How are the Swans doing 2018?

Preliminary final outcomes

Collingwood d Richmond

West Coast d Melbourne

Grand Final next Saturday afternoon:

West Coast v Collingwood

I am sure everyone on here will be barracking/rooting for WC Eagles.

Now waiting to see if I get a ticket in the ballot.

Nope, not me! Not a Pies fan, but they are certainly better to support than West Coast. Most Victorians were probably suppored the Dees today but it wasn't to be. Just looking forward to a good game.

Leigh

I am sure everyone on here will be barracking/rooting for WC Eagles.

I'm actually not so sure. Swans fans have history with West Coast with an intense rivalry between 2004-2007. And Collingwood have more of a fairytale vibe this year with the extensive injury list they've played with. But they are Collingwood.

As such, I can gain back 3 hours of my life because this year I have zero interest in watching the game now. Good luck both teams, but I don't like either of them so it's going to be depressing either way around 5:30pm next Saturday!!

Just remembered about this. With the Swans out, I stopped tracking it so closely.

These seem like surprise teams--is that true? I don't remember reading about either of these teams being favored at the beginning of the season, not that that really means anything.

I'll see if it will be on here in the US, but the Ryder Cup starts on Friday and will likely overlap this.

I guess we'll have to wait for next season <sigh>

Cheers mates

ML

I think most people expected it to be Richmond v West Coast. The eagles have that massive home ground advantage, and have performed strongly this year. Collingwood beating Richmond in the prelim was definitely an upset, but not a massive one. Melbourne getting in would have been a HUGE upset.

The Swans.... well we try again next year.

I think most people expected it to be Richmond v West Coast. The eagles have that massive home ground advantage, and have performed strongly this year. Collingwood beating Richmond in the prelim was definitely an upset, but not a massive one. Melbourne getting in would have been a HUGE upset.

The Swans.... well we try again next year.

I don't think West Coast were expected to be in the GF by the majority of the sports media and in Victoria. Certainly Richmond was expected to be there and perhaps one of the Swans, GWS or Adelaide Crows. In fact I was reading an article on Foxsport that tipped WC wouldn't make the final 8.

Leigh

I don't think West Coast were expected to be in the GF by the majority of the sports media and in Victoria. Certainly Richmond was expected to be there and perhaps one of the Swans, GWS or Adelaide Crows. In fact I was reading an article on Foxsport that tipped WC wouldn't make the final 8.

To clarify, I meant that if you looked at the 8 at the start of the finals series, then West Coast were absolutely heavily tipped to make it on the back of two home finals in Perth.

When we backtrack to the start of the season though, then yes I agree that West Coast weren't really in the picture, and neither were Collingwood.

To clarify, I meant that if you looked at the 8 at the start of the finals series, then West Coast were absolutely heavily tipped to make it on the back of two home finals in Perth.

When we backtrack to the start of the season though, then yes I agree that West Coast weren't really in the picture, and neither were Collingwood.

Thanks for clarifying losfp. West Coast do have such an advantage in Perth, although this season they did lose a few over there.

The only ones who expected Collingwood to make the GF were their fans!

Hope it is a good game!

Leigh

Sad, Sad. :( :'):loudcry:

Very close finish to the GF. I was supporting the Magpies but not really too fussed. It was anyone's game right up to the last minute or so. The first GF I've missed for about 15 years but as I'm been unwell with sinusitis I decided not to line up with my son and son in law early this morning to obtain a seat in the MCC members. If the Bombers had been playing it would have been different, I would have been there!

Leigh

Was supporting the West Coast Eagles (am NSW so no supportig a VIC team ;) ), Collingwood started off well (like their banner) but through the game disintergrated (like Collingwood's banner) with West coast getting the 1st place with 5 or so minutes left to go.

On the plus for our American viewers ;) the previously mentioned American Mason Cox scored 2 goals and was everywhere in the game.

(America sends there export players here and the Aussies send ours over there for the gridiron and its "newly" invented drop goals ....)

cya

bl2620000

I just remembered to check the GF score, sorry! American football has started here and I have been distracted.

I guess that's it until next season.

Oh, and thanks for the info on Mason Cox, bl262000. I didn't realize he was playing. Love the note about the "new" drop kicks. they are a big hit over here!

Best to all mates

ML

I just remembered to check the GF score, sorry! American football has started here and I have been distracted.

I guess that's it until next season.

Oh, and thanks for the info on Mason Cox, bl262000. I didn't realize he was playing. Love the note about the "new" drop kicks. they are a big hit over here!

Best to all mates

ML

Been watching some gridiron lately, who should I follow?

How does anyone ever get injured with all that padding?

How do you stretch 4 15 minute quarters into a 4 hour game?

Been watching some gridiron lately, who should I follow?

How does anyone ever get injured with all that padding?

How do you stretch 4 15 minute quarters into a 4 hour game?

Well, who you follow may depend on any loyalty you might have to a particular large US city. For example, if you like San Francisco, you could follow the 49ers. Of course, they just lost their QB for the year and aren't expected to do well (they weren't expected to do that great with the QB!). If you want less frustration, the current darlings of the NFL are the LA Rams, KC Chiefs (because of their dynamic young QB and explosive offense, but totally crappy defense), and the perennial fav NE Patriots, a team I love to hate. And the Dallas Cowboys, another team I will never support. Or you go with the LA Raiders, who are about to move to Las Vegas (next year or maybe the following year). My team is the NY Giants but they are terrible, so you can be just as frustrated watching a better team :) The Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl last year (rough equivalent of the GF in AFL) but it's hard to repeat.

Padding helps with some things but not concussions, knee's and soft tissue injuries. And considering these are big muscular guys charging at each other, I don't think padding helps a lot. I know I wouldn't want to be hit by any of these guys. It's very impressive to see one of them standing next to a regular (i.e., non-football player) person. They look like aliens. You don't get a sense of how big they are when they are on the field standing next to each other. When a referee steps in, you can get a better sense of their size. Except for the kickers, they are huge!

tee hee--you're on to the dirty secret of American football games. There are so many delays, not at all like AFL games, which I much prefer since they don't stop much. Regular timeouts, TV timeouts (way too many), constant official reviews and flags; it all combines to slow the "action" down. Although it does seem to be getting a little better. The games are about 20 minutes of play and 3-3.5 hours of junk. I usually do something else while I am 'watching' a game, and I mute the TV a lot. I love football but I can see the time when I don't waste my weekends watching it so much. And I play fantasy football, which helps a lot :D

Being a Collingwood supporter, it looks like I should follow the New England Patriots. ;)

Well if you must, but this probably means we can't be friends ;)

Having spent my graduate studies years in Illinois, I barrack for the Chicago Bears.

There we go, great logic. Love watching the Bears, with their new QB and team that is doing surprisingly well. I hope they keep it up.

I played a bit of gridiron, in my younger days mind you, it was an off season sport. Would have loved to have tried it without all the padding etc, it was hard to really smash someone when they had all that gear on, not like league where if you smashed them once they’d be looking out all day.

Hey, cut this football stuff out, tis the cricket season, Tests, 50 overs, T20, what more do you want.:p

I'd like to understand what is happening. Any sport that can take 3 days to complete a match is more like punishment than entertainment :D

I played a bit of gridiron, in my younger days mind you, it was an off season sport. Would have loved to have tried it without all the padding etc, it was hard to really smash someone when they had all that gear on, not like league where if you smashed them once they’d be looking out all day.

Well, I wouldn't recommend that (no padding) and trying to tackle these days. Back in the 50s and early 60s (and even earlier), it was different and not as much equipment used but things have "progressed". Now they run around bashing each other and get up almost all the time.

I honestly don't know how league players do it, but maybe the tackling is more regulated?

I'd like to understand what is happening. Any sport that can take 3 days to complete a match is more like punishment than entertainment :D

Well, I wouldn't recommend that (no padding) and trying to tackle these days. Back in the 50s and early 60s (and even earlier), it was different and not as much equipment used but things have "progressed". Now they run around bashing each other and get up almost all the time.

I honestly don't know how league players do it, but maybe the tackling is more regulated?

Not really, only real rules are no hits to the head (but they still happen) and no lifting above the horizontal and dropping them on their heads. There’s a sort of rule against shoulder charges (not in my days, pretty recent really) but it’s easily got around.

The biggest thing when I played was the scrum, if there wasn’t one punch thrown every scrum something was wrong, and massive clash of heads whenever you packed down, nerve grips in the collar bone region if your opposite didn’t wear shoulder pads, kicks to the shins rather than at the ball, minor stuff really.

Then a 225-250 pound monster running at you full speed (some could do 100 yards in 11 or 12 seconds) and just you to stop him.

Ohh and test matches last 5 days.

Not really, only real rules are no hits to the head (but they still happen) and no lifting above the horizontal and dropping them on their heads. There’s a sort of rule against shoulder charges (not in my days, pretty recent really) but it’s easily got around.

Then a 225-250 pound monster running at you full speed (some could do 100 yards in 11 or 12 seconds) and just you to stop him.

Thanks for explaining that. Can't imagine crashing into big fast moving guys with no pads!

Ohh and test matches last 5 days.

Yep, this ^^