Disney Aulani 1 night pre cruise.........worth it or just stay in Waikiki Beach?

wadeod

If you really want to get to Aulani, why not? What's the price difference between where you would stay in Waikiki? If you don't plan to go back to Oahu and are a big Disney fan I think it would be worth it.

Plenty can be done in one evening and one morning. That's enough time to do the pools, see the beach, have a meal, do the fireside storytelling, and end with a character breakfast. If you want to go big you could even do the Disney Luau that night. Timewise the POA doesn't leave until later in the afternoon so you'll have 24 hours. Just know that Aulani is expensive and plan/budget for what you want.

Have an 11-13 year olds who like disney. Is this resort worth it if you only have one night pre cruise? We get in at 1:30 pm the night before the cruise.

My fear is if you do that the kids will say, "have fun on the cruise, we are staying here at Aulani. Bon voyage".

As cool as Aulani is, you don't have time to enjoy anything there. Just stay in Waikiki.

I guess this really depends on your travel style. I travel a lot and often have trips somewhere for 24 hours that I get a lot out of. Sure, not the same amount as a week, but one evening out is still one evening of fun to me.

However if you're the type who gets overwhelmed and needs to acclimate or will just sit around for that one night, then maybe 24 hours isn't enough for you.

Waikiki does not look very exciting for my kids. We're spending our pre-cruise nights there only because its free, then going to Aulani after when we can get more value for our money.

• 1 month later...

You have 24 hours....your kids will never forget seeing Mickey all the way around the world. I say go to Aulani, but, then, I am a Disney freak.....one of those lucky enough to have been bitten by the Magic. Honolulu will look, to them, like any other downtown-big-hotel atmosphere. Yes, it's expensive, but you only have to pay for one night!

Our kids have enjoyed Waikiki since they were very young (8 months old) and still love it (they are in their 20's). They love swimming in Waikiki, surfing, going on a catamaran or outrigger canoe, and just enjoying a great beach day. We have also enjoyed the Aulani. It is about an hour away from the airport and there is no public transportation so is most easily and economically reached by rental car. We love the resort but I don't think I would do it for one night. After landing at HNL, collecting luggage, and grabbing a taxi you can have your toes in the sand and drink in hand on Waikiki within 30-45 minutes. So funny that some say that Waikiki is just another big city, we have lived and been in many large cities and Waikiki Beach doesn't remind me of any of them. This, of course, is just my opinion. Cherie

Edited by cccole

wadeod, I think Cherie knows more about this than I do....I'm just a Disney freak and would love to go to Aulani. But I am going on the cruise next April and will not be going to Aulani, so you need to take me with a grain of salt. Have a great trip! :cool: