Wanted: Rough Seas

rmf11699

Sailing the Tasman Sea between New Zealand and Australia is commonly rough. Also, around Honduras on the Pacific side of Central America.

The worst we have sailed, besides the Tasman Sea, was right outside the opening in Puget Sound, the Straits of San Juan de Fuca.

You know it's no different then when people say will it be calm. It depends.

I've sailed around Cape Horn four times. One time was one of our roughest days at sea. Another one was pretty rough. The other two were calm.

CruiserBruce is correct that the Tasman Sea can be very rough and the odds say it will but we've sailed it three times and it too varied.

So you never know.

But to add to the mix I would add in Japan over to Vancouver or directly to the USA mainland. We encountered a couple of days of very rough seas.

Want something that you will remember forever. A rogue wave but it's anyone's guess where and when it will happen.

You can maximize the roughness you will feel by taking a room as far forward as you can on the highest passenger deck.

Keith

I was on the old Premier Atlantic (later the MSC Melody) in '91 for our senior cruise. Our cabin was on Lounge Deck which was as high as you could go on that ship. Our first night we crossed the gulf stream and it was so rough that glassware slid off tables and people slid out of bunks. Not an experience I ever want to repeat!

Bay of Biscay was rather rock n roll. I’ll compare to Tasman sea in January, yay!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was on NCL Jade between Iceland and Scotland with 24 foot waves.

Picked up 2 over 70’s off the floor. Now I know why the cabin stewards tuck the sheets in so tight [emoji33]

Got back and cancelled next summers cruise across....... the bay of Biscay!!

We have sailed many places and encountered rough seas many times.

One time we were leaving the Panama Canal on the Caribbean side when we encountered high winds and rough seas. So bad that at 9 PM second dinner was cancelled, all elevators were lowered to the lowest deck and everyone was ordered back to their cabins. Our dining room steward fell and broke 2 fingers. His assistant was pouring coffee and when he fell, the coffee burned his hand.

One time in the Baltic we hit rough seas and I was thrown out of bed -- high deck -- middle of the ship. Thankfully I didn't break anything.

It is hard to predict when and where you may encounter rough seas.

In modern ships with stabilizers, we definitely agree about the Tasman Sea - roughest seas we've encountered. A close 2nd was several days between the Shetland Islands and Iceland in September. We actually enjoy a little 'rocking and rolling' and don't get sick ever, but sometimes the extreme conditions do get a little unnerving!

The worst sea we ever encountered was a freak storm crossing between the Kona and Maui in the old SS Constitution back in the 1980's. Dishes breaking, deck chairs blowing overboard, unable to walk without pulling yourself along using the handrails - had to drink those Mai Tai's quickly before they all sloshed out of the glass!. Luckily that one didn't last long.

What months is it rough in the Tasman Sea?

Maybe someone from AU/NZ will respond, but I think it can happen any time of year. Our sailings have all been January-March. It was very rough on 4 out of 5 sailings.

I have been on a few cruises from Phila and NYC to Bermuda in Both May and October, and one from NYC to Caribbean and back in November, they were the roughest I have seen, out in the Atlantic. You couldn't even walk down the hall, the floor would come up to meet your foot. At one point on one trip they were making announcements for the ladies not to wear high heeled shoes.