Care of Valuables when Ashore

LookinForSunshine

You don't necessarily need to take all those things. We take cruise card and drivers license (for photo ID), and maybe a few dollars. If we're going into the water, we put the $ in a Ziploc, then use DH's Velcro pocket, or a watertight belt.

I should always avoid taking passports ashore unless specifically required under local regulations, the requirement is normally published in the ship's daily newsletter. Photo ID on a plastic (waterproof) format such as a Driving Licence, is useful as it ties your appearance to the name which is repeated on your cruise card which does not have a photo other than the embedded image which the crew can see when you re-board. The only time you might be asked for this (assuming you do not try to hire a car) is to regain admission to the cruise terminal where the authorities require this to filter out local criminals etc. Younger family members identity may be vouched for by the parents who hold the photo ID. I have never experienced problems, cruise cards plus peoples accents indicate a lot to security personnel.

Regards John

My wife and I will be cruising in the Eastern Caribbean. Looking for ideas for carrying passports, credit cards phones. etc while ashore, especially when participating in water activities.

Why ever would you take a passport off the ship (unless required by local govt. law)????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First recommendation is leave your passport locked on the ship.

It is not needed in any Caribbean ports and the likelihood of losing it or having it stolen is far greater then the benefit of having it.

Just bring what you need and no more. For example one credit card and not all of them, some money and not all of them and your cell phone. Never leave anything unattended.

Keith

My wife and I will be cruising in the Eastern Caribbean. Looking for ideas for carrying passports, credit cards phones. etc while ashore, especially when participating in water activities.

Check out waterproof water wallets on Amazon.

Your ship's card, credit card and yes, even cash..can get wet. Water won't hurt them at all. Put them in hubby's velcroed pocket on his swim trunks. (Another good reason NOT to wear a speedo!) If you're on an excursion boat, you can leave your stuff IN the boat. If you're at the beach, no one wants your tee shirt or flip flops.

We bought specialty waterproof pouches from Amazon and from our local sports store, but none were absolutely watertight or exactly what we were looking for. Everything fit nicely in a small zipper baggie (yes really) and went in my husband's velcro pocket of his swim trunks. Easy peasy.

If you are concerned, and there may be a port of two where you just feel uneasy, you can take turns swimming in the ocean or pool. We have done that for years and it works for us.

I found the Witz Surf Safe case to be the best brand to carry your ships card, ID and a credit card/cash in a waterproof case. I always have it with me - around my neck/under my shirt or in my swim trunks at the beach

As everyone else stated, leave the passport in the safe