Did princess change the ultimate balcony dining?

Optotronics

I was just in the cruise personalizer and the current description has no mention of champagne, flowers or 8x10 photo any longer.

Just wondering if this changed recently.

When they started charging extra for surf and turf at crown grill, we changed over to UBD because for only $20 more we got flowers, before dinner drink, champagne and a nice 8x10.

Here’s the current description for the UBD:

Ultimate Balcony Dining features a hosted cocktail party, fresh flowers, champagne and a deluxe four-course meal featuring delicate sweet lobster tail or juicy steak among many available delicacies“.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/

The only thing not described is the photo & last October on the Royal we received everything you described. Each time we’ve been able to exchange the half bottle of champagne for a 750ml bottle of wine that cost the same.

Here’s the current description for the UBD:

Ultimate Balcony Dining features a hosted cocktail party, fresh flowers, champagne and a deluxe four-course meal featuring delicate sweet lobster tail or juicy steak among many available delicacies“.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/

The only thing not described is the photo & last October on the Royal we received everything you described.

Yes, I just found that description, but why was the description in the personalizer changed? This is where payment is made and details are supposed to be given.

It still makes me wonder what has changed because items were removed from the description that is given when buying the item. What is shown in the link you gave doesn't matter, it's what is shown at the shopping cart.

Yes, I just found that description, but why was the description in the personalizer changed? This is where payment is made and details are supposed to be given.

It still makes me wonder what has changed because items were removed from the description that is given when buying the item. What is shown in the link you gave doesn't matter, it's what is shown at the shopping cart.

None of my future cruises show the UBD to pre-reserve so I cannot view the CP description that you see.

I’m not saying which description to believe nor why the CP description has changed. They contradict each other but that happens with some things Princess states. We never book it in advance & have enjoyed it many times using OBC by booking onboard.

Haven’t read any posts on CC about any UBD changes which would likely be posted if those things had been eliminated. Without reading about any changes I’ll attribute the contradictory statements to a lack of efficient proof reading which happens too often with Princess.

Hi Astro flyer,

We on the other hand have always prepaid for it thru the personalizer. It's in the "culinary delights" section along with the ultimate breakfast.

In any case it looks like the 8x10 was removed from all descriptions, so that is probably gone (no big deal we have some nice UBD photos already.

After all the cutbacks we've seen this past year, I now read all the descriptions closely to see if what we are getting has been downsized as well making sure I order a couple cases of bottled water first thing in case they decide to stop offering it again;)

Hi Astro flyer,

We on the other hand have always prepaid for it thru the personalizer. It's in the "culinary delights" section along with the ultimate breakfast.

In any case it looks like the 8x10 was removed from all descriptions, so that is probably gone (no big deal we have some nice UBD photos already.

After all the cutbacks we've seen this past year, I now read all the descriptions closely to see if what we are getting has been downsized as well making sure I order a couple cases of bottled water first thing in case they decide to stop offering it again;)

Wow a 30c photo and they cut it, how cheap. I’m sure that it would help sell the product when friends and family see it.

Hi Astro flyer,

Oops...thanks for refreshing my memory about where to locate it in the CP...blame it on being distracted by watching college football while posting. ;)

A sumptuous four-course meal, including succulent lobster tail and juicy steak, beverage of choice, hors d'oeuvres, all served right on the balcony by our dedicated waitstaff“.

I can see why you were concerned about that brief description which doesn’t list a photo nor champagne.

Like you we order our water package sooner than later because of that snafu earlier this year. Although like the changes from the AIBP to the PBP for passengers who already had it & coffee card changes they reserve the right to make changes. :(

Hopefully nothing has changed but I won’t know until our Spring 2019 cruise.

We just got off the CB on Tuesday and had the balcony dinner..nothing has changed, pre-dinner drinks, full courses, 1/2 bottle champagne, we got 3 roses in a vase, photographer took at least a dozen photos, one included, I am sure they wanted us to purchase more, but didn't. Very enjoyable.

• Like 1

We just got off the CB on Tuesday and had the balcony dinner..nothing has changed, pre-dinner drinks, full courses, 1/2 bottle champagne, we got 3 roses in a vase, photographer took at least a dozen photos, one included, I am sure they wanted us to purchase more, but didn't. Very enjoyable.

Good to know thanks for the update. :)

when you get downstairs to get your pic there is a 6/90 i think, package which isnt terrible pricing. for a ship

so make sure if you are interested you do some nice poses in the room

glad to hear nothing has changed. looking forward to the dining in my suite with all the room

when you get downstairs to get your pic there is a 6/90 i think, package which isnt terrible pricing. for a ship

so make sure if you are interested you do some nice poses in the room

glad to hear nothing has changed. looking forward to the dining in my suite with all the room

We weren't offered any kind of package for the balcony photos, but we didn't ask, just saw the regular price package. Anyway one photo was enough

We just got off the CB on Tuesday and had the balcony dinner..nothing has changed, pre-dinner drinks, Thafull courses, 1/2 bottle champagne, we got 3 roses in a vase, photographer took at least a dozen photos, one included, I am sure they wanted us to purchase more, but didn't. Very enjoyable.

That's reassuring to know. My wife and I booked the UBD almost a year ago for an upcoming Hawaiian cruise on the Star Princess, and are really looking forward to enjoying all the perks we were promised. Glad you enjoyed your dinner!:)

Question on how they do the Ultimate Balcony on the small balconies on the REGAL? It really seems too small?

They put up the table and chairs the same way...only the person away from the open door is kind of "stuck" getting up and out is tight, i'm not a "big" person, but I really had to suck it in to get back into the cabin for my camera. So choose who you want to stay put for the dinner on that side.....:Denjoy dinner and the views!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am on the Caribbean Princess next month (Feb) and the UBD was available for pre-purchase so I purchased it for my husband and I.   It says under the UBD this: 

A sumptuous four-course meal, including succulent lobster tail and juicy steak, beverage of choice, hors d'oeuvres, all served right on the balcony by our dedicated waitstaff.

No flowers mentioned and no picture. 

When I google this on the Princess website it says this:  

Enjoy an intimate, romantic dining experience with breathtaking views and a special meal served by your own dedicated waitstaff on your stateroom balcony. Ultimate Balcony Dining features a hosted cocktail party, fresh flowers, champagne and a deluxe four-course meal featuring delicate sweet lobster tail or juicy steak among many available delicacies.

For those who want to start the day with a romantic meal, opt for a breakfast which includes specialty pastries, fresh fruits, quiche, smoked salmon and other special treats served with a half bottle of chilled sparkling wine. This item may be ordered onboard by contacting room service or pre-purchased as a special service item (item #3009).

Available on all ships, the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is a unique Princess dining experience. This item may be  ordered onboard by contacting room service or pre-purchased as a special service item (item #3011).

So is it steak and lobster or steak or lobster? Flowers or no flowers?  I guess I will find out soon.  

10 minutes ago, CUontheC said:

I am on the Caribbean Princess next month (Feb) and the UBD was available for pre-purchase so I purchased it for my husband and I.   It says under the UBD this: 

A sumptuous four-course meal, including succulent lobster tail and juicy steak, beverage of choice, hors d'oeuvres, all served right on the balcony by our dedicated waitstaff.

No flowers mentioned and no picture. 

When I google this on the Princess website it says this:  

Enjoy an intimate, romantic dining experience with breathtaking views and a special meal served by your own dedicated waitstaff on your stateroom balcony. Ultimate Balcony Dining features a hosted cocktail party, fresh flowers, champagne and a deluxe four-course meal featuring delicate sweet lobster tail or juicy steak among many available delicacies.

For those who want to start the day with a romantic meal, opt for a breakfast which includes specialty pastries, fresh fruits, quiche, smoked salmon and other special treats served with a half bottle of chilled sparkling wine. This item may be ordered onboard by contacting room service or pre-purchased as a special service item (item #3009).

Available on all ships, the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is a unique Princess dining experience. This item may be  ordered onboard by contacting room service or pre-purchased as a special service item (item #3011).

So is it steak and lobster or steak or lobster? Flowers or no flowers?  I guess I will find out soon.  

Please let us all know what you discover. And Enjoy your cruise!!

in oct. on regal u could get steak and lobster but i dont like it so i got steak and salman. pee wee was a fantastic host and really took the time to make an excellent presentation. my gf and i were impressed!

only thing is they dont have the picture special they had 2 years ago. just one free pic and thats it. before it was 6 for 90 or something like that. 99% sure we got flowers but would have to look at my pics to be sure

• Like 1

We were on the Ruby Princess a month ago and enjoyed the Ultimate Balcony DInner one evening.  This was the fourth UBD we have enjoyed.

The "standard" entree choice is:

• Filet Mignon--two small filets
  • Lobster Tails--two tails
  • Surf 'n' Turf--one lobster tail and one filet

As others have mentioned, they do seem to accommodate some special requests.

We did have a centerpiece of roses on the table.  They will last for several days.

A photographer did come and took pictures before we started.  We never went to the photo gallery to claim it.  We have plenty enough pictures.

The "choice of hors d'oeurves" that CUontheC cites is a surprise to me.  We have never been offered a choice.  Maybe you have to ask.  The default on hors d'oeurves is a plate of eight canapes.  As I am writing this, I am smiling.  There are many, here on Cruise Critic, who seem to take pleasure in denigrating the canapes that Princess offers.  My wife and I like them.  So, no problem for us.  Since you are citing the Princess description, it sounds like you can request an alternative--shrimp cocktail, perhaps.

CUontheC, you will love the UBD,  I am not, by any means, a dessert person, and, I am, definitely not a chocolate person.  However, the dessert is amazing.

IMG_4011.jpg

• Like 1