What to Replace the Wife's Pentax MX-1 With...

shootr

It's had a good run, but this last trip to Hawaii, the missus camera started getting more and more buggy (random zooming, spontaneous power off's, etc.)

This is the DP review: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-mx-1

In a nutshell the features I really want her to have is:

*More/less a compact body, not larger like the all-in-one style camera's that are pretty large front to back.

*F2.5 or better lens across the whole zoom range

*Viewfinder

The rest should be fine given current technology (sensor size, video (is not a priority), etc. She's kind of hard on equipment so over $500 will start to give me pause :D

I'm not having much luck on DP Review weeding through the options, so figured for giggles I'd see what you all might know about and/or use.

Just curious if she has any opinions on what type of camera she wants to use. I am a real Pentax fan as I find their cameras well built and weather resistant. Have their new K1 but obviously not a light camera. The Pentax K01 is a mirror less model by Pentax which is good. It takes the regular Pentax lenses. If you are looking for something more compact check out the Lumix cameras. I have 2 of them - a P&S model and a DSLR but without interchangeable lenses. They are all great cameras with good quality photos and easy to use.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do use Sony cameras (DSLR and Mirrorless) so I am a bit biased. But I bought a Sony DSC-HX90V for our cruise this year on the Baltic Sea. It is in your price range. I had heard that the pickpockets in St. Petersburg were adept at removing changeable lenses so looked for a good point-and-shoot. It did a fantastic job for that port with museum and palace shots, but I also used it more than I expected. A nice Zeis lens that extends out to 720mm. The viewfinder is very nice to use. One feature that I didn't realize it had until I went to use it was a "selfie" timer. It counts down three seconds before snapping the photo giving time to get set. Not really a selfie user but turned into one!

It's had a good run, but this last trip to Hawaii, the missus camera started getting more and more buggy (random zooming, spontaneous power off's, etc.)

*More/less a compact body, not larger like the all-in-one style camera's that are pretty large front to back.

*Viewfinder

The rest should be fine given current technology (sensor size, video (is not a priority), etc. She's kind of hard on equipment so over $500 will start to give me pause :D

I'm not having much luck on DP Review weeding through the options, so figured for giggles I'd see what you all might know about and/or use.

The Sony RX100 III has incredible image quality and the lens is fast over it's range. it's $150 - $200 over your stated budget but the series has been leading the class that it established since the first one came out.

The suggestion of the HX90V is also a good one, though the lens isn't as fast as you want.

For the giggles you mentioned, the A6000 with the 16-50 PZ kit lens (I still like that lens) is about the same size as the MX-1 and can be found for about $600 (with lens) on Amazon.

Dave

Did you try a new battery? I have the HX50V for my backup camera and would love to go to the HX90V, but can't justify it to myself just for a viewfinder. It was my main camera before I was talked into the A6000 by the people here (thank you all!). I'd buy the RX10 if I didn't care at all about retiring some day!

Vic

• 4 weeks later...

The MX-1 was a massively under-rated camera when it came out, with a lovely lens and sensor combination shared with a similarly-specced Olympus model. You might consider looking out for a Fuji X30 if you can find one at the right price - it's got a larger (2/3") sensor and a nice fast lens. Also a great viewfinder which is a bonus, and nice tilt rear LCD like the MX-1. To be honest the Pentax punched above its weight with image quality so I don't think you'd notice a massive improvement but the Fuji is also a lovely camera, and mine - which has been requisitioned by my daughter who is using it as part of her graphic design degree - has lasted unscathed for quite some time now (I may regret saying that.....).

I took the X30 with me on my first cruise to the Baltic a couple of years ago, and left all my more capable gear at home. I posted some thoughts and images on my blog, which may be of interest: https://thephotographersblock.wordpress.com/2015/12/13/leaving-the-gear-at-home/

Cheers,

Jon

*Viewfinder

From a Pentax perspective...

I have the K-1. Actually, I have two. I have tried to get my wife to carry one, she refuses. Too heavy.

I have the K01 mirrorless. An ok camera, if you can find one used, pair it with a midrange zoom and it could be a good alternative.

I have the Pentax/Ricoh WG-3 and WG-5, weatherproof waterproof do everything pocket cameras. Until I get into low light situations calling for high ISO (e.g., church interiors) it is often a tossup between shots on the WG-5 and those on the way bigger way heavier way more expensive K-1. Assuming no cropping, no large-scale prints.

But back to my wife, given that she won't buy into my Pentax choices, her camera of choice is a small Leica D-Lux point-and-shoot with exceptional degrees of control for a camera of this type. And it has an electronic viewfinder you can use in lieu of holding the camera like an iPhone or iPad out in front of you. Image quality is excellent.

The D Lux (Typ 109) is a good suggestion and the Panasonic LX100 is the same camera in more cost effective form so worth seeking out. I'd go for the Panasonic/Lumix as you would pay a very high Leica tax now for what is an aging model. There is no difference in sensor, lens or functionality between the two cameras although some Leica users are convinced the JPEGs are different (they aren't).

From a Pentax perspective...

I have the K-1. Actually, I have two. I have tried to get my wife to carry one, she refuses. Too heavy.

I have the K01 mirrorless. An ok camera, if you can find one used, pair it with a midrange zoom and it could be a good alternative.

I have the Pentax/Ricoh WG-3 and WG-5, weatherproof waterproof do everything pocket cameras. Until I get into low light situations calling for high ISO (e.g., church interiors) it is often a tossup between shots on the WG-5 and those on the way bigger way heavier way more expensive K-1. Assuming no cropping, no large-scale prints.

But back to my wife, given that she won't buy into my Pentax choices, her camera of choice is a small Leica D-Lux point-and-shoot with exceptional degrees of control for a camera of this type. And it has an electronic viewfinder you can use in lieu of holding the camera like an iPhone or iPad out in front of you. Image quality is excellent.