Norovirus on Ventura

Port out

Sad to report but there are many cases of the dreaded norovirus on the Ventura right now. Friends of our have contracted it and they are sooo scrupulously clean and careful, do the wash hand routine, even use tissue paper to open doors and lift buttons. Not sure what else we can do to protect ourselves. Apparently the last cruise had the norovirus as well.

Left out

We are on the xmas / new year Cruise on Thursday, we have been notified that they are doing a deep clean, so a later departure!, hopefully this will sort the problem out, we definitely don’t want ‘that’ over Xmas !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on the xmas / new year Cruise on Thursday, we have been notified that they are doing a deep clean, so a later departure!, hopefully this will sort the problem out, we definitely don’t want ‘that’ over Xmas !

What with this and the switch around of 2 ports and being tendered in Madeira and not berthed taking a lot of the shine of the cruise even before we start. Wishing all the people who have the virus well and hoping the ship is cleaned,although I understand the previous cruise was also blighted.

What with this and the switch around of 2 ports and being tendered in Madeira and not berthed taking a lot of the shine of the cruise even before we start. Wishing all the people who have the virus well and hoping the ship is cleaned,although I understand the previous cruise was also blighted.

Don't let it take the shine off. As long as you hadn't arranged to meet anyone, switching ports is nothing to worry about. I have tendered into Madeira and at least you land right in the Town rather than a long walk or bus ride in. I am sure they will be ultra-cautious on the deep clean as they won't want to spoil people's Christmas/New Year.

Don't let it take the shine off. As long as you hadn't arranged to meet anyone, switching ports is nothing to worry about. I have tendered into Madeira and at least you land right in the Town rather than a long walk or bus ride in. I am sure they will be ultra-cautious on the deep clean as they won't want to spoil people's Christmas/New Year.

I agree with Andrew, they won't want to spoil Christmas (and they won't want potential news headline like "P&O ruins Christmas").

Give P&O their due, they do act responsibly to contain Noro.

Have a wonderful time.

3000 passengers embark, chances are that one will be starting to feel nauseous with what is probably the virus. Hopefully the passenger will be sensible and not circulate around the ship and quarantine will keep it isolated. But what would most embarking passengers who don’t feel well when filling in the health check leaflet do. No one wants to be denied boarding at the check in desk.

David

Ventura had a ‘deep clean’ prior to the 9th December cruise - unfortunately it did not work and norovirus seems to have taken hold of the ship

Which means it was introduced by someone who joined the ship at the start of the 9th.

That’s were the problem lies.

we were on from the 9th and despite a deep clean before embarkation the cases increased towards the end.

While we were on the staff were cleaning constantly and we believe they were going to do another deep clean as we got off.

I think that a good number of people were on back to back's and remained on board for the current sailing.

So the way I see it is if a ship has some cases and unless everyone gets off and does not get back on, there is a chance the virus will stay on board.

I have to say I was surprised to see a thread about Noro on our sailing but none about the fact that we were hit full side on by 100 knots plus winds.

It was so bad we heavily listed over, the captain had to take drastic action and sail in to the winds to right us. Personally we were in our cabin and we had things slide off the work tops and a case slid off the wardrobe shelf. It was very scary, so much we heard that 100 or so passengers flow back from Gibraltar rather than sail through the Bay of Biscay again.

We also had to miss Ibiza due to more high winds and we could not dock.

Which means it was introduced by someone who joined the ship at the start of the 9th.

Yes it could be Dai, but how Deep was the Clean bearing in mind it was on the previous cruise as well.

I recall a number of years ago joining Oceana in Miami and all back to backers and those of us flying in, were put up in a hotel overnight while the ship was totally Deep Cleaned before we were allowed to join the ship the following day.

The US Port Authorities, unlike the UK Port Authorities check and recheck that the virus has been eradicated before passengers are allowed to embark.

Unfortunately we have to rely on that short period between disembarkation and embarkation, say 5 hours, for all the normal turnaround duties to be completed Plus THE Deep Clean. Like you I love the staff but they can only do so much in such a short timescale.

Bal

I think you are right daiB.

I wonder though because the crew have to do the deep clean if the recurring outbreaks might be attributed to the crew who are exposed to noro all the time.

3000 passengers embark, chances are that one will be starting to feel nauseous with what is probably the virus. Hopefully the passenger will be sensible and not circulate around the ship and quarantine will keep it isolated. But what would most embarking passengers who don’t feel well when filling in the health check leaflet do. No one wants to be denied boarding at the check in desk.

David

According to NHS England Norovirus sufferers can be contagious before symptoms appear so the health screening questionnaire is not going to stop it getting aboard.

How are things on Ventura now? Was it sorted?

Was on Ventura over Christmas & new year. Sad to say it was as bad as ever. Food in self service area was served to you by staff. Tea & coffee was cordoned off and also served to you. This was not done from the start of the cruise which considering there was problems on previous cruise we felt that this would have contributed to it. Not sure there was ever a deep clean before we boarded ship. Been on Ventura before & although we enjoyed the cruise felt it was not as clean in public areas as it should be. Ventura will Limp into its refit in March. Maybe 5 years between refit’s is to long.

Was on Ventura over Christmas & new year. Sad to say it was as bad as ever. Food in self service area was served to you by staff. Tea & coffee was cordoned off and also served to you. This was not done from the start of the cruise which considering there was problems on previous cruise we felt that this would have contributed to it. Not sure there was ever a deep clean before we boarded ship. Been on Ventura before & although we enjoyed the cruise felt it was not as clean in public areas as it should be. Ventura will Limp into its refit in March. Maybe 5 years between refit’s is to long.

A refit will not solve the problem because if a passenger unwittingly (or knowingly) brings it onboard, others will be affected by it. It can never be prevented but good hygiene practices will reduce the chance of an individual being affected.

A refit will not solve the problem because if a passenger unwittingly (or knowingly) brings it onboard, others will be affected by it. It can never be prevented but good hygiene practices will reduce the chance of an individual being affected.
And still I saw people not washing hands before leaving the public toilets onboard Britannia over December. Good hygiene is paramount on cruises and resorts [emoji40]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Have to say that in August on Ventura we were surprised that there was no one checking on hand washing at the entrance to the buffet area or any of the speciality restaurants at all. It is the first time that we have seen this lack of checking on any cruise / cruiseline we have been on.

I.e. no obvious reminders in the Epicurean, the Glass House, Sindhu's and buffet by the entrance .... in fact, I can't remember any thing at all in most of these areas that stood out as a 'you need to use me before entering'.

Have to say that in August on Ventura we were surprised that there was no one checking on hand washing at the entrance to the buffet area or any of the speciality restaurants at all. It is the first time that we have seen this lack of checking on any cruise / cruiseline we have been on.

I.e. no obvious reminders in the Epicurean, the Glass House, Sindhu's and buffet by the entrance .... in fact, I can't remember any thing at all in most of these areas that stood out as a 'you need to use me before entering'.

On P&O the hand gel is normally administered as you collect your tray and cutlery, I will be checking if this is still the case in 4 weeks time.

On P&O the hand gel is normally administered as you collect your tray and cutlery, I will be checking if this is still the case in 4 weeks time.

Certainly wasn't the case 4 weeks ago on Arcadia. Just dispensers as you entered the buffet.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app