Another Majestic Princess redeployment?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:05 PM.
London
148 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
A CC member posted a link on Facebook to this a article.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...nt-change.html

Not sure whether these will be open to the West though. Will be interesting to see how things pan out and whether changes are made to the ship as a result.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Instagram Feed https://www.instagram.com/geoffa30/
18,334 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by Geoffa30

Not sure whether these will be open to the West though. Will be interesting to see how things pan out and whether changes are made to the ship as a result.
Some Princess ships are already being re-positioned.
Cambridgeshire
2,526 Posts
Joined Dec 2011

I have been to Keelung on a Princess cruise. It is in Taiwan which is part of China with the Peoples Republic of China regarding it as one of their "special economic regions". The Taiwanese government seem to accept this but in some senses regard themselves as independent. Do you recall Mr. Trump phoning their president and a bit of a row with PRC happening? I think Chinese nationals need a visa to go there due to it's special status. So in my opinion it is not as extreme Chinese doctrine there and foreign nationals are more likely to be accepted as arriving in a controlled manner to a smaller island to get on a cruise ship. The Peoples Republic of China are much more careful about mainland travellers. I am more hopeful with this as a turnaround port.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess
COLORADO
59,527 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Back to the Asian market where it was going anyway.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32
13,141 Posts
Joined May 2005
Well this makes perfect since to me. From the incredibility warm welcome Majestic and we passengers receive from Keelung on June 30th.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
L RI
2017 cruises completed
Scandinavian. Crown... Aug-Sept.... South East Asia...Majestic..June-July... Caribbean...Anthem..Mar.- April ...South America... Crown.. Jan.-Feb
Still favor land trips best, but as I log more sea and river days on ships and hours on CC , I might become a "Cruise Lover" sooner than I think or am I already?
1ST Ocean Liner Cruise
1983 Caribbean, Carnivale
1ST River Cruise
2006 China, Viking Century

My avatar is of a Marine Iguana the most amazing reptile ever.......unfortunately this guy now has a nose job since the recent software changes on CC. I viewed this indigenous iguana and swam with his friends in the Galapagos islands, while traveling on X's Xpedition in 2009 & 2010. Those adventures and a cruise around the Horn yields some unique, close up encounters with wildlife. And let's not forget Tahiti, Mexico, The Caribbean, Hawaii, Belize, the great reef, Indonesia,etc.etc...diving and snorkeling opens up a kaleidoscope of colors.....take time to enjoy experiences with nature and it's underwater wonders.
If you care ..I have enough cruises with Royal to drink in the concierge lounge and get an amenity or 2 and with Princess to get a bar set up and some OB spending cash.....Skoal.....or skål

2,940 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
The Princess sailings from the Chinese mainland are handled a bit differently than most Princess cruises. The ships that have been based in China are basically charted to a Chinese company that does the passenger bookings, with Princess providing the ship and crew. That is why you cannot find those cruises on Princess schedule. When they shift to Australia they are back under Princess control for bookings.

I suspect that the charter arrangement with the Chinese firm is not working out as expected. If the ship is home ported in Taiwan then it will be interesting to see if the individual cruises can be booked on the Princess web site.
League City, TX
40,055 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by john watson
I have been to Keelung on a Princess cruise. It is in Taiwan which is part of China with the Peoples Republic of China regarding it as one of their "special economic regions". The Taiwanese government seem to accept this but in some senses regard themselves as independent.
No matter what China would like to consider Taiwan as being, Taiwan is an independent nation and in no way, shape or form accepts any type of control from the PRC.
League City, TX
40,055 Posts
Joined Sep 2005

Not just Princess, but also other lines such as RCI are finding that the Chinese market is not developing as fast as they would like and are pulling some ships out of the market.

One problem is that China and South Korea have been in a political squabble and the itineraries from China are no longer allowed to make a port call in South Korea. This has made the itineraries less interesting to the potential cruisers.