by such factors as the weather, the port you are sailing from (some port authorities don't allow them) and time of sailaway. The main factor as to how cringe worthy, patriotic, xenophobic etc, etc depends on the Entertainment Manager.

PS. It seem to be that the people who sneer and look down at Butlins are those who have never been there.

Before cruising, we would have said it was not for us, but I also would have said I wouldn’t be eating 3 desserts from the buffet or drinking bright orange cocktails with an umbrella in the afternoon....

Funny what cruising does to you...

More people avoid them than go to them

Nothing wrong with Butlins by the way. The sail away parties make Butlins look posh by comparison.

Where is your evidence for this on all the twenty or so cruises I have been on I would say more went than did not.

Last cruise on Arcadia. About 500 on deck for the party, therefore 1500 not attending.

The obvious answer is, how do you know did you count them? However I agree with you the majority do not go, even to the great British sail away, which, is always best attended.

It’s quite simple, there is not the space for everyone.

Why on earth would people complain about an event that they don’t attend and do not need attend.

I cannot stand bingo but do not complain that somewhere on the ship people are playing it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The obvious answer is, how do you know did you count them? However I agree with you the majority do not go, even to the great British sail away, which, is always best attended.

Why on earth would people complain about an event that they don’t attend and do not need attend.

I cannot stand bingo but do not complain that somewhere on the ship people are playing it.

Hear, hear (y)

Exactly right.

We used to go to the Great British Sailaway and occasionally to other sailaways but have been to so many that we no longer bother but would never discourage anyone else from attending, each to his own.

• 3 weeks later...