Talk to me about Rxs

Cabron

This is a broad-reaching and interesting thread that certainly points to the vast difference between Rx insurance coverage, at least in the US.

It reminds me of the often repeated discussions I would have with prospective employees considering a faculty (or other) position on a California State University campus.

When those folks would bristle at the cost-of-living in the SF Bay Area, I'd pull out a calculator and explain the value of CalPERS benefits that, over the long haul, could have them taking home retirement pay that exceeded their highest salary (with COLA increases) AND provide what is among the best Medical/Dental/Rx coverage in the US.

With most generic drugs costing only a few dollars for a 3 month supply (and even many brand name meds deeply discounted) (not to mention supplemental coverage for Medicare recipients that fully covers international travel), there is little need for anyone with that coverage to seek out foreign pharmacies for "stocking up."

Certain other US states (e.g., New York) also have decent insurance for their employees. For "younger" CC readers: Don't just focus on salaries when looking at potential employment and/or relocation!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let me state the obvious, not everyone works for the government either state or federal. Thankfully, Many of us work in the private sector. :rolleyes:

Let me state the obvious, not everyone works for the government either state or federal. Thankfully, Many of us work in the private sector. :rolleyes:

Of course, that's understood. The cited example of how good can be Rx insurance was offered as evidence of the importance for job seekers (public or private sector) to look at/consider the provisions of health benefits when considering the "value" related to a salary offer.

In one sense, it's analogous to shopping for a cruise. So many folks look solely at cabin price rather that the total cost of all the required/anticipated cruise related expenses (e.g., beverages, gratuities, airfare, etc). Often, what may be considered an "expensive" cruise is so inclusive as to easily equal or better the value associated with a discount cruise line's basic "cabin price" once the required/optional costs are added.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You might be confusing prescription drug with controlled substance. I'll just take my chances with my Lipitor and half-strength Prilosec.

Prilosec is OTC in MA.

lipitor is Rx,, My late dh took both.

Tell that to my employer...

My asthma med went from being a $65 co-pay per month up to off-the-list and $350/month. And, there is no generic available for it for substitution.

I think I'm on the same asthma controller. For now, the insurance I pay through the nose for still covers it.

The only filled rX I take with me is prednisone in case I have a severe asthma flare.

Prilosec is OTC in MA.
In 20 mg strength (and with an assumption that you take 14 pills in four months, per label directions) it's OTC. I take 10 mg daily and for some reason that requires a prescription (but the copay at Costco is lower than for the OTC 20 mg, so it's moot).

My point is, it and the Lipitor are Rx meds, but easily identified as to what they are, so I don't sweat loose pills in my carry-on luggage. If I had a controlled substance I'd certainly be more careful about having documentation.