Shipwreck Bar on St. Kitts shutting down?

SpeedsterX

I follow Shipwreck Beach Bar & Grill on their social media page and sadly, this appears to be true. I've copied and pasted (for accuracy) the post from Shipwreck Beach Bar & Grilles social media page this morning:

"Hey FB friends, thanks for your support already.....here is what we know...

YES, we have received a notice to vacate the land by the end of Feb, we did know it was likely but yes it was a bit quicker than we thought!

We are looking at our options and YES we have asked for more time!

Until we know more we are open as usual, everyday, with happy hours on Wed, Fri and Sat!!"

We were in St. Kitts on our most recent cruise, which was in September 2015, and spent the day at Shipwreck. We really, really, really enjoyed it. I know there have been mixed opinions about it, and it's not for everyone, but we loved it. From general comments I've seen, what we loved is what others may not care for. But for us, it was laid back, down to earth, but still fun; gorgeous views: we loved the water/snorkeling & the black sand; the drinks were very reasonably priced (didn't order anything to eat)...just a great, overall vibe. It's just sad to see places like this disappear to big resorts. :mad: Just very sad and I'm seriously bummed right now. Was looking forward to spending they day there the next opportunity we had to visit St. Kitts.

Was looking forward to visiting in May . . . Sounds like a great place to just vibe post island tour and grab a drink while being on a beach with black sand.

Soon we'll be charged triple the amount for the same beer at the Ritz, smh.

I loved Shipwreck and had been there a couple of times - once with my husband and once with 4 daughters. I just booked a cruise for September and had planned on taking 2 more of my daughters there. I rank it as one of the most beautiful beaches I have been to. I loved the laid back, small crowd, local feel to the place. I am sad for myself but even sadder for residents who are losing more and more of their public beaches and local hangouts. I hate the thought of a huge resort coming to that location! :loudcry:

So, I've been lurking around here, and trying to narrow down whether to return to St. Kitts or go elsewhere. Saw the news about Shipwreck, and that was the one place I wanted to make sure I visited. So I did a bit more digging, and now I see that that whole stretch of beach called Friars Bay will be affected. No beach access once they start building. So for those of you who are familiar, where in heck is a visitor to go? We don't really like the Strip during the day. We have been at night when we stayed on the island, but it's not the prettiest place in the day time.

What are my options for beaches if Friars beach is off the table?

Was looking forward to visiting in May . . . Sounds like a great place to just vibe post island tour and grab a drink while being on a beach with black sand.

Soon we'll be charged triple the amount for the same beer at the Ritz, smh.

Rumour?

The new facility will restrict numbers and charge all visitors, so no Towles or Herds. Interesting the beds and umberella with use of facilities only, will possibly have a price of around $50.00 per couple.

The "Beaches are free" parrots will find the beach is owned and not public, with security patrols.

This is a wish not a rumour

Edited by PORT ROYAL

We had plans to visit in June. :loudcry:

For what it's worth, there is a petition to try and change this or at least see if something else can be done.

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/453/434/245/save-south-friars-beach-and-bars/?taf_id=50180290&cid=fb_na#bbfb=652732420

Something must be done?

Change it?

Okay, have you got about $100,000,000.00 as this will possibly change it or you?

Since someone else mentioned doing some "digging" on this, I also did some of my own digging yesterday afternoon. CheekiMonkey, you're correct in that it will be more on South Friar's Bay than just Shipwreck. In that "digging" I was doing, these are the major points:

1. Owner of land in hurry to meet demands of buyer, thus wanting rid of the bars ASAP.

2. Carambola will likely not be affected since they own instead of lease that parcel of land

3. In the past, that area was restricted from development because a) wetland area for migrating birds and b) low lying land making it a hurricane zone

4. It appears regulations were changed at some point, greatly increasing value of the property

5. It is known that the owner is a Kuwaiti Corporation w/NY address; it's *believed* owner is foreign person well connected to St. Kitts' government (also did some digging on that, won't mention name in case incorrect, but individual I'm thinking of has donated quite a bit to St. Kitts).

Whether this is *fact* or *crap* (real or fake news), I have no idea but it sounds legit. Attaching the article for anyone interested.

https://www.themanchineel.com/non-satire/sob/

I'm really disappointed by this as Shipwreck is exactly what we love in a beach bar, not to mention those gorgeous views!!! :( It would be nice if "wetlands for migrating birds" could be used to the advantage of leaving South Friar's bay as is (undeveloped, thus eliminating need to get rid of Shipwreck and the others), but if it's birds vs. $$$, $$$ usually wins.

Edited by pghsteelerfan
Edited for "spacing"...for some reason I'm getting triple instead of double space when trying to separate paragraphs???

Or should we not bother, try different itinerary? Or do something else on St Kitts stop? But what else? I did the rainforest, and also the fortress.

I know what you mean about "what else" if you've seen everything. Have you been to Cockleshell beach before? It's on the southern most part of the island. It's also nice with great views of Nevis. We were at Cockleshell our first time in St. Kitts and went to Shipwreck on our most recent visit. Cockleshell is nice, but I fell in love with Shipwreck. Cockleshell is about a half hour from port, taxi ride is $28.00 per cab, each way. If if there are four or more people then it's $7.00 per person, each way. There are a few beach bars at Cockleshell, the most popular is the Reggae Beach Bar. There are a few others, but don't know names off hand. One is a little "upscale" from my understanding.

We'd planned on spending the whole day at Shipwreck next time we get to St. Kitts, but now I'm thinking of taking a ship excursion to Nevis.

I know what you mean about "what else" if you've seen everything. Have you been to Cockleshell beach before? It's on the southern most part of the island. It's also nice with great views of Nevis. We were at Cockleshell our first time in St. Kitts and went to Shipwreck on our most recent visit. Cockleshell is nice, but I fell in love with Shipwreck. Cockleshell is about a half hour from port, taxi ride is $28.00 per cab, each way. If if there are four or more people then it's $7.00 per person, each way. There are a few beach bars at Cockleshell, the most popular is the Reggae Beach Bar. There are a few others, but don't know names off hand. One is a little "upscale" from my understanding.

We'd planned on spending the whole day at Shipwreck next time we get to St. Kitts, but now I'm thinking of taking a ship excursion to Nevis.

Discerning cruisers now spend the day at Sunshine's.

No Herds No Towles

Since someone else mentioned doing some "digging" on this, I also did some of my own digging yesterday afternoon. CheekiMonkey, you're correct in that it will be more on South Friar's Bay than just Shipwreck. In that "digging" I was doing, these are the major points:

1. Owner of land in hurry to meet demands of buyer, thus wanting rid of the bars ASAP.

2. Carambola will likely not be affected since they own instead of lease that parcel of land

3. In the past, that area was restricted from development because a) wetland area for migrating birds and b) low lying land making it a hurricane zone

4. It appears regulations were changed at some point, greatly increasing value of the property

5. It is known that the owner is a Kuwaiti Corporation w/NY address; it's *believed* owner is foreign person well connected to St. Kitts' government (also did some digging on that, won't mention name in case incorrect, but individual I'm thinking of has donated quite a bit to St. Kitts).

Whether this is *fact* or *crap* (real or fake news), I have no idea but it sounds legit. Attaching the article for anyone interested.

I'm really disappointed by this as Shipwreck is exactly what we love in a beach bar, not to mention those gorgeous views!!! :( It would be nice if "wetlands for migrating birds" could be used to the advantage of leaving South Friar's bay as is (undeveloped, thus eliminating need to get rid of Shipwreck and the others), but if it's birds vs. $$$, $$$ usually wins.

Same people who have bought, and looking to buy, on Grand Anse in Grenada?

Same people who have bought, and looking to buy, on Grand Anse in Grenada?

I haven't heard anything about Grand Anse in Grenada, so I don't know. I believe it's the owner of the land that Shipwreck/others are on that the article mentioned without naming. I've seen some of reports (speculation?) that Ritz Carlton is the potential buyer.

Thanks. Did some digging of my own, and found the same/similar info.

I think this is for real:(

Yeah ... been to Cockleshell, and have spent days starting there, and working our way back with last or next to last stop being Shipwreck. One year, we would breakfast at Shipwreck, head further south, then wind our way back again. Glad we took the time to actually vacation there and do those driving, leisurely days. Liked the fact that it was so laid back, you could literally pack the rental car with your supplies, change of clothes, and simply wander from beach shack to beach shack. Even on cruise itinerary and relying on taxis, it's still a favorite thing to do.