Upsell question

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:46 PM.
SoCal
10,013 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
I've been reading various threads about upsells. It seems that many of them are offered somewhere in the month before any given cruise (if they're going to be offered).

Is that time frame pretty much the time that Princess usually contacts people?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DCLHAL CarnivalPrincess Vantage
19 Cruises, 11 ships, 194 nights

COLORADO
59,527 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by Shmoo here
I've been reading various threads about upsells. It seems that many of them are offered somewhere in the month before any given cruise (if they're going to be offered).

Is that time frame pretty much the time that Princess usually contacts people?

No, we have had upsells 2-3 months out as well.

Moveovers are closer to sailing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32
SoCal
10,013 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by Colo Cruiser
No, we have had upsells 2-3 months out as well.

Moveovers are closer to sailing.
OK, I'm stupid - moveover?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

18,345 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
OK, I'm stupid - moveover?
Example of moveover offer:

MPORTANT NOTICES

**SPECIAL OFFER FOR Regal PRINCESS GUESTS!**
Princess is extending a special offer to guests booked on the Oct 1, 2016 Regal Princess sailing. Move to another sailing of your choice up to 10 days, anywhere in the world and receive:

* 100% cruise fare refund (as refundable onboard credit)

* Free Stateroom upgrade!

* Princess ez air program will be protected

This offer is only available by calling 1-800-243-7342 x30736, but please act quickly as this offer will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
SoCal
10,013 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by easyboy
Example of moveover offer:

MPORTANT NOTICES

**SPECIAL OFFER FOR Regal PRINCESS GUESTS!**
Princess is extending a special offer to guests booked on the Oct 1, 2016 Regal Princess sailing. Move to another sailing of your choice up to 10 days, anywhere in the world and receive:

* 100% cruise fare refund (as refundable onboard credit)

* Free Stateroom upgrade!

* Princess ez air program will be protected

This offer is only available by calling 1-800-243-7342 x30736, but please act quickly as this offer will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
Ooooo...no. That's not what I want. We're cruising with family (couple of rooms) in Nov and I was just curious when an upsell might be forthcoming (if it is). I was beginning to think we'd miss an offer as we're going to be gone most of October.

Thanks for the explanation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

18,345 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Ooooo...no. That's not what I want. We're cruising with family (couple of rooms) in Nov and I was just curious when an upsell might be forthcoming (if it is). I was beginning to think we'd miss an offer as we're going to be gone most of October.

Thanks for the explanation.
So upsell it is. For that, we usually receive the email around 1-2 months prior.
Northern California
1,700 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
I've gotten 2 upsell offers. One 3 months before sailing, and one a little more than 6 weeks before.
We didn't take either for various reasons. Both upsell offers were this year.

The next 4 cruises we have booked I would be happy to entertain an offer, but you never know when they are offered....
Scottsdale AZ
2,562 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
We received an upsell offer for our October 1st cruise 1 day after the official final payment date. For our May Alaska cruise, it came two months prior to sailing. It seems like they are coming sooner nowadays because our first offers used to be within a month of sailing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pre mid 1990's - a dozen or so cruises on Princess, Carnival, etc. Rediscovered cruising in 2008 and here's our roster since then:
Carnival Freedom – 09/2008 Mediterranean
Caribbean Princess – 12/2013 New Year's Western Caribbean * 05/2014 Western Caribbean
Coral Princess – 02/2016 Panama Canal Partial Transit * 05/2016 Celebrating Retirement Mini Coastal Cruise
Diamond Princess – 01/2013 Auckland to Sydney
Emerald Princess – 12/2010 Christmas Eastern Caribbean * 10/2014 Canary Islands & Madeira * 02/2015 Western Caribbean * 10/2017 Mexican Riviera
Golden Princess – 06/2008 Alaska Inside Passage RT Seattle
Grand Princess – 05/2009 Iberian Interlude RT Southampton
Island Princess – 02/2009 Panama Canal Partial Transit
Regal Princess – 11/2016 Eastern Caribbean
Royal Princess – 10/2015 & 01/2017 Southern Caribbean Medley
Star Princess – 05/2010 Baltic / Scandinavia / Russia * 10/2011 Greek Isles Venice to Rome * 12/2012 Around the Horn Valparaiso to Rio de Janeiro * 03/2013 Valparaiso to Los Angeles * 08/2015 Southbound Alaska * 08/2016 & 05/2017 Denali Explorer Land Tour + Southbound Alaska

Upcoming:
December 10, 2017 - Regal Princess - Eastern Caribbean
February 14, 2018 - Emerald Princess - San Antonio to Buenos Aires
August 14, 2018 - Grand Princess - Alaska Inside Passage from SF
October 5, 2018 - Viking Longship Mani - Amsterdam to Basel for first river cruise
Whidbey Island, WA
836 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
We got an upsell offer through our TA on Aug 1 for our Sept 23 Hawaii sailing. Balcony to mini-suite. We took it. TA confirmed it the next day.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed!
USS Midway - '72-73 - Subic Bay Philippines (x9), Hong Kong, Singapore, Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
USS Ranger - '76 - Subic Bay Philippines (x3), Singapore, Perth Australia (Shellback)

USS Independence - '80 - South Atlantic, Cape of Good Hope, Mauritius, Indian Ocean, Gulf of Oman,(123 continuous sea days), Suez Canal, Mediterranean Sea, Straits of Gibraltar

USS Independence - '81 - Straits of Gibraltar - Mediterranean Sea, Naples Italy (x2), Straits of Gibraltar

Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean 3/25/12 - Silver Anniversary Cruise
Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean 2/3/13 - Gayle's Birthday Cruise
Norewgian Pearl - Alaska 6/16/13 - 4 Generation Family Cruise
Golden Princess - West Coast Getaway 9/30/13

UPCOMING:
Star Princess - Hawaii 9/23/17
SoCal
10,013 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Thanks, everyone.

Now, just to sit and see if we get anything.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

55 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
We received an upsell offer for our Alaska cruise last year the day we were leaving North Carolina, which was about 5 days prior to the cruisetour starting
41 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Wondering if we will get an upsell offer for our mid-September Alaska cruise...haven't seen it yet. I was hoping we might if there are less people sailing during the shoulder season.

Question--if we do receive an upsell offer, do they tell you the exact stateroom you will be in (i.e. room number)? I had picked our oceanview room to be mid-ship and mid deck for potential seasickness problems. Although a balcony or suite would be very nice, I would have to think hard about giving up a mid-ship spot.

Thanks!
18,345 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by SuzieQ521
Wondering if we will get an upsell offer for our mid-September Alaska cruise...haven't seen it yet. I was hoping we might if there are less people sailing during the shoulder season.

Question--if we do receive an upsell offer, do they tell you the exact stateroom you will be in (i.e. room number)? I had picked our oceanview room to be mid-ship and mid deck for potential seasickness problems. Although a balcony or suite would be very nice, I would have to think hard about giving up a mid-ship spot.

Thanks!
We were offered a stateroom but we gave her the stateroom we preferred. We were given our preference since it was available. We had the deck plan when discussing it.
Oregon
1,521 Posts
Joined May 2012
Question--if we do receive an upsell offer, do they tell you the exact stateroom you will be in (i.e. room number)?
Thanks!
No. You can have your pick of the available cabins. You should check out the Princess website and be aware what's available for your cruise. This is a great opportunity, but also a buyer-beware situation. Know what you're doing before you do it.

Jim
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming: 10-night Mexican Riviera, Grand Princess, Jan. 12, 2018; 1-night Transatlantic to Barcelona, Crown Princess, April 3, 2018; 11-night Baltic cruise, Regal Princess, Aug. 9, 2018; 7-night Northern California Coast, Ruby Princess, Sept. 22, 2018

2000: Sovereign of the Seas, Bahamas * 2004: Carnival Pride, Mexican Riviera * 2007: Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera * 2010: Carnival Paradise, Baja * 2012: Norwegian Jewel, Alaska; Carnival Splendor, Mexican Riviera * 2014: Celebrity Constellation, Cozumel and Key West; Carnival Valor, Eastern Caribbean; Golden Princess, San Diego and Ensenada, B2B * 2015: Norwegian Dawn, Western Caribbean; Crown Princess, Alaska; Grand Princess, California coast; Island Princess, Panama Canal * 2016: Crown Princess, Mexican Riviera; Regal Princess, Copenhagen to NY, TA. * 2017: Royal Princess, Caribbean; Emerald Princess, Vancouver to L.A.
Millbrae, CA, USA
290 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Can upsell offers happen at any category? More importantly, do they?

Do they ever put drink packages on sale before the cruise?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Celebrity Infinity - Alaska 7 days (6/07)
R/C Splendour of the Seas 10 days (4/03)
Disney Magic 7 days (11/01)
Disney Magic 4 days (11/99)
California
15 Posts
Joined Feb 2014

Thanks!

We received an upsell offer on June 27th for our Sept 9th cruise to Alaska. There were 2 suites available and I chose the midship one instead of aft.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
League City, TX
40,056 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by StknCPA

Do they ever put drink packages on sale before the cruise?
Basically the answer is "No."

The AIBP is sometimes offered as part of a booking promotion, but is never offered by itself at a discount before a cruise (or during the cruise).
TN
5,543 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by letscruiseagain&again
We received an upsell offer for our October 21st cruise last week. 73 days before the cruise.
We did as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Judy
Golden Princess 7/04
Star Princess 1/06
Caribbean Princess 1/08
Crown Princess 4/10
Crown Princess 2/11
Emerald 9/11
Caribbean Princess 11/12
Crown Princess 4/13
Ruby 4/14
Regal Princess 11/14
Regal Princess 11/14
Royal Princess 4/15
Emerald Princess 10/15
Royal Princess 10/16
Crown Princess 3/2017

Next up:
Caribbean Princess 10/17
Ruby Princess 4/18
Caribbean Princess 9/18
Caribbean Princess 4/19
12,804 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
For our next two cruises, we were offered upsells. One came a month in advance and the other, 6 weeks in advance. Both were $199pp to go from a balcony to a mini-suite. Didn't jump on either one. We'd rather put our money into bus. class/first class air than in the cabin. Just a matter of what's important to you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite, RCI Diamond, Celebrity Elite, Cunard Platinum, Azamara Discoverer - 42 Completed Cruises so far
Upcoming Cruises:
2017: 4 completed cruises
2018: Crown Princess, Emerald Princess & Azamara Quest

2019: Ruby Princess, Royal Princess & Azamara Journey?