Cunard playing silly buggers with CONFIRMED dining

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:45 PM.
UKand USA
1,170 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Its not an early saver fare..its a guarantee ...and if i could find a way to post the cruise personliser bit on here i would because it very very clearly says
Sitting .....early dining ...Confirmed
Late dining Currently waitlisted

In the bit above where it has preferences it also says Early Seating

Theres nothing in any of the paperwork i saw which said "subject to change etc "

When i hear what the outcome is i will post it
I do know they met other unhappy passengers who had late dining as Confirmed on their cruise personliser who onboard found it changed to early
There was a queue of people at the dining room all in same boat so something must be wrong with Cunards system ...it will be especially difficult for anyone with medical conditions who have to eat at certain times and who cannot eat late because even if you go to dinner at 8.30 we all know you wont actually get your meal till 9pm
Llandudno, North Wales
290 Posts
Joined May 2008
We sail frequently with Cunard and these days we are just as happy (if not happier) to dine early in Kings Court.

We certainly would not let any cock-ups by Cunard spoil our voyage,
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
May 2017 - Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Return Transatlantic
December 2016 - Cunard Queen Elizabeth - The Canary Isles
July 2016 - Cunard Queen Elizabeth - Greek Isles
April 2016 - Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Dubai to Southampton

November 2015 - Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Grand Caribbean (3)
August 2015 - Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Return Transatlantic (2).
May 2015 - P&O Britannia - Portugal, Spain and Madeira.
March 2015 - P&O Ventura - Eastern Caribbean
November 2014 - P&O Azura - Caribbean & Azores
August 2014 - Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Return Transatlantic
May 2014 - P&O Ventura - Italy, Greece and Corsica
December 2013 - P&O Ventura - Eastern Caribbean
May 2013 - Cunard Queen Elizabeth - The Fjords and North Cape Explorer
November 2012 - Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Return Transatlantic
April 2012 - P&O Azura - Western Mediterranean
November 2011 - P&O Adonia - Eastern Mediterranean

March 2011 - Cunard Queen Victoria - LA to Fort Lauderdale
November 2010 - P&O Oceana - Barbados to Acapulco
November 2009 - P&O Ventura - Eastern Caribbean

July 2009 - Fred Olsen Balmoral - Western Mediterranean
August 2008 - Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Return Transatlantic
Scotland
491 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by phillipahain
Its not an early saver fare..its a guarantee ...and if i could find a way to post the cruise personliser bit on here i would because it very very clearly says
Sitting .....early dining ...Confirmed
Late dining Currently waitlisted

In the bit above where it has preferences it also says Early Seating

Theres nothing in any of the paperwork i saw which said "subject to change etc "

When i hear what the outcome is i will post it
I do know they met other unhappy passengers who had late dining as Confirmed on their cruise personliser who onboard found it changed to early
There was a queue of people at the dining room all in same boat so something must be wrong with Cunards system ...it will be especially difficult for anyone with medical conditions who have to eat at certain times and who cannot eat late because even if you go to dinner at 8.30 we all know you wont actually get your meal till 9pm
I am fairly sure that there are only two types of bookings, CUNARD FARE or EARLY SAVER.
Where you say "Its not an early saver fare..its a guarantee", a guarantee merely refers to the fact that a cabin has not been allocated at the time of booking. I think it is more than likely that this booking is an Early Saver Fare, which has little to do with the actual time the booking was made.
As for saying confirmed, that can be changed at any time up to receiving the on board dining arrangements, which is a card in the cabin giving the dining arrangements. It seems likely they have been bumped in favour of a Cunard Fare party, who take precedence.

Early Saver Bookers

Early Savers receive 2nd priority for dining. We will attempt to accommodate your request but this is not guaranteed. Dining will be allocated on board and cannot be changed. To register a dining preference please click on the below link.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1973 British India - SS Nevasa - Nth. Africa/Canary Is * 1991 P&O - SS Canberra - Mediterranean * 1992 P&O - SS Canberra - Canary Is. * 1993 P&O - SS Canberra - Mediterranean * 1993 Cunard - Queen Elizabeth II - Ireland/France * 1994 CTC - Azerbajan - British Isles/France * 1994 P&O - SS Canbera - Adriatic * 1995 Fred Olsen - Black Watch - Western Europe * 1997 Fred Olsen - Black Watch - Western Europe * 1998 P&O - Arcadia - France/Britain * 1999 P&O - Arcadia - France/Britain * 2001 Festival CL - Flamenco - Mediterranean * 2002 NCL - Norwegian Dawn - Transatlantic * 2003 P&O - Oriana - Mediterranean * 2006 NCL - Norwegian Spirit - Caribbean * 2015 NCL - Norwegian Spirit - Adriatic/Mediterranean
Lancashire, UK
51 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by Trevor Fountain
I am fairly sure that there are only two types of bookings, CUNARD FARE or EARLY SAVER.
Where you say "Its not an early saver fare..its a guarantee", a guarantee merely refers to the fact that a cabin has not been allocated at the time of booking. I think it is more than likely that this booking is an Early Saver Fare, which has little to do with the actual time the booking was made.
As for saying confirmed, that can be changed at any time up to receiving the on board dining arrangements, which is a card in the cabin giving the dining arrangements. It seems likely they have been bumped in favour of a Cunard Fare party, who take precedence.

Early Saver Bookers

Early Savers receive 2nd priority for dining. We will attempt to accommodate your request but this is not guaranteed. Dining will be allocated on board and cannot be changed. To register a dining preference please click on the below link.
If it was booked in the UK then I believe this is correct, there is Cunard Fare, Early Saver and if required late saver. The saver fares are guarantees as you are guaranteed a class of cabin but don't get to select which one.

If booked outside the UK then this may well differ.

I agree with Welshred, advise them not to let this spoil their holiday. They may find they like late seating, you can always go to afternoon tea to tide you over. Failing that kings court is an option. Even if it has left such a bad taste that you don't plan on travelling with Cunard again I would try to enjoy the holiday.
Scotland
491 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
The most confusing aspect here is that the OP is saying they want Early Sitting, but says that other passengers are complaining that they have been moved from Late to Early, if this is the case then I don't see why the OP's family's request can't be met.
The problem here is we are getting third party information, not straight from the horses mouth,well intentioned though it is, facts do tend to get clouded when passed along a chain.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1973 British India - SS Nevasa - Nth. Africa/Canary Is * 1991 P&O - SS Canberra - Mediterranean * 1992 P&O - SS Canberra - Canary Is. * 1993 P&O - SS Canberra - Mediterranean * 1993 Cunard - Queen Elizabeth II - Ireland/France * 1994 CTC - Azerbajan - British Isles/France * 1994 P&O - SS Canbera - Adriatic * 1995 Fred Olsen - Black Watch - Western Europe * 1997 Fred Olsen - Black Watch - Western Europe * 1998 P&O - Arcadia - France/Britain * 1999 P&O - Arcadia - France/Britain * 2001 Festival CL - Flamenco - Mediterranean * 2002 NCL - Norwegian Dawn - Transatlantic * 2003 P&O - Oriana - Mediterranean * 2006 NCL - Norwegian Spirit - Caribbean * 2015 NCL - Norwegian Spirit - Adriatic/Mediterranean
Gower Peninsula, Wales
2,946 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Just to clarify, Saver Fares - both Early and Late are normally, though not always, on a Guarantee basis, but Cunard Fares can be Guarantee too - if there are few cabins of the required grade left.

If someone books late, they are unlikely to be guaranteed the dining choice. Of course we don't know when the guests in question booked.

Personally, I would ALWAYS choose late dinner sitting over early, if I had to choose one or other.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill

QV - December 2017
QM2 - March 2018
QM2 - April 2018
QM2 - January 2019
Scotland
491 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by cruiseluvva
Just to clarify, Saver Fares - both Early and Late are normally, though not always, on a Guarantee basis, but Cunard Fares can be Guarantee too - if there are few cabins of the required grade left.

If someone books late, they are unlikely to be guaranteed the dining choice. Of course we don't know when the guests in question booked.

Personally, I would ALWAYS choose late dinner sitting over early, if I had to choose one or other.
Interesting. Can you say why your preference is for late sitting? I always chose late sitting, but lately I get really tired around 10.00pm so have chosen early so I can enjoy some entertainment before I doze off.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Gower Peninsula, Wales
2,946 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Interesting. Can you say why your preference is for late sitting? I always chose late sitting, but lately I get really tired around 10.00pm so have chosen early so I can enjoy some entertainment before I doze off.
We find early sitting means getting ready too early.

After a day ashore, or enjoying all the ship has to offer if at sea, we like a lie down for an hour around 5pm, followed by getting ready at 6pm and then a cocktail at 6.45-7ish. On the rare occasions we had to eat early, we were ready for bed by 11pm!

Because we normally are able to choose the time we go to dinner these days, we tend to go in around 7.30pm. That suits us very well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill

QV - December 2017
QM2 - March 2018
QM2 - April 2018
QM2 - January 2019
Chester, UK
1,406 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
1800 is too early and 2030 is too late.

But between the two I would go for 2030. On our last cruise we were on the 1800 because it was the preference of the people we went with.

I think this is another reason I've gone off cruising; I'm paying and yet someone else tells me when I can eat.

Yes, I know you can pay considerably more for flexible dining or eat in the canteen.
Staffordshire
1,929 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
We are all different thankfully but for me eating a 5 course evening dinner that starts at 8-30pm and finishes after 10-00pm is far too late for me and wouldnt want that lying on my stomach when I go to bed it wouldnt do my indigestion any good. Having said that we all have our preferences and no time is right or wrong we choose what we prefer and if somebody has different view so be it thats life.
Leicestershire, UK
1,206 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
The OP has already stated that this isn't an early saver fare but a guarantee.
As cruiseluvva has pointed out, Cunard sometimes offers guarantee only cabins but at a select/Cunard fare, which sounds as if this is the case.
In which case your dining sitting would be confirmed at booking.
Generally this situation will be resolved by the second night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Glenndale
Mississauga, Canada
1,352 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Originally posted by ToadOfToadHall
1800 is too early and 2030 is too late.

But between the two I would go for 2030. On our last cruise we were on the 1800 because it was the preference of the people we went with.

I think this is another reason I've gone off cruising; I'm paying and yet someone else tells me when I can eat.

Yes, I know you can pay considerably more for flexible dining or eat in the canteen.
I feel the same about the early sitting being too early and the second sitting too late. (I am grateful to Cunard for the opportunities to have travelled in the Grills and the Britannia Club due to upgrades or considerably reduced fares, but of course this doesn't happen all the time.) As with other cruise lines, we sometimes choose early and sometimes late. The last time we had early sitting on QM2 we were disappointed with not being able to get a pre-dinner drink in one of our preferred lounges. In particular, we wanted to enjoy the string quartet or harpist when they were playing in the Chart Room but this was always full from 17:00 on.

For our upcoming Quebec-NY-So'ton voyage we have gone back to choosing second sitting. Because of the change in time on the transatlantic portion, the 20:30 sitting should seem like 19:30 to us on five days. The late dinner sitting makes it more likely we can enjoy tea in the Queen's Room. I would rather pass on lunch than tea.
New Jersey
8,991 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by cruiseluvva

(bold is mine)

We booked our recent TAs fairly late--after final payment. We are in the US, so fare structures are different, but timing does seem to matter. We want the early seating. I can't sleep after a late meal and DH needs to eat earlier than 8:30. But we got late and were waitlisted for early. I think it's the first time this happened, but we usually book our trips early.

I went to the maitre d' on the first day and asked to be changed. He said they would try to make the change, but for the first night, show up at 6:30 and they'd try to find seats for us. They did get us a table for that first night, and were able to change us to early for the rest of the cruise. When I went in at lunch on the second day to see what was happening, he had just finished doing the new dining cards. He had quite a stack of them, so there were lots of changes being made.

I'm sorry the OP's family ran into an unpleasant Maitre d'. I dealt with two different ones, and both were helpful.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
11 QM2 - 7 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia, Canada
1 Caronia - Baltic
11 HAL -Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Alaska
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
Scotland
491 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by Glenndale
The OP has already stated that this isn't an early saver fare but a guarantee.
As cruiseluvva has pointed out, Cunard sometimes offers guarantee only cabins but at a select/Cunard fare, which sounds as if this is the case.
In which case your dining sitting would be confirmed at booking.
Generally this situation will be resolved by the second night.
Guarantee is not a type of fare.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Leicestershire, UK
1,206 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Guarantee is not a type of fare.
I didn't say that guarantee was a type of fare
I said that Cunard sometimes will offer only a guarantee cabin at a Select/Cunard fare.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Glenndale
Scotland
491 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by Glenndale
I didn't say that guarantee was a type of fare
I said that Cunard sometimes will offer only a guarantee cabin at a Select/Cunard fare.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

UKand USA
1,170 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
I sure hope matters get sorted by this evening but i wont know until they hit land tomorrow

If there was correct warning about the possibility of late dining occuring ...fine

But irrespective of all the comments thus far
Cunsrd UK have confirmed that Early seating is on their booking
The cruuse personliser states very clearly ....early seating requested

Early seating CONFIRMED
None of it would be so bad if the entertainment was early for late diners and after dinner for early diners but its not thus if you have late dining all entertainment does nit start till 10.30 which mskes it far too late for msny people to enjoy
NYC 10014/Eastern Long Island 11937
439 Posts
Joined May 2005
It's all subjective, yes, but I never feel a few people rightfully or wrongfully complaining about seating at the maître d' desk in Britannia dinning, with almost 246 tables for almost 1,250 guests, would mean the system or the entire room is in disarray.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CM, QE2 WCC
UKand USA
1,170 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Well clearly Cunard decided that confirmed means exactly that and sorted things yesterday with a table for 6pm even a table for 2 which i am sure is extremely unusual as normally they are very difficult to get
Have to wonder why they could not have got things right from the outset ...seems such a needless shamozzle all round
Vale of Glamorgan
3,457 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Good to hear that it was resolved.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !