What's the rudest or strangest thing you've seen recently on a Royal Caribbean ship?

Not always. Ted Cruz was born in Canada but was allowed to run for president. He was deemed a naturalized US citizen because his mother was a US citizen and his father was a US resident, not citizen. Sorry, didn't mean to take this thread even further off topic.

He was not a naturalized citizen. His mother was US citizen, so he is also, no matter where he was born.

You can also be a US citizen by being born on US soil, no matter what the citizenship of your parents.

IIRC, in the past, the US required that someone with dual citizenship pick one or the other at age 18.

Because they have not figured out that the food they eat does not magically appear.

Okay- I just HAVE to address this. I don't believe the person referring to the "farmer's blow" was in any way attempting to degrade or belittle farmers. As a former firefighter, I very quickly learned what a "farmer's blow" was and why it is sometimes necessary. (For anyone who doesn't need the gross description as to where the name came from and why, you'll want to stop reading now.) When you're working your butt off in cold or wind, often your nose will start to run. You don't have time to stop what your doing to pull out a tissue and daintily blow your nose. You also need to be able to breathe. Therefore, you hold one side of your nose shut while quickly and powerfully blowing out the other. Then, you keep working. This does not imply that farmers are somehow unhygienic or any "less than" anyone else. It implies that they work their tails off. I don't expect they would do this anywhere it wasn't absolutely necessary. But, if you would prefer to call it a "firefighter's blow," I sure won't take offense.

Constitution says Natural born but offers no definition. I personally didn’t believe he qualified.

Natural born is citizen at birth. It can be by location (born in the US) or based on US citizen parent.

He was not a naturalized citizen. His mother was US citizen, so he is also, no matter where he was born.

You can also be a US citizen by being born on US soil, no matter what the citizenship of your parents.

IIRC, in the past, the US required that someone with dual citizenship pick one or the other at age 18.

Understood, but the argument was you cannot be eligible to run for President in the US if you are not born in the US. I simply pointed out that Cruz was allowed to run despite the fact he was born in Canada. The citizenship issues are another thing altogether

Seems to read about it being done for tax avoidance. Like I said I don't understand why it is allowed. It just seems to me that when you want to become a US citizen you should surrender your previous citizenship. Kind of like your DL in the states.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Every year 2,500-3,000 USA citizens renounce their citizenship, the main reason is to avoid paying taxes on their world wide income. If income taxes are paid in a foreign country, then credits and/or deductions can be taken for said taxes.

The advantage of dual citizenship for my wife, who is also a citizen of the Philippines, is that she can travel on a US passport but take advantage of the laws in the Philippines to own land, as no foreigners can own land there. The Philippines considered that she had renounced her citizenship when she became a US Citizen, but she went to the consulate and they do paperwork which says we know you only said that to become a U S citizen, we know you still love the Philippines.

Another consideration for US citizenship is the fact that the feds could change the rules at any time and start deporting people for any reason or no reason.

Understood, but the argument was you cannot be eligible to run for President in the US if you are not born in the US. I simply pointed out that Cruz was allowed to run despite the fact he was born in Canada. The citizenship issues are another thing altogether

But he did renounce his Canadian citizenship.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Some countries don't allow it, that is why.

Citizenship implies a loyalty to the country of citizenship. So with dual citizenship, in a conflict between the two, where do your loyalties lie?

But I'm a citizen of two countries that do allow it, so it's not an issue for me.

I was born in the U.S. and spent the first 26 years of my life there. I love the country, my family still live there, and it is still home to me.

When I moved to the U.K. and started a family, after 10 years here with no prospect of moving back to the U.S. I took British citizenship because (1) I was entitled to it, and (2) I didn't like carrying a different coloured passport to the rest of my family, and having to get in a different line at airports. This is also home to me. I have built a life here, I have a job, a house, and a family. I already feel different enough with the way I speak. Why should I exclude myself further by not taking the citizenship to which I am entitled?

I have to be honest, I don't get why people are getting their knickers in a twist about "loyalties". Who cares? It's not an issue. The U.S. and the U.K. aren't in any sort of conflict. I'm not going to lie awake at night fretting over something that may never happen.

When it's the World Cup, however, I root for the U.S. Can't believe they're not in it this time. My loyalties will have to lie with England this time around.

But I'm a citizen of two countries that do allow it, so it's not an issue for me.

I was born in the U.S. and spent the first 26 years of my life there. I love the country, my family still live there, and it is still home to me.

When I moved to the U.K. and started a family, after 10 years here with no prospect of moving back to the U.S. I took British citizenship because (1) I was entitled to it, and (2) I didn't like carrying a different coloured passport to the rest of my family, and having to get in a different line at airports. This is also home to me. I have built a life here, I have a job, a house, and a family. I already feel different enough with the way I speak. Why should I exclude myself further by not taking the citizenship to which I am entitled?

I have to be honest, I don't get why people are getting their knickers in a twist about "loyalties". Who cares? It's not an issue. The U.S. and the U.K. aren't in any sort of conflict. I'm not going to lie awake at night fretting over something that may never happen.

When it's the World Cup, however, I root for the U.S. Can't believe they're not in it this time. My loyalties will have to lie with England this time around.

That's very generous of you to continue to file USA income taxes while living in UK and paying UK taxes. Of course it is expensive to renounce USA citizenship.

Awww thanks! Not everyone even knows what it means. :o

I not only know what it means, I live by it. One of the best principles on Earth. Step by step it makes this a better place to live.

The opposite of being rude and selfish, in fact (just to keep a bit of relevance to the thread :) )

That's very generous of you to continue to file USA income taxes while living in UK and paying UK taxes. Of course it is expensive to renounce USA citizenship.

Generosity has nothing to do with it, and whether I was a citizen of the U.K. or not, living and working in this country I am required to PAYE - pay as you earn. It's taken out of my wages whether I want it to be or not. Why then should I not have the benefit of citizenship of my resident country if I'm entitled to it? It's a no brainer, really. I don't earn enough to worry about the foreign earned income exclusion.

Edited to add: It does cost a fortune to renounce, and it's a big topic of conversation in my American expat groups, but that's more as a result of the current administration rather than tax avoidance.

The weirdest thing I've seen on an RC ship was this afternoon on Brilliance. A woman was wearing a leather/vinyl mini-skirt and pasties in Windjammer. Technically she wasn't violating the dress code since it says swimsuits must be covered. It doesn't mention pasties.

I've seen too many instances of obnoxiously rude behavior on cruises to attempt to decide which was worst.

I'll bring it back on track :D

This didn't happen on a cruise ship but its quite strange and unpleasant.

A colleague of mine took a client out for lunch and at the end of the meal, at the table, he whipped his false teeth out and licked them clean there and then right infront of him. Then carried on as normal.

My friend was that shocked he still can't really talk about it now :')

Edited by Tin can

I'll bring it back on track :D

This didn't happen on a cruise ship but its quite strange and unpleasant.

A colleague of mine took a client out for lunch and at the end of the meal, at the table, he whipped his false teeth out and licked them clean there and then right infront of him. Then carried on as normal.

My friend was that shocked he still can't really talk about it now :')

Omg that is gross.

Omg that is gross.

We always get a table for 2 because in the past we have had,

People picking their noses and eating it at the table.

People eating with their mouths wide open.

People turning up 10-20 minutes late on fixed dining.

Always someone blowing their nose when everyone else is eating.

Omg that is gross.

Honestly, after being told about that experience on land I do not believe I will ever see anything on a cruise ship that will ever shock me as much.

Its the end of mankind as we know it if I do.....

I am not a fan of people in line for omelet station in buffet inviting large number of friends/relatives to join them.

People who storm into elevators without letting people off.

People who talk on their phones while on tourbus and guide is talking