P&o excursions

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:01 PM.
Manchester uk
110 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
To return to the topic of excursions; the shore excursion I wanted to book for my next cruise in five weeks is full, but there is an option to be waitlisted. Has anyone had any luck in being allocated a place on a waitlisted excursion? If there are enough passengers waitlisted would they be likely to provide an extra tour? Must say that I am very cross with myself for leaving things so late.
Manchester, England
285 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Hi Mostonian, We were on a wait list once, can't remember which excursion it was, but we did manage to get on it in the end.
Good luck with yours.

Rick.
swindon
32 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
We have been talking to P&O about this exact thing - my (non drinking) Mum and I are going on a two-week Med cruise on October 1st and we have £250 onboard spend each. We booked it via my travel agent and I thought we could book a couple of tours and the money would vanish no worries. But not so and P&O have told me the if we don't use it we loose it - now I'm worried my Mum, especially, may well have a surplus as she's not a designer shopper nor someone who likes to get herself pampered! She'd rather go for a nice walk, bless her!
It's a one off cruise for her and she won't fly so I want her to see what she wants to, but am also very wary about a big spend on top of our initial outlay beforehand when we have a lot to spend on board (we've got two single cabins)
So, I've no experience of booking tours onboard. Can anyone tell me how to go about it when we get on board (and where?) and how likely we are to be able to get booked? Obviously it'll be easier if we are flexible. I thought maybe book one that's very important to us beforehand and after that book one or two more on board if they really do have some availability - also reading other comments people are talking about wait-listing five weeks before sailing ..... that's got me worried. Can I ask where you're going please?!
I thought of phoning P&O for advice but I'm sure they'll try and get us to book ahead. My experience has been that I find their answers very much following a script.
Carlisle, Cumbria, UK. No Carlisle is not in Scotland
247 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by s&gsjollies
We have been talking to P&O about this exact thing - my (non drinking) Mum and I are going on a two-week Med cruise on October 1st and we have £250 onboard spend each. We booked it via my travel agent and I thought we could book a couple of tours and the money would vanish no worries. But not so and P&O have told me the if we don't use it we loose it - now I'm worried my Mum, especially, may well have a surplus as she's not a designer shopper nor someone who likes to get herself pampered! She'd rather go for a nice walk, bless her!
It's a one off cruise for her and she won't fly so I want her to see what she wants to, but am also very wary about a big spend on top of our initial outlay beforehand when we have a lot to spend on board (we've got two single cabins)
So, I've no experience of booking tours onboard. Can anyone tell me how to go about it when we get on board (and where?) and how likely we are to be able to get booked? Obviously it'll be easier if we are flexible. I thought maybe book one that's very important to us beforehand and after that book one or two more on board if they really do have some availability - also reading other comments people are talking about wait-listing five weeks before sailing ..... that's got me worried. Can I ask where you're going please?!
I thought of phoning P&O for advice but I'm sure they'll try and get us to book ahead. My experience has been that I find their answers very much following a script.
Booking on board is simplicity itself. There is a dedicated tours desk, usually adjacent to, near the reception and/or atrium, dedicated to booking (and selling) of tours. And, don't worry overmuch about using the OBC, a good chunk of it will be used up for the auto gratuities.
swindon
32 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
What I'm wondering is if they actually have many places on tours left to sell on board or whether there are just dribs and drabs left i.e. the ones that haven't been pre-booked because they're not very popular?
Might seem a silly question if you've been on lots of cruises and booked lots of trips onboard but I have no idea. And the fact that someone is wait-listed 5 weeks before their trip is a worry.
Personally I usually go for independent travel do not know what I'm dealing with and want to find out ahead of time to make sure Mum gets a great experience.
Chesterfield
759 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Unless there are specific tours that we will be disappointed if we miss, we tend to wait until onboard and book then.Sometimes they put on an extra coach if tours are waitlisted and there is the demand..For instance we are cruising to the Greek Islands soon but haven t booked any in advance because there are a couple of tours in each port that we would be happy with.If there is a particular tour that we feel is a 'must see'we book that before we go. Sometimes there are port talks onboard and occasionaly we have changed our minds about an excursion after watching.
As someone else pointed out any obc will soon be used if you leave the tips on and buy a few drinks.Alternately pay to eat in one of the speciality restaurants.Whatever you decide enjoy your cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crown Princess 2011
Independence of the Seas 2012
Queen Elizabeth 2013
Oceana March 2014
Ventura October 2014
Ventura April 2015
Cruise & Maritime July 2015
Arcadia Sept 2015
Ventura Feb 2016
Emerald Princess June 2016
Arcadia October 2016
Britannia March 2017
Britannia June 2017
Azura September 2017
Chesterfield
759 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
P.S. I think a lot of people wait until they get onboard to book shore excursions.In my experience there are usually a lot of places left but we always try and go to shore excursions desk on the first day or two
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crown Princess 2011
Independence of the Seas 2012
Queen Elizabeth 2013
Oceana March 2014
Ventura October 2014
Ventura April 2015
Cruise & Maritime July 2015
Arcadia Sept 2015
Ventura Feb 2016
Emerald Princess June 2016
Arcadia October 2016
Britannia March 2017
Britannia June 2017
Azura September 2017
bucks
635 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by dsrdsrdsr
I think the point isn't that there's anything wrong with inside cabins as a bedroom, but anyone who uses them as a cheap drinking zone might just be slightly too much in need of alcohol . I always have an inside cabin, but wouldn't want to hang out there.
yes thats what I meant!
I can understand a drink on your balcony bit seems to me to be a bit miserable to sit drinking in a windowless room just to save money
Lancashire
2,912 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by s&gsjollies
What I'm wondering is if they actually have many places on tours left to sell on board or whether there are just dribs and drabs left i.e. the ones that haven't been pre-booked because they're not very popular?
Might seem a silly question if you've been on lots of cruises and booked lots of trips onboard but I have no idea. And the fact that someone is wait-listed 5 weeks before their trip is a worry.
Personally I usually go for independent travel do not know what I'm dealing with and want to find out ahead of time to make sure Mum gets a great experience.
Most tours still have spaces available when you get on board; but not all. Often, the more popular ones have a warning to that effect in the brochure.

What you suggested in another post is exactly what we do - if a tour looks like exactly the thing for us, we book in advance; if there are two or three roughly equivalent choices, or we simply don't know and want more information, we wait until we're on board. The port lectures give a lot more information than the tours brochure.

One thing is certain, they never all sell out. You will always find a tour with space; you won't be left on board with nowhere to go.
swindon
32 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
Thank you Ann141 - that answers all my questions
We're seriously looking at the big trips now and will probably book one specific trip beforehand and pick up anything else that takes our fancy while we're on board. Mind you, Mum's already decided "Rome will probably be too busy", so wants to visit gardens! Needless to say, I/we've decided we won't necessarily be going on the same trips and I have pointed out that we're on this trip to see corners of the world she's never seen (won't fly), we're out of the holidays to avoid the main rush and we can see gardens in England a lot more cheaply!!!
Think we'll make an early visit to the booking office once on board!
And I reckon she may enjoy the quieter private lounge area if we hit some good weather - not something we looked at with fog on sea days when we went to Norway and a few brave souls shivering under blankets!
Manchester uk
110 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Further to my post about two weeks ago saying how disappointed I was that I had to be 'Waitlisted' for a ship's tour that I wanted to take on the Arcadia (J715), I have this morning been offered a place (72 hours to make up my mind). To anyone else who finds themselves having to be 'Waitlisted' for a tour of their choice, it is worth it.