Things to do in Rotterdam

Ecuador

We were in Rotterdam last year and enjoyed our time there. Here are some photos of our day there. Have a wonderful trip!

Nice to hear you enjoyed Rotterdam, beautiful pictures also!

I read that you remarked "Some kind of memorial ceremony was going on near the Maritime Museum right at the Destroyed City War memorial". Reading that I felt the need to give a brief explanation to all readers and future visitors of Rotterdam.

Rotterdam commemorates on May 14th the German bombing that devastated the center at the beginning of the Second World War. At 13.29 hours two minutes of silence are observed, the exact time when the first bombs fell on the city in 1944. The heavy bombardment lasted for thirteen minutes. As a result, a fire arose that destroyed a large part of the historic center of Rotterdam. The bombardment and fire cost the lives of at least 650 people. More than 80 thousand people became homeless because 24 thousand houses were laid in ashes.

On the 'Stadhuisplein', thousands of people gathered to watch the championship match of Feyenoord. The two minutes of silence were also observed there. Unfortunately nowadays at this type of football matches parts of the city have to be protected with containers. So you visited Rotterdam on a very special day! Grief and Joy (Feyenoord won the match) on one special day in May.

Nice to hear you enjoyed Rotterdam, beautiful pictures also!

I read that you remarked "Some kind of memorial ceremony was going on near the Maritime Museum right at the Destroyed City War memorial". Reading that I felt the need to give a brief explanation to all readers and future visitors of Rotterdam.

Rotterdam commemorates on May 14th the German bombing that devastated the center at the beginning of the Second World War. At 13.29 hours two minutes of silence are observed, the exact time when the first bombs fell on the city in 1944. The heavy bombardment lasted for thirteen minutes. As a result, a fire arose that destroyed a large part of the historic center of Rotterdam. The bombardment and fire cost the lives of at least 650 people. More than 80 thousand people became homeless because 24 thousand houses were laid in ashes.

On the 'Stadhuisplein', thousands of people gathered to watch the championship match of Feyenoord. The two minutes of silence were also observed there. Unfortunately nowadays at this type of football matches parts of the city have to be protected with containers. So you visited Rotterdam on a very special day! Grief and Joy (Feyenoord won the match) on one special day in May.

Thank you so much for the explanation. A very special day indeed. Learn something new every day. We just didn't know on our brief stop there. May I quote your explanation on my blog with credit to you to explain abut that day?

Another option for Rotterdam outside of Rotterdam in this case) might be the waterbus leaving from the opposite of the cruiseterminal. This one brings you to Kinderdijk, a famous spot to see windmills.https://www.waterbus.nl/en/about-the-waterbus

• 2 weeks later...