Reference books?

celoplyr

So now that I'm officially booked, I got my packet yesterday. In it had a list of reference books that they say I should take along.

Which books do you recommend? And do you recommend a physical book (which is what I prefer) or a kindle book?

Anyone got old copies they don't want that I can buy from you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think any reference books are extremely necessary when you're traveling with a knowledgeable expedition staff. Also, most expedition ships have a well-stocked library if there's something you want to look up. However, if you do want to peruse some things in advance...

I got a copy of this one on my first trip and found it extremely useful:

https://smile.amazon.com/Antarctica-Cruising-Guide-Antarctic-Peninsula/dp/1927249252

Since I'm not a birder or marine mammal expert, I appreciated having the color photos to help me with wildlife ID during my trips.

I also bought the Lonely Planet book before my first trip, but the standard Lonely Planet format doesn't work particularly well in a place without towns or infrastructure. I still chose to bring it along on my second trip, though, because it was nice to read about the next landing site, and it sometimes contained minor interesting details that weren't covered in the landing briefing. I also learned a lot from reading the history overview. Since you don't really need the normal help planning an itinerary or deciding where to go, a good option is to just buy a couple of the digital chapters to take along on a Kindle or smartphone. The "Southern Ocean" and "Antarctic Peninsula" cover everywhere you'll visit, and if you just want the background info, you can buy just the "Understanding Antarctica" chapter.

I don't think any reference books are extremely necessary when you're traveling with a knowledgeable expedition staff. Also, most expedition ships have a well-stocked library if there's something you want to look up. However, if you do want to peruse some things in advance...

I got a copy of this one on my first trip and found it extremely useful:

https://smile.amazon.com/Antarctica-Cruising-Guide-Antarctic-Peninsula/dp/1927249252

Since I'm not a birder or marine mammal expert, I appreciated having the color photos to help me with wildlife ID during my trips.

I also bought the Lonely Planet book before my first trip, but the standard Lonely Planet format doesn't work particularly well in a place without towns or infrastructure. I still chose to bring it along on my second trip, though, because it was nice to read about the next landing site, and it sometimes contained minor interesting details that weren't covered in the landing briefing. I also learned a lot from reading the history overview. Since you don't really need the normal help planning an itinerary or deciding where to go, a good option is to just buy a couple of the digital chapters to take along on a Kindle or smartphone. The "Southern Ocean" and "Antarctic Peninsula" cover everywhere you'll visit, and if you just want the background info, you can buy just the "Understanding Antarctica" chapter.

Excellent references but IMHO, I always think it’s a good idea to read and prepare before any trip. The more you learn ahead of time, the more you can absorb from the knowledgeable excursion or expedition staff. Besides, researching the history, culture, and environment of a destination is part of the fun of travel.

But again, great references and thoughts on Lonely Planet resources.

Russ

Excellent references but IMHO, I always think it’s a good idea to read and prepare before any trip. The more you learn ahead of time, the more you can absorb from the knowledgeable excursion or expedition staff. Besides, researching the history, culture, and environment of a destination is part of the fun of travel.

But again, great references and thoughts on Lonely Planet resources.

Russ

On my first trip, I actually wanted to do the opposite! I knew how uncertain everything was, and I'm normally an extremely detailed travel planner. I was worried that I would read about something and then be disappointed about missing it. So aside from figuring out the basic logistics of what to bring along, I chose not to read up about anywhere we might be headed until it was at least announced as Plan A by the expedition leader.

I do, however, agree that if you're on a trip that includes South Georgia, it's well worth reading up on the Shackleton expedition. And I'm glad I read the short guidebook history, so that I had a general context.

(I just realized that I may also have an advantage in prior Antarctic knowledge, given that I live a few km from the Fram polar exploration museum and am expected by local culture to have a working knowledge of the Amundsen expedition! ;))

On my first trip, I actually wanted to do the opposite! I knew how uncertain everything was, and I'm normally an extremely detailed travel planner. I was worried that I would read about something and then be disappointed about missing it. So aside from figuring out the basic logistics of what to bring along, I chose not to read up about anywhere we might be headed until it was at least announced as Plan A by the expedition leader.

I do, however, agree that if you're on a trip that includes South Georgia, it's well worth reading up on the Shackleton expedition. And I'm glad I read the short guidebook history, so that I had a general context.

(I just realized that I may also have an advantage in prior Antarctic knowledge, given that I live a few km from the Fram polar exploration museum and am expected by local culture to have a working knowledge of the Amundsen expedition! ;))

The Fram Museum was one of my highlights of Oslo. Beautiful city and a great country to cruise - we’ve been to 9 cities and many sites including Nord Cap!

Yes, your basic knowledge of Admundsen and Shackleton expeditions isn’t commonly known by other travelers. We would have to read to catch up.

If you want to read up on Shackleton and the Endurance expedition - forget Lansings version. He wasn't there. Read South by Shackleton himself which includes tonnes of excerpts from his teams diaries as well. The whole experienced detailed by those who were there.

If you want to shortcut it - the DVD starring Kenneth Branagh is very factual and they filmed it in the arctic to get the real icey feel.

But yes you will be on board with a lot of knowledgable expedition members who will fill out the history for you throughout the voyage.

No need for "homework" unless it's already a hobby. I was a Shackleton fan for 35 years before I did my first trip there. But over 4 trips I have come to appreciate the many other polar explorers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums