Current input of cruisers to this port?

nini

I am hoping that anyone who visits this port in October/ November can relay the status and how the island

is recovering.

Our cruise line is not changing the itinerary for January and our traveling friends really do not want to visit ports where there is nothing to do or anywhere to spend money to help with the local businesses.

The same would also apply to other damaged Eastern Caribbean ports. Our final payment is in a couple of weeks.

TIA

We are sailing Mid November and our itinerary has not changed. Our cruise line was supposed to let us know of any changes 30 days out and they have not updated our itinerary. They have sent some ships west. Some of us fear they will STILL send us to St Maarten and San Juan. I just read an update on the islands and I will feel terrible if they send us there-so many people are still trying to put thier lives back together. If I had the option to re-book/cancel-I would. But of course all this happened after our final payment was due.

This update is from today, October 13.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/travel/caribbean-tourism-hurricane-recovery.html

Kateg-

We are on Princess. Depending on your cruise line and/or cruise insurance; you may be able to cancel or transfer your funds to a different cruise with the same cruise line (at a later date).

I feel for you as well, and would love to know what will happen with your cruise!

Please keep us informed.

Note: It is not that we do not have any sympathy; it is that there would be no shore excursions or stores to spend any money to be able to support the locals.

It is highly doubtful that the cruise ships will return if there are no shore excursions available or if there are no stores open. They have a vested interested in making sure there is something for you to do when they drop you off. The areas like San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Martin that were hardest hit will not be back 100% any time soon, but there will still be some of those things available before the cruise ships return.

You will just have to decide whether there is enough available to get off the ship. And to determine if it is worth it knowing that you are helping the island recover even if it is a 'lesser' experience.

I am not concerned about having a "lesser" experience- just that how and where would I contribute to the economy

if there are no available venues to do so.

And yes, I would think that it would be important to the cruise line as well, because they have an income from their own shore excursions.

It is just frustrating to not get an answer from the cruise line before final payment- we are willing but our traveling companions are not.

The problem is that everyone is aiming at a "moving target". It is impossible to be certain about conditions two or three months from now. Ships will be returning to St. Maarten in just over three weeks. Of course, there will be less going on than before the storms -- but the best way to have things "going on" is to pump some money and - MORE IMPORTANT - morale into the island.

The lines are, of course, playing it by ear - they cannot be 100% certain about what ports will be ready - or when.

But you knew at the time you booked the cruise that the itinerary would be subject to change -- without your prior consent. So, best advice is to suck it up and enjoy yourself -- it is not all about you; the islanders need help, and people showing up - perhaps just to go to a beach and drink a beer - is real help at this point.

Again, I would love to SPEND my money there!!! If there are venues in which to do so; And yes, I realize what a contract/ agreement is- I am a paralegal and believe me, I can teach a class on sucking it up.

I am trying to navigate my way with another couple who have doubts.

Again, I would love to SPEND my money there!!! If there are venues in which to do so; And yes, I realize what a contract/ agreement is- I am a paralegal and believe me, I can teach a class on sucking it up.

I am trying to navigate my way with another couple who have doubts.

Understood.

I do believe, however, that a cruise line would not plan a stop there if there were not a fair number of options available to passengers. It is virtually certain that the beaches (and transportation to them) will be available. And it is also virtually certain that at least some of the shopping venues will be up and running - possibly even with attractive "back in business" prices.

Of course, there will be less going on than in normal times, but I suspect the traditional welcoming attitude of the residents will be even warmer.

We have cancelled our usual two weeks in January on the island because where we stay has been seriously damaged and they are closed "until further notice" - but with a minimum of nine months estimated. As an alternative we have booked a twelve day cruise - and hope that the still-scheduled port call at Philipsburg does remain.

Again, I would love to SPEND my money there!!! If there are venues in which to do so.

Not understanding why you are so stuck on the question of 'Will there be things to do there?" Yes, there will. Will there be as many things as before the hurricane? Probably not. But, at a minimum, like NavyBankerTeacher said, you can go to the beach and drink a beer. And even that little bit would help the island.

The only question now is: Is what is available worth getting off the ship to do? Only you can answer that one.

In talking to a friend who owns 2 stores there on Front street is in good shape as far as the buildings go and they are working on the beach area. The dock area which he has one store took a good hit but they are getting it together also . The island as a whole is in very bad shape as we all can see. Orient beach is just about gone. The airport is working out of tents and is taking flights. The nicer hotels are down for who knows how long. R.C.C.L. has just tell everyone that they are back this next month. It looks like to me that most people will be around town area and dock area or on the beach. Getting around the island could become tuff for the near future ! I thought that they might put our cruise back on the port list but Celebrity confirmed to us today that we are going to St. Kitts and St. Criox for sure! And St Croix is not in great shape either ! We are just going to enjoy the cruise and let everything fall into place !

We are going November 11th, scheduled to stop in St. Maarten and San Juan, no change in itineraries.....yet. If we do stop, I will post and let everyone know what's going on.

That would be very appreciated. Feel terrible for them.

That would be very appreciated. Feel terrible for them.

Look up Ukigirl's posts. Her trip was changed to Western Carribbean. Royal was going to Sint Maarten on Nov 11th. Then people who work for Royal visited the island to see what Sint Maarten had to offer. The first cruise going back to Sint Maarten is now December 17, 2017. The Oasis class ships and Quantum (Anthem) class are not going back until after the New Year (January 2018) because the dock (s?) that accommodate these size ships needs to be repaired.

I will be on Grandeur in December, docking in St Maarten on December 17, so I guess we will be the first ship. I am planning to go up to Orient Beach, but if anyone has specific questions, I can see if I can answer them.

Regards,

Mike

I will be on Grandeur in December, docking in St Maarten on December 17, so I guess we will be the first ship. I am planning to go up to Orient Beach, but if anyone has specific questions, I can see if I can answer them.

Regards,

Mike

I planned on going to Kakao Beach which is a part of Orient. There has been no updates on their website and I cant find anything. I am sure the communications are bad. The French side of the island seems to have really been battered. I will be anxiously be waiting to hear about what you see on your trip to Orient.

We will be on the Independence docking in St Maarten on Dec 25. We plan to hit Mullet Bay and Maho Beach. Same offer of any specific questions that Mike made above.

Please post about Mullet Bay beach !! We will be there in May 2018 on the Allure. We always walk from Mullet to Maho and have a burger and beer at Guy's. I'm already planning on buying whatever the ladies on the beach are selling so I sure hope that there is a beach !!

Regards,

Mike

We are on the Jewel, docking in St. Maarten on December 26. We would love to go to Orient Beach. If you learn of anywhere there we can go to, that would be great!

Renee

Visiting St. Maarten in January. Has anyone done the helmet dive shore excursion? Any thoughts? I have watched youtube of people and they have had their photo taken...does the company take photos for you to buy, or do you have to bring along a waterproof camera?