advice needed from a seasoned cruiser about travel insurance

goodluckman66

Taking my first cruise on Celebrity Constellation 15 day re positioning cruise to Rome. I do not know how to buy a cruise but I think this is a good price $2500 inside cabin deck 8 which includes travel insurance for $119.00 I was once told that I can get better coverage with a insurance company other than the cruise line. Any suggestions who I might contact? I really did not how to select a cabin other than trying to be mid-ship.

Any other helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

goodluckman66

$2500, is this per person, for an inside? I so sounds like a high price to me. Must be for 2 for it to be a good deal.

I usually book mini suite or balcony cabins. Just did a TA from Barcelona to Florida in October... had a mini suite for about $2000 per person.

Ref you question on insurance, I don't try to buy insurance for a trip per say, I buy an annual plan to cover emergency health and or evacuation - we are seniors, has a few other benefits... buy business traveler insurance from Travel Guard for $518 a year for 2 persons. Covers travel related benefits if more than 100 miles away from home over a year up to limits of policy.

If you are flying to/from your destination, you should get trip insurance that covers your entire trip. The insurance you got may only cover the cruise itself, so it’s worth checking. Of course, your credit card may also provide coverage for the flight portion, but again, you should check.

Insurance like everything else has to be compared to see if it's a good deal.

Medical/hospitalization is the usual reason. More expensive policies will cover ANY REASON

Pre-existing conditions coverage

What is the actual $ amount is the cap medical/evacuation/loss

Companies usually offer 3-4 types of policies so comparison only takes a couple of minutes

Are you taking the repositioning cruise from Abu Dabi to Rome in 2019? Have you considered the expense of your flights? No harm in booking this, if that is what you want, but if you are coming from the USA, it seems like quite an adventure for your first cruise. How about a transatlantic cruise first?

Thanks for your reply. I am coming from Thailand and it is only 5 hours from Bangkok to Abu Dhabi that is ok. But Rome back to Bangkok is 16 to 20 hours and quite expensive. I have looked around in my neck of the woods to save such a long flight but have not found anything that resembles Italy or Greece...ha ha. I am open to suggestions

Celebrity insurance:

1. Could be limited in coverages for trip segments /costs not booked with Celebrity (like air, pre/ post hotel)

2. Generally, cruise line insurance is more expensive but depends on various factors (but the cruise line wont deny insurance to anyone, particularly the very aged)

3. Cruise line insurance coverages are usually lower than going stand alone travel insurance company

We shop on the comparison websites mentioned but buy directly from the travel insurance provider because if you have a claim you will be working directly with the provider. Our experience with GENERALI Travel Insurance (used to be CSA http://www.generalitravelinsurance.com) is good. THeir medical & evac coverages are the highest we found. The pre-existing conditions are covered up to final deposit. They paid our claim and worked with our health insurance provider directly to figure out who was primary/secondary--we did not have to get involved.

Taking my first cruise on Celebrity Constellation 15 day re positioning cruise to Rome. I do not know how to buy a cruise but I think this is a good price $2500 inside cabin deck 8 which includes travel insurance for $119.00 I was once told that I can get better coverage with a insurance company other than the cruise line. Any suggestions who I might contact? I really did not how to select a cabin other than trying to be mid-ship.

Any other helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

goodluckman66

I get our insurance through our credit card company.

If you are an inexperienced cruiser, why not drop into a local TA that specializes in cruises and pick their brain. A good TA can be very helpful in many respects.They can give you direct answers based on your particular needs. Even if you decide not to purchase through them, they might give you lots of good suggestions.

I agree that you will likely find cheaper insurance elsewhere, but especially considering that you are now in Thailand, you situation is different from the usual travel route and a local TA might have some excellent suggestions. They may even favour a different cruise that benefits single travellers. In any case, you will have fun asking and learning more.

Ask they TA how many cruises they have been on. If they have never cruised before, go elsewhere. :)