Should i change my state room?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:58 PM.
Midwest
183 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Hubby and I are booked on the Emerald Princess in October to the Mexican Rivera. We prefer balconies in mid ship... talked to Princess TA and she convinced us to book room R618. she said it was only one away from being mid-ship but the price point was more affordable. I've since learned that this room is right under the Horizon food court and I'm really concerned about the noise- hubby is very sensitive to noise.

Unfortunately, there are only a handful of cabins left in our class: most all in the Rivera deck in the aft (should have same noise problem). R743, 739, 735, 731, 727, 723, and 707.
Two rooms on Aloha Deck: A 202, A 201
One room on Baja Deck: B201
One room on Caribe Deck: C108

Not sure we will be as happy in the very front of the ship, as I have motion sickness issues.

Any advice?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
Save

Save
Save

Save
Save

Save
Save
Williamsburg, VA
405 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by octoberdana
Hubby and I are booked on the Emerald Princess in October to the Mexican Rivera. We prefer balconies in mid ship... talked to Princess TA and she convinced us to book room R818. she said it was only one away from being mid-ship but the price point was more affordable. I've since learned that this room is right under the Horizon food court and I'm really concerned about the noise- hubby is very sensitive to noise.

Unfortunately, there are only a handful of cabins left in our class: most all in the Rivera deck in the aft (should have same noise problem). R743, 739, 735, 731, 727, 723, and 707.

Not sure we will be as happy in the very front of the ship, as I have motion sickness issues.

Any advice?
Keep you cabin on Riviera.
MD
306 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Hubby and I are booked on the Emerald Princess in October to the Mexican Rivera. We prefer balconies in mid ship... talked to Princess TA and she convinced us to book room R818. she said it was only one away from being mid-ship but the price point was more affordable. I've since learned that this room is right under the Horizon food court and I'm really concerned about the noise- hubby is very sensitive to noise.

Any advice?

I'm guessing you meant R618? If so that looks like the best choice of whats available. We prefer Baja deck but not that cabin choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gary & Tracey

Carnival Sensation - (Western Carib) August 04
Carnival Celebration - (Bahamas) April 05
Caribbean Princess (Eastern Carib) - April 06
Explorer of the Seas - (Bermuda) September 06
Caribbean Princess (Western Carib) - June 07
Caribbean Princess (NY - San Juan) - Oct 08
Carnival Inspiration - (Western Carib) April 09
Sapphire Princess - Alaska Interior - Sep 10
Carnival Pride - (Bahamas) - Jan 12
NCL Pearl - (Country Cruise 2014) - Jan 14
Grandeur of the Seas - (Western Carib) - Dec 14
Island Princess (Panama Canal Transit) - Dec 15
Caribbean Princess (ABC Islands) 14 Jan 17
Upcoming:
Caribbean Princess (ABC Islands) May 18
Regal Princess (Caribbean Islander - NY-FLL) Nov 18
Oregon
1,521 Posts
Joined May 2012
Seems to me your choices are to:

1. Take your chances under the buffet, which will likely produce noise late at night and early in the morning or;

2. Move to the front of the ship. In which case you might as well get the Caribe balcony with the bigger outdoor area.

As I said on your other thread, we have sailed in Caribe balconies toward the front several times and have no problem with them. That's what we would do, take the one remaining Caribe balcony. This morning there were three, now there is one. Obviously someone else is willing to sail up front.

Do you have a reason to believe you will have seasickness issues up there, or do you just assume so? I've met a lot of people, including my wife, who think they will suffer seasickness and mostly they don't.

Jim
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming: 10-night Mexican Riviera, Grand Princess, Jan. 12, 2018; 1-night Transatlantic to Barcelona, Crown Princess, April 3, 2018; 11-night Baltic cruise, Regal Princess, Aug. 9, 2018; 7-night Northern California Coast, Ruby Princess, Sept. 22, 2018

2000: Sovereign of the Seas, Bahamas * 2004: Carnival Pride, Mexican Riviera * 2007: Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera * 2010: Carnival Paradise, Baja * 2012: Norwegian Jewel, Alaska; Carnival Splendor, Mexican Riviera * 2014: Celebrity Constellation, Cozumel and Key West; Carnival Valor, Eastern Caribbean; Golden Princess, San Diego and Ensenada, B2B * 2015: Norwegian Dawn, Western Caribbean; Crown Princess, Alaska; Grand Princess, California coast; Island Princess, Panama Canal * 2016: Crown Princess, Mexican Riviera; Regal Princess, Copenhagen to NY, TA. * 2017: Royal Princess, Caribbean; Emerald Princess, Vancouver to L.A.
Virgina
4,168 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
If you don't get sea sick midship it is highly unlikely moving to the front will be noticeable. I would do Carib also because we spend a lot of time on our balcony and that double one is awesome. Also no noise because passengers above and below.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Royal Caribbean February 2000 (Eastern)
Carnival Valor March 2007 (Western)
Carnival Legend March 2008 (Western)
Carnival Fascination March 2009 (Key West/Nassau)
Carnival Glory August 2009 (Eastern)
Carnival Glory June 2010 (Canada)
Carnival Fascination December 2010 (Bahamas)
Carnival Legend March 2012 (Western)
Caribbean Princess March 2013 (Southern)
Carnival Victory January 2014 (Western)
Carnival Fantasy March 2014 (Eastern)
Grand Princess May 2014 (Alaska)
Carnival Sunshine February 2015 (Western)
Carnival Conquest December 2015 (Western)
Carnival Sunshine October 2016 (Canada)
Carnival Magic December 2016 (Eastern)
South Carolina
28,493 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Staying with the cabin you have seems like your best option all considered and feel you'll still enjoy and have a wonderful time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
COLORADO
59,527 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
I say stay in the 700's on Riviera. We have many times and the HC above is carpeted in that area by Cafe Caribe.
We have not had any noise issues back there. The further back the better.

The C108 would be good because of the great balcony.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32
695 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
I was in R743 on a TA on the Emerald 4 years ago -- loved it. No noise issues & great access to the aft deck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My future: Sapphire (June 2018)

My past: NCL (1967); Sitmar ('74, '78, '79, '81, '82, '86); Commodore ('75); RCCL ('80, '83, '99); KD on the Rhine ('83); American Hawaii ('85, '87); Celebrity ('98); Premier ('99); American West (2000); HAL (2014) Princess (Dawn x3, Crown x4, Grand x3, old Royal x2, Diamond, Ruby x2, Emerald x2, Star)
18,334 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Hubby and I are booked on the Emerald Princess in October to the Mexican Rivera. We prefer balconies in mid ship... talked to Princess TA and she convinced us to book room R618. she said it was only one away from being mid-ship but the price point was more affordable. I've since learned that this room is right under the Horizon food court and I'm really concerned about the noise- hubby is very sensitive to noise.
R618 is in the Aft, one cabin away from the Mid-Aft, not Midship.

If you want to switch cabins, I suggest any of the cabins R743, 739, 735, 731, 727, 723, and 707. It is under Cafe Caribe that is frequented by less passengers.than Horizon Court.
Oregon
1,287 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by easyboy
R618 is in the Aft, one cabin away from the Mid-Aft, not Midship.

If you want to switch cabins, I suggest any of the cabins R743, 739, 735, 731, 727, 723, and 707. It is under Cafe Caribe that is frequented by less passengers.than Horizon Court.
I completely agree. We have stayed in this area (R618) and had no noise issues. Our favorites cabins are the aft R700's on Grand Class ships... You can go straight out the back door to the adults only pool & up one floor to the bar or take a quick flight up the stairs to the buffet for coffee & snacks. So convenient!
Burlington, VT
6,924 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
There will likely be cancellations around the final payment date. I would recommend checking cabin availability a few days prior to a day or two after the final payment due date. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

XXRoll Calls - 2017: Royal - October 11, 2017Royal - October 21, 2015
XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018Royal - Jan 29, 2018Royal - Feb 8, 2018Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 Reflection - January 28, 2019 Golden - Apr 16, 2019
Tampa, Florida area
12,056 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by Shelly97060
I completely agree. We have stayed in this area (R618) and had no noise issues. Our favorites cabins are the aft R700's on Grand Class ships... You can go straight out the back door to the adults only pool & up one floor to the bar or take a quick flight up the stairs to the buffet for coffee & snacks. So convenient!
Yeah! I love those R700 cabins too. For the conveniences mentioned above, as well as that it tends to be a quiet area with limited foot traffic in the corridor.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Flamomo

Completed cruises: (377 days on Princess ... so far!)
2004 Coral Princess (Panama Canal & W. Caribbean)
2005 Sun Princess (Eastern Caribbean)
2006 Island Princess (Hawai'i)
2007 Sea Princess (Southern Caribbean)
2007 Golden Princess (Mexican Riviera)
2008 Diamond Princess (Hawai'i)
2008 Tahitian Princess (Tahiti & FP)
2009 Star Princess (Alaska Inside Passage)
2010 Golden Princess (Hawai'i)
2011 Emerald Princess (Eastern Caribbean)
2011 Sapphire Princess (Alaska Inside Passage)
2011 Sapphire Princess (28 day r/t LA-HI-Samoa-French Polynesia-LA)
2011 Saphire Princess (Mexican Riviera), done as B2B with the 28 day above
2012 Star Princess (r/t SF-Hawaii)
2012 Ruby Princess (19 day T/A Venice to FLL)
2013 Emerald Princess (Southern Caribbean)
2013 Pacific Princess (12 day Venice to Athens)
2013 Crown Princess (26 day B2B Southampton to the Canaries, and T/A)
2014 Crown Princess Andes & So America (16 days Valpariso to LA)
2014 Carnival Paradise - First ever non-Princess cruise - just a quickie with family!
2014 Caribbean Princess (9 day B2B with friends)
2015 Ruby Princess So America (32 days FLL to Valpariso)
2015 Emerald Princess (T/A Barcelona to FLL)
2016 Caribbean Princess (30 day EB T/A including British Isles itinerary)
2016 Pacific Princess (17 day T/A Rome to FLL)

2017 Pacific Princess (23 days Dover to Venic77

NEXT UP!!

North East England
94 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by A&Jfamily
If you don't get sea sick midship it is highly unlikely moving to the front will be noticeable. I would do Carib also because we spend a lot of time on our balcony and that double one is awesome. Also no noise because passengers above and below.

From personal experience I wouldn't agree with this. I was at the front of the ship B102 crossing the Gulf of Alaska and suffered horrendous sea sickness in rough seas - was an amazing balcony view for the inside passage though which was fortunately smooth sailing. However since this time I have generally booked mid or mid aft cabins - last time in February and crossing the Tasman Sea to Sydney we had gale force winds. From the balcony you could see the considerable movement up and down at the front and back of the ship but I felt nothing in the mid ship cabin [Dolphin Deck] and was not effected with motion sickness at all. I would never now travel at the front of the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sheila & David
2019 - Royal Princess - Pacific Coastal
2018 - Sapphire Princess - Baltic Cruise
2017 - Emerald Princess - Auckland - Sydney + Australian Land Tour
2016 - Sapphire Princess - Malaysia & Thailand Grand Adventure
2014 - Diamond Princess - Singapore - Yokohama
2008 - Diamond Princess - Alaska
Chelsea MA
3,998 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Originally posted by -Lew-
There will likely be cancellations around the final payment date. I would recommend checking cabin availability a few days prior to a day or two after the final payment due date. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Good advice Lew!! I agree with you.
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Midwest
183 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
It is after final payment so this is what's left.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
Save

Save
Save

Save
Save

Save
Save
Midwest
183 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Are the balconies on Rivera and Baja deck covered?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
Save

Save
Save

Save
Save

Save
Save