Cunard playing silly buggers with CONFIRMED dining

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:32 AM.
#41
Scotland
491 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Great news. Hope they have a wonderful time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1973 British India - SS Nevasa - Nth. Africa/Canary Is * 1991 P&O - SS Canberra - Mediterranean * 1992 P&O - SS Canberra - Canary Is. * 1993 P&O - SS Canberra - Mediterranean * 1993 Cunard - Queen Elizabeth II - Ireland/France * 1994 CTC - Azerbajan - British Isles/France * 1994 P&O - SS Canbera - Adriatic * 1995 Fred Olsen - Black Watch - Western Europe * 1997 Fred Olsen - Black Watch - Western Europe * 1998 P&O - Arcadia - France/Britain * 1999 P&O - Arcadia - France/Britain * 2001 Festival CL - Flamenco - Mediterranean * 2002 NCL - Norwegian Dawn - Transatlantic * 2003 P&O - Oriana - Mediterranean * 2006 NCL - Norwegian Spirit - Caribbean * 2015 NCL - Norwegian Spirit - Adriatic/Mediterranean
#42
essex uk and calabria italy
784 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Hi,the problem here seems that ships of this size on other lines have an ATD room and a TRAD room.On cunard it seems the PG and QG probably replace the ATD.This creates all this hassle and confrontation.Thank god we are club on our QE cruise next year and will dine when we want,which is normally late after a few voddies and wine,cheers,Brian.
#43
New Jersey
37 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by phillipahain
Daughter and grandaughter currently on Elizabeth ..early dining has been confirmed for weeks
Get on board and folk who want late dining given early and confirmed early diners given late seating
Maitre D being downright rude to everyone
Pursers no help
This is ridiculous who wants to eat at 8.30 and not have access to entertainment till 10.30
Talkabout spoiling their first and what will now be last cruise on Cunard
If thats how they treat people they can stuff it
We are Diamond members and on it on 25th and also have confirmed early dining so Cunard need to start thinking
Even their phone number for head office in theUK is not answering calls despite it not yet being 8pm
It is clearly in the contract dining time is not guaranteed. Only cruise on QM2 and no problems, whatsoever. Think this could have been resolved. Cannot imagine CUNARD not accomodating if possible.
#45
So Calif
404 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Traveling with a sense of entitlement in any venue often creates the very response one wishes to avoid & causes friction for ALL.
In my experience on dining issues with all cruise lines, if I need a different time, et al, I see the mature d & keep asking. My dress & attitude makes a difference. I have also presented a discreet $20, one was accepted & usually do not do it. My gratitude & appreciation always wins the day.
#46
RESIST USA
9,482 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by CU64
Traveling with a sense of entitlement in any venue often creates the very response one wishes to avoid & causes friction for ALL.
In my experience on dining issues with all cruise lines, if I need a different time, et al, I see the mature d & keep asking. My dress & attitude makes a difference. I have also presented a discreet $20, one was accepted & usually do not do it. My gratitude & appreciation always wins the day.
Many have told me I'm naïve, that "greasing the palm" of the maître d is SOP, but in my opinion, that's not a gratuity, it's a bribe. Such is the way of the world, I suppose.

At the end of the voyage, that is the time to show appreciation to those who provided extraordinary service - clearly opinions differ.

Regards,
Salacia
#47
Mississauga, Canada
1,353 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Originally posted by Salacia
Many have told me I'm naïve, that "greasing the palm" of the maître d is SOP, but in my opinion, that's not a gratuity, it's a bribe. Such is the way of the world, I suppose.

At the end of the voyage, that is the time to show appreciation to those who provided extraordinary service - clearly opinions differ.

Regards,
Salacia
Salacia, I feel the same way. I always say thank you after good service has been provided and refuse, on principle, to offer a bribe.

We have English friends who always book the cheap last-minute rate (and get low fares that I almost never see on this side of the pond) but have no choice of dining sitting. On each trip they are assigned the late sitting but prefer the early one. They see the maître d' and always get moved to the first sitting without offering a bribe. Occasionally they have been asked to accept the late sitting for the first night, but all is sorted by the second day.
#48
Vale of Glamorgan
3,467 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by david,Mississauga

We have English friends who always book the cheap last-minute rate (and get low fares that I almost never see on this side of the pond) but have no choice of dining sitting. On each trip they are assigned the late sitting but prefer the early one. They see the maître d' and always get moved to the first sitting without offering a bribe. Occasionally they have been asked to accept the late sitting for the first night, but all is sorted by the second day.
It's great for your friends that it's worked out that way so far but I hope they are not too upset the first time they are told No.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
#49
Chester, UK
1,406 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by CU64
. I have also presented a discreet $20, one was accepted & usually do not do it. My gratitude & appreciation always wins the day.
Back to a brown envelope stuffed under the door of the gents.
#51
poole,UK
104 Posts
Joined May 2010
I once had a Cunard booking confirmation saying 2nd sitting confirmed , but the card in the stateroom was for 1st sitting.
When I showed this to the M'D he seemed very alarmed and when we got back to the cabin there was a new card under the door with a new table number for 2nd sitting. Mistakes do sometimes happen.
#52
Edinburgh, Scotland
1,630 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by phillipahain
Well clearly Cunard decided that confirmed means exactly that and sorted things yesterday with a table for 6pm even a table for 2 which i am sure is extremely unusual as normally they are very difficult to get
Have to wonder why they could not have got things right from the outset ...seems such a needless shamozzle all round
Remember you are only hearing one side of the story, particularly in terms of "others" treated similarly and alleged attitude of Maitre De etc.

My guess is they have found a way to make this customer feel they are "right"....gets the problem out of their hair!!
#53
So Calif
404 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Interesting how posts respondIng to mine passed over the entitlement to which I was referring & chose to focus on the one $20 example. Perhaps I was not precise enough as this was an add on to the post.
My appreciation & gratitude had nothing to do with tipping money or a "bribe;" just a general attitude of appreciation throughout the cruise, even when disappointments might occur.
#54
290 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Am on Queen Vic now. There is a strange situation in the MDR right now, a few tables away from us, there is a family- two young children, who could not get their requested 8.30 dining session, they are not happy with the 6pm session so have been showing up at 7pm every night since they boarded on Saturday in Rome. They are being served as normal.
#55
Vale of Glamorgan
3,467 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
How bizarre, are they eating very quickly so their table is ready for 2nd sitting ? It must make things difficult for the waiters and kitchen staff.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
#56
At Sea
5,287 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by vannerhawk
I once had a Cunard booking confirmation saying 2nd sitting confirmed , but the card in the stateroom was for 1st sitting. When I showed this to the M'D he seemed very alarmed and when we got back to the cabin there was a new card under the door with a new table number for 2nd sitting. Mistakes do sometimes happen.
I had the same issue many years ago. The Maitre d' sorted it as soon as I politely pointed the problem out (I took the little card with dining time and table number found in my cabin, along with my printed booking confirmation, to his desk soon after boarding).

I was given a seat at a "Hosted" table on late seating. Being seated there brought several consequential benefits during the cruise.

He turned an unhappy passenger into a very happy one, quickly and without fuss.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over 3.5 million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2. Booked: QE, ...
#57
At Sea
5,287 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Host Hattie
How bizarre, are they eating very quickly so their table is ready for 2nd sitting ? It must make things difficult for the waiters and kitchen staff.
I thought the same thing! Esp with two young children to look after. Hardly a relaxing dinner I would have thought, clock-watching constantly. The plates for the courses must be cleared away and immediately replaced as if on a conveyor belt!

In my experience and observation most passengers with youngsters would seem to prefer early seating; I've very rarely seen young children on late seating.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over 3.5 million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2. Booked: QE, ...
#58
290 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
In reply to peppern and Hattie, I agree, strange for a family with young children to prefer to dine late. I'm sure the children had no say in the subject! And they are the ones most affected as it clear from their behaviour. Anyway, by the time they leave the dining room, it is barely 15 minutes before the 8.30 session. I'm pretty sure it is just selfish behaviour on the parents side, clearly no wish to comply with the fixed 6pm session they were allocated, no regard for what's best for their children and no regard for the waiters.
#59
Lancashire, UK
51 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by durante
In reply to peppern and Hattie, I agree, strange for a family with young children to prefer to dine late. I'm sure the children had no say in the subject! And they are the ones most affected as it clear from their behaviour. Anyway, by the time they leave the dining room, it is barely 15 minutes before the 8.30 session. I'm pretty sure it is just selfish behaviour on the parents side, clearly no wish to comply with the fixed 6pm session they were allocated, no regard for what's best for their children and no regard for the waiters.
I agree that they are showing no regard for the waiters, this must be generating a load of extra work. If you aren't happy with fixed time dining you can pay extra from Britannia Club or if the budget doesn't cover that eat in the buffet or order room service. (Or is suppose pick a different line that has different policies)


However I don't really understand how you can decide they have no regard for their children. Possibly they are doing this to try an maintain the kids routine? They may well eat dinner at 7pm at home. While I certainly disagree with how they are going about doing it I consider it extremely judgemental to effectively brand them bad parents for eating later.


I see nothing wrong with booking late dinning with children, if that's what suits your family.
#60
Mississauga, Canada
1,353 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Originally posted by durante
Am on Queen Vic now. There is a strange situation in the MDR right now, a few tables away from us, there is a family- two young children, who could not get their requested 8.30 dining session, they are not happy with the 6pm session so have been showing up at 7pm every night since they boarded on Saturday in Rome. They are being served as normal.
I recall on the QE2 the doors of the Mauretania (formerly Britannia) Restaurant were closed 30 minutes after the start of each sitting. Although they were not locked, there was a crew member stationed at each door and anyone trying to get in had to provide a good reason. I remember one man making a loud scene at one meal and actually pushed the maître d' in order to get in. Perhaps Cunard wants to avoid unpleasantness and allows people to come in after the usual sitting time.