Tipping

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:00 PM.
Solihull
2,131 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
I think there are countless threads already discussing all of this, they always end up unpleasantly.
I think the best thing to do is simply decide what you feel is best on each cruise, knowing the reasons you reached your own personal decision and being content it was the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
3,505 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by jeanlyon
I just love it when someone makes an assumption that people who remove the auto tips are mean or trying to reduce the amount. We have done both, left the auto on and also removed it. These days, we remove it and pay our tips direct. Mostly because on the last night, everyone at the table used an envelope except us when we left the auto tips on. Somewhat embarrassing. So we now do it the old way and prefer it. I await comments that we like the master/servant thing which is also a load of tosh. I tip my hairdresser. I tip taxi drivers. I tip waiters in a restaurant. What's the difference.
Do you tip the check out staff at the supermarket or the guys who empty your bins of the flight attendants on your flight or the local bus driver who gets you to town safely. If you do you are an exception.

If you wish to reward everyone who helps, seen or unseen on your cruise removing the auto tips is illogical. How do you allocate £84 of tips or £168 for a couple? Half to your room steward and half to your waiter? How do you tip the guy who unblocks your toilet or sorts out your air con or indeed does the washing up. And please don't tell me that all cash tips are handed in. See the sticky on the Cunard thread and think of what you know of human nature.

If you wish to believe that everyone acts as you do so be it. I will remain a doubter.

David
Near Loch Lomond, Scotland
2,842 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Until our last cruise on Azura we had never removed gratuity charge on any line. However I read somewhere that if the recipient did not get an excellent score all round they lost some money. We removed charge and gave the equivalent amount. As far as I know the money collected goes to cabin steward, waiter and assistant, head waiter (who's that? We never see him) and butlers. (We are never in a suite) .
You cannot prepay tips unlike on other lines so any onboard credit is immediately cut by subtracting tip amount. On our next cruise of 14 days that would be £168 off right away for a couple.
I would much prefer tips to be included in the cruise fair. That way everyone pays so much fairer.
Devon, UK
4,344 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Originally posted by balf
Do you tip the check out staff at the supermarket or the guys who empty your bins of the flight attendants on your flight or the local bus driver who gets you to town safely. If you do you are an exception.

If you wish to reward everyone who helps, seen or unseen on your cruise removing the auto tips is illogical. How do you allocate £84 of tips or £168 for a couple? Half to your room steward and half to your waiter? How do you tip the guy who unblocks your toilet or sorts out your air con or indeed does the washing up. And please don't tell me that all cash tips are handed in. See the sticky on the Cunard thread and think of what you know of human nature.

If you wish to believe that everyone acts as you do so be it. I will remain a doubter.

David
I was an air hostess and no I didn't get tips!

You keep going on about all these other people. The auto tips are for waiters and cabin stewards not people who wash up or unblock the toilet. Yes we halve the tips between the waiters and cabin steward as per the post above. We also usually tip our wine waiter even though they are on commission, but I think they are thing of the past and the waiters now do the wine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

Whitley Bay, North East England
6,428 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
I was an air hostess and no I didn't get tips!

You keep going on about all these other people. The auto tips are for waiters and cabin stewards not people who wash up or unblock the toilet. Yes we halve the tips between the waiters and cabin steward as per the post above. We also usually tip our wine waiter even though they are on commission, but I think they are thing of the past and the waiters now do the wine.
Wine waiters are still there never been away.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720

To Come

Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 9
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
UK
259 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Accepting that tips (by whatever name) only go to waiters and cabin stewards, would anybody who removes the auto tips and tips directly care to explain how they ensure every single waiter who would get a share of the auto tip also gets some directly - so that whether they have been serving for breakfast, lunch (perhaps in the buffet) or dinner, they still get their share. The logistics of ensuring nobody misses out, through no fault of their own, have always seemed very challenging to me - especially, but not only, for Freedom Dining - so I'd like to know how it's done.
Scotland
491 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Imagine if your table waiter was ill or re-assigned on the last night of your cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1973 British India - SS Nevasa - Nth. Africa/Canary Is * 1991 P&O - SS Canberra - Mediterranean * 1992 P&O - SS Canberra - Canary Is. * 1993 P&O - SS Canberra - Mediterranean * 1993 Cunard - Queen Elizabeth II - Ireland/France * 1994 CTC - Azerbajan - British Isles/France * 1994 P&O - SS Canbera - Adriatic * 1995 Fred Olsen - Black Watch - Western Europe * 1997 Fred Olsen - Black Watch - Western Europe * 1998 P&O - Arcadia - France/Britain * 1999 P&O - Arcadia - France/Britain * 2001 Festival CL - Flamenco - Mediterranean * 2002 NCL - Norwegian Dawn - Transatlantic * 2003 P&O - Oriana - Mediterranean * 2006 NCL - Norwegian Spirit - Caribbean * 2015 NCL - Norwegian Spirit - Adriatic/Mediterranean
lancs
393 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Have sailed on the Britannia 4 times now and mostly had excellent service from the cabin steward and the waiters, with the odd exception.
Staffordshire
1,026 Posts
Joined May 2011
I am not prepared to operate in a US manner. been there many times and will not tip if the food is awful or the service is awful.

Interestingly, was in London recently and was told by a friend that 15% is the normal tip in a restaurant. Well I don't agree, so I tip 10%.
Absolutely agree. When I was in America on business a few years ago, the food and service in a restaurant was so bad that a French colleague and I removed the tip from bill and left exactly the cost of the food and tax, as we left the manager chased after us and said that we had underpaid and when we said that the food and service was terrible and didn't justify a tip he threaten to call the police. We called his bluff and asked for seats whilst we waited for the police to arrive at which he asked us to go and never come back.

I also invariably leave 10% in restaurants at home.
Kent, England
6,160 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
I express my opinion on this toxic subject every time I post. Look at my signature
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 3
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 8
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
TUI Discovery x 2
NCL Epic

To come
Thomson Majesty 2017
P&O Oceana 2017
P&O Azura 2017
TUI Discovery 2018
TUI Explorer 2018
P&O Oceana 2018
England
786 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
We have just returned from 2 weeks on Britannia and found the service levels to be very good, with the sole exception of the Crows Nest where on two occasions I got fed up waiting to be served so went to the bar myself. Also, they said that they couldn't provide me with a beer that hadn't been chilled. First time ever in 11 cruises with P&O and an outrage that, alone, would warrant the removal of all auto gratuities!

Joking aside, service from all those who benefit from the auto gratuities was excellent (including waiting staff in the Meridian Freedom Dining restaurant) and I happily paid the auto gratuity, even though it cost me £336 for 4 persons. In fact, sucker that I am, I also gave our steward an extra £60 as he was working like a Trojan cleaning soot off the balcony as well as the extra cleaning inside (also soot related) and was at great pains to stress that the various problems we had experienced were not of his making!

I would very much prefer it if prices were increased and auto gratuities scrapped, but given how hard the staff who receive it work, for less than the UK minimum wage, I can't bring myself to remove it unless service has been poor which, sadly, has been the case previously, but not on my most recent cruises on Britannia or Aurora.

Final thought. Those of us who frequent this forum probably have a greater understanding of the mechanics of auto gratuities and pay them, or remove them, based upon reasoned argument. The problem with the current system is that many people, particularly those new to cruising, simply don't understand them and purely see it as an additional cost. Last week, in a lift on Britannia, I heard a Uni student telling her Dad that she had removed her auto gratuity and he loudly proclaimed "Quite right. You are a student after all. It's ridiculous". I decided not to mention that one of my daughters is also a Uni student and I had paid her auto gratuity.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 134 nights over 11 cruises (Aurora, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 83 nights over 7 cruises (2017 - Aurora x 2, 2018 - Aurora, Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
Devon, UK
4,344 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Yes, wholeheartedly agree that it should be included in the price and not referred to at all. Only thing is, if they do that, then people will revert to envelopes just like we always did in the past! I have spoken to a few others who have paid the auto tip, but then still feel they have to tip with an envelope on the last night, so its much easier our way. We pay the suggested tips, we just do it in envelopes.

Dai, sorry it was on Fred that they removed the wine waiters and the table waiters dealtl with the wine. We were actually on tips and wine included, so they just poured house wine for us on our table. With the tips included, yes you've guessed it, we will gave some in an envelope!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

Nottinghamshire, UK
215 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
We've always experienced fabulous service with attentive and friendly staff, so we've left the auto tips on. Then on top of that we tip the cabin steward as, for example, we saw them every day earlier in the year, he was always chatty and asking how we were, how they could help etc etc and couldn't be better. As we're always on freedom and have different waiters each night we use the auto tips to leave our bit for the waiters.

If we'd received bad service though, I'd possibly reduce them or take them off. To me it's all about the context of the situation - I was a waiter during uni; I've worked with the public, and I understand everyone who works with the public has off days and mistakes occasionally which (due to their job) is on show, so unless it was consistent I wouldn't do anything.

I do see the point of tipping individually - but it just seems like a bit of a hassle when you're on holiday to me.

Just my two cents

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed!

P&O Oceana - April/May 2009 - Western Mediterranean 14nt
Norwegian Epic - August 2011 - Western Mediterranean 7nt
Emerald Princess - April 2012 - Eastern Caribbean 10nt
P&O Ventura - July/August 2013 - Canary Islands 12nt
Emerald Princess - May 2014 - Spain and France 7nt

Coming up...

P&O Ventura - April 2017 - Iberia 7nt
P&O Ventura - July 2018 - Canary Islands 12nt
586 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by FluffyFiFi
Thanks for the replies, of course someone assumes it is to save money but this a reflection on them as we would give out far more than we would save as we have no problem with tipping when it is deserved.

Anyway I feel reassured that Britannia might have a happier staff, we are Freedom Dining and it is a lot easier to leave the auto gratuities so that is what we will do.
IMHO, I believe it is best to keep the auto tip ON and NOT tip any extra as you go. The auto tips pay people who you don't see and will never see. If you take these off, THEY get stiffed and still work very hard for the passengers. If you have pre-paid the tips, no one should feel awkward or guilty for not tipping additional $ at end of cruise. Especially if service all around was poor.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Cruise Bermuda 1982
Carnival Cruise Bahamas 1986
Princess Day Cruise to Ensenada 1994
Royal Caribbean Mexico 2004
NCL Alaska 2012
NCL 12 Day Med. Cruise 2013
NCL Cuba 2017
46 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by Selbourne
We have just returned from 2 weeks on Britannia and found the service levels to be very good, with the sole exception of the Crows Nest where on two occasions I got fed up waiting to be served so went to the bar myself.
Same cruise, same issue in the Crows Nest, completely ignored on a number of occasions.

I think the issue is that it has a bit of a multi functional use. Some people just want to read a book or snooze, however this was early evening and long past beer o'clock so they should really have been on the ball. That aside minor criticism as overall the service was excellent but not in anyway overbearing. I guess they have issues in addressing that fine line between what might considered to be hassling you or not.
6,428 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by CruiseGal999
IMHO, I believe it is best to keep the auto tip ON and NOT tip any extra as you go. The auto tips pay people who you don't see and will never see. If you take these off, THEY get stiffed and still work very hard for the passengers. If you have pre-paid the tips, no one should feel awkward or guilty for not tipping additional $ at end of cruise. Especially if service all around was poor.
Sorry that is not true for P&O. Only goes to cabin steward, waiters and small amount to the head waiter and the butlers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Ventura N603 Azura A616

To Come

Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 9
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
Stoke on Trent, England
4,929 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by CruiseGal999
I used to believe that until we discovered who gets the auto tips --- they are the people we ' don't see' and sadly if a cabin steward doesn't get 100% their tips are not allocated. (NOT your choice but P&O's decision despite what service you get).

I object to paying hundreds of pounds in tips (and then additional tips to say a special thank you to individuals) when others pay nothing. Is it me, or is this really not right and a system that needs reviewing????

Last year ALL of our OBC for 2 weeks went on auto tips, and we then paid about £100 extra as special thank yous. Why they didn't just say it was free gratuities I will never know as the days on the ship equalled the gratuities.

There has to be a point when customers have to say that this is not acceptable in the UK market. We really are not interested in the USA market -- this is the GB market and we will 'go with the US flow' next year as appropriate on Celebrity.

We are not mean, we are not just looking for a way out of paying extra, we DO value the crew and have made many friends over the years. We just feel that in the past we have been taken for a ride and no more ....... our cruises cost us thousands and a sizeable chunk of our annual income. Like many others, we are not a bottomless pit of money.

Chunter over ----

This time next week --- Southampton.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:
P&O Ventura 15.08.17 : Spain & the Greek Islands
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:12 : Adriatic / Venice
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:11 : Eastern Med/Holy Land
P&O Oceana August 2010 : Western Med
Ocean Village 02:08:09 : Eastern Med / Crete
Louis Cruises August 2001 : Egypt
UK
4,591 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Selbourne
We have just returned from 2 weeks on Britannia and found the service levels to be very good, with the sole exception of the Crows Nest where on two occasions I got fed up waiting to be served so went to the bar myself. Also, they said that they couldn't provide me with a beer that hadn't been chilled. First time ever in 11 cruises with P&O and an outrage that, alone, would warrant the removal of all auto gratuities!

Joking aside, service from all those who benefit from the auto gratuities was excellent (including waiting staff in the Meridian Freedom Dining restaurant) and I happily paid the auto gratuity, even though it cost me £336 for 4 persons. In fact, sucker that I am, I also gave our steward an extra £60 as he was working like a Trojan cleaning soot off the balcony as well as the extra cleaning inside (also soot related) and was at great pains to stress that the various problems we had experienced were not of his making!

I would very much prefer it if prices were increased and auto gratuities scrapped, but given how hard the staff who receive it work, for less than the UK minimum wage, I can't bring myself to remove it unless service has been poor which, sadly, has been the case previously, but not on my most recent cruises on Britannia or Aurora.

Final thought. Those of us who frequent this forum probably have a greater understanding of the mechanics of auto gratuities and pay them, or remove them, based upon reasoned argument. The problem with the current system is that many people, particularly those new to cruising, simply don't understand them and purely see it as an additional cost. Last week, in a lift on Britannia, I heard a Uni student telling her Dad that she had removed her auto gratuity and he loudly proclaimed "Quite right. You are a student after all. It's ridiculous". I decided not to mention that one of my daughters is also a Uni student and I had paid her auto gratuity.
Do a lot of these students not take waitressing jobs part time to pay their way?and do they expect tips?.
Children are included in auto tips as well as retired people.
We always auto pay on P&O and we are part retired.
Right or wrong it is the best way and TBH P&O are probably the cheapest line for tips anyway and IMO the crew deserve it.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
6,428 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Presto2
I used to believe that until we discovered who gets the auto tips --- they are the people we ' don't see' and sadly if a cabin steward doesn't get 100% their tips are not allocated. (NOT your choice but P&O's decision despite what service you get).

I object to paying hundreds of pounds in tips (and then additional tips to say a special thank you to individuals) when others pay nothing. Is it me, or is this really not right and a system that needs reviewing????

Last year ALL of our OBC for 2 weeks went on auto tips, and we then paid about £100 extra as special thank yous. Why they didn't just say it was free gratuities I will never know as the days on the ship equalled the gratuities.

There has to be a point when customers have to say that this is not acceptable in the UK market. We really are not interested in the USA market -- this is the GB market and we will 'go with the US flow' next year as appropriate on Celebrity.

We are not mean, we are not just looking for a way out of paying extra, we DO value the crew and have made many friends over the years. We just feel that in the past we have been taken for a ride and no more ....... our cruises cost us thousands and a sizeable chunk of our annual income. Like many others, we are not a bottomless pit of money.

Chunter over ----

This time next week --- Southampton.

Sorry part of this is misinformation. It is quite clear who gets the tips and it is only those people you would have tipped before. Not any of the backroom staff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Ventura N603 Azura A616

To Come

Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 9
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
Gt Britain
106 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
I just love it when someone makes an assumption that people who remove the auto tips are mean or trying to reduce the amount. We have done both, left the auto on and also removed it. These days, we remove it and pay our tips direct. Mostly because on the last night, everyone at the table used an envelope except us when we left the auto tips on. Somewhat embarrassing. So we now do it the old way and prefer it. I await comments that we like the master/servant thing which is also a load of tosh. I tip my hairdresser. I tip taxi drivers. I tip waiters in a restaurant. What's the difference.
I seem to remember you saying on another thread about tipping that the only time you left the auto tips on was when you had a lot of OBC. Why was that?

Anyhow like a lot of people I get sick of reading these threads because they just annoy me. However like the OP I’m also considering whether to remove the tips on our next cruise. I really wish they would just include them in the price of the cruise but I’m sure we all know why they won’t
Like Presto 2 the main reason I’m considering removing the auto tips is because a lot of people pay nothing.