best place to stay in Chipping Campden or Stow on Wold?

poss

I would love to hear from travelers who've stayed in either of these Cotswold towns. We're looking for fine accommodations, quiet as possible, king bed, great shower (don't like tubs). Hoping not to have to spend more than about $350 per night.

Places I looked at on Trip Advisor looked dowdy. I'd love to find someplace that has a handsome, "historical" exterior (the wonderful stone, etc), but that has good updated interiors, beds, bathroom fixtures, etc. Is this possible in my price range?

Thank you in advance.

Could you give us a better idea by saying which hotels you have dismissed as ‘dowdy’? If that includes somewhere like the Cotswold House, perhaps the best hotel in Chipping Campden, then I fear the place you are looking for does not exist! In part, because somewhere with a fine preserved exterior is likely also to have a preserved (by law) interior due to our listing laws for historic buildings.

Have you looked outside the town centres at some of the country house hotels, such as the Dormy House (above Broadway, but a short distance from Chipping Campden)?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I appreciate the two responses. Can you tell me how Cotswold House compares to Woolmarket, please?

Thank you.

It is hard to compare (and as a local I have stayed in neither). Woolmarket House is a high-end B&B, whereas Cotswold House is a luxury hotel and spa, so entirely different concepts.

Woolmarket House only opened this summer, I think. Sarah and Michael, the owners, also run the very popular Michael’s restaurant downstairs (Greek/Mediterranean cuisine). They are very hospitable folk, and I would imagine they run the B&B in the same vein.

In terms of location, Cotswold House and Michael’s are virtually neighbours, so no difference there, although the hotel has a car park.

They only have four rooms so don’t leave it too long! Just to be crystal clear, Woolmarket House is a B&B, so it’s not only the spa that’s the difference, but all the other facilities you’d expect in a full service hotel. Also my point about old buildings applies - odd shaped rooms and not accessible for the mobility challenged (the B&B is all upstairs from the restaurant).

All that accepted, I’m sure you’ll have a great time. I live a few miles away, so always here for local tips and advice!

We were four couples. Rented donnington brewery house in Stow on the Wold. Cheaper than hotel, the grounds are spectacular and some free beer is involved. Was used twice for filming Father Brown—the brewer’s daughter. We loved the house. Has complete kitchen and laundry.

Sent from my iPad using Forums