Roads from Hilo to Kona?

jennybenny

Just wondering if the roads from Hilo to Kona open and safe to drive? We were hoping to rent a car in Hilo on our cruise in December and drive over to Kona. Just wondering if the roads will be an issue given the damage the volcano did to parts of the island.

Thanks in advance

Jennifer

Just wondering if the roads from Hilo to Kona open and safe to drive? We were hoping to rent a car in Hilo on our cruise in December and drive over to Kona. Just wondering if the roads will be an issue given the damage the volcano did to parts of the island.

Thanks in advance

Jennifer

Jennifer,

We fly to the Big Island this Saturday! Friend lives in Hilo and said travel is back to normal. They are working on the roads but most are passable. September 22nd Volcano National Park will be reopening!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The roads (Hiway 200) up and over the center of the island are no where near the volcanic activity, so are not damaged.

The road through VNP (Hiway 11) also not near the activity, so not damaged. The bigger question would be the open/closed status of VNP, which sounds like it is opening up.

Jennifer,

We fly to the Big Island this Saturday! Friend lives in Hilo and said travel is back to normal. They are working on the roads but most are passable. September 22nd Volcano National Park will be reopening!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hope you have a fabulous vacation!! Thank you for responding

The roads (Hiway 200) up and over the center of the island are no where near the volcanic activity, so are not damaged.

The road through VNP (Hiway 11) also not near the activity, so not damaged. The bigger question would be the open/closed status of VNP, which sounds like it is opening up.

Hi Bruce,

Thank you, we had not planned on going to VNP, but yes, I hope that the roads open up and are safe to travel again.

I look forward to hearing from those who do go to VNP once it open up!

Thanks again :)

Is your cruise not stopping in Kona? It is a relativley long and boring ride up and across the island. (not nearly as long as going around the southern end past VNP, but still not very exciting). I wouldn't want to waste the hours going over and back just for the heck of it. I would rather spend the day on the Hilo side checking out the waterfalls and view points on that side.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance

Jennifer

Yes - very much open and perfectly fine. We drove from Hilo to Mauna Kea and not a problem at all. The same road goes straight to Kona as well.