Vigie Beach

donr

Hi all,

We will be in St. Lucia on the Celebrity Summit on Fri Dec 8, 4 more ships are in port, so what's the jury on Vigie beach with that many ships in port? These boards are very confusing, some people say the place is empty, others say it's packed, others say their are no amenities there, others say bar, concession stand etc. Some say it's an easy walk, others say it's an hour (not easy in my book). Does anybody know from first hand experience what's available there? Not from what you've read or heard, but from first hand experience, a class one statement is what I'm looking for.

PS:

Don's class of statements definition::D

• class 1 - absolutely true from first hand knowledge or eyes on witness
  • class 2 - probably true, from an excellent and trusted source
  • class 3 - maybe true, probably not, an unverifiable rumor
  • class 4 - a wild ass guess
  • class 5 - an out and out lie

There were two ships in port today. We were by Vigie at about 12:15 today to have a drink and snack before heading further up north for some shopping.

There were maybe 35-45 visitors around, between those in the water, on the beach or at the Boardwalk.. There were likely more than another 100+ chairs available beyond those that were set up or already in use.. The beach is more than a mile long, it's hard to be crowded! I can't imagine a review saying it's crowded.. But it's not isolated and deserted either..

The Boardwalk, which is down near the airport entrance, has 5 or 6 restaurants/bars that serve local meals, snack foods, and drinks. There's a mix of tables, bar seating, shared seating.. There's two bathrooms, each with a couple stalls and cost $1ECD to help keep them stocked and clean. There's showers labeled but haven't used them so can't comment.

The walk is anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour depending on how quickly you walk and which pier you're at, it's flat and easy the whole way. If the airport wasn't in the way, it'd be 10 minutes! Cab is $10 one way.

With 4 ships it will be busier - the food service may take a little longer, but there's plenty of long stretch of beach to enjoy, plenty of natural shade all along the beach.. No worries.

Hope that helps answer some questions.

Thanks for that response, we will be going there based on what you wrote. How was the cab situation at the cruise terminal? I have read about a very nasty woman who runs the thing and makes for an unpleasant experience. Did you experience or observe that?

Thanks for that response, we will be going there based on what you wrote. How was the cab situation at the cruise terminal? I have read about a very nasty woman who runs the thing and makes for an unpleasant experience. Did you experience or observe that?

As you probably noted, I live here, hence the stopping by for a drink and snack before heading north for a shopping trip yesterday..

We have been through the terminals lots, and have never encountered a "nasty women who runs the thing"... At Pointe Seraphine, the single story dock area, just head out the shops, and on tour left if the taxi stand - uniformed licensed taxi operators, happy to take you over. Plenty of drivers at the beach to return you, or arrange for your original driver to pick you up at specific time.

At La Place Caranage, the two story shop area dock, you can find taxi operators either through the info desk, or head eight outside and ask the drivers outside. No taxi stand there, as there's no parking lot or spot for it, but the drivers are eight nearby and easily will take you over.

Enjoy.

I went to Vigie two weeks ago, just stayed for an hour and a bit to go for a swim and have a beer.

There was no one else in the beach section in front of the boardwalk, but just past it there were locals swimming around. We were the only ship in that day.

We walked from the ship (we were docked in the one further away) and

it took us 35 minutes to get to the boardwalk area.

Not a scenic walk by any means until you get to the beach. The stretch of beach from Rendezvous Resort to the Boardwalk is nice, lots of shade.. had a couple people try and force things into my hand as "gifts"

Rodney Bay... Does it have the beautiful blue water? Anyone have photos that were taken after the hurricanes?

St Lucia suffered no damages from the hurricanes several months ago. We're quite a ways south. Any photos you find of Reduit Beach in Rodney Bay or Vigie Beach or Jalousie Beach down by Pitons, etc are still what they look like.

Reduit Beach has clear waters, with some darker turquoise colors due to both depth and the natural tan sand - St Lucia is a volcanic island, our natural sand is light tan to black all around the island. As we all know, darker colors don't reflect light as well thus making the waters look darker than natural white sand.. It's crystal clear and lovely, but colors come through darker due to the depth as you get out from the coast, and sand colors..

Enjoy, whichever beach you choose..

• 1 month later...
As you probably noted, I live here, hence the stopping by for a drink and snack before heading north for a shopping trip yesterday..

Reedprincess, I am so happy to talk to someone who knows the area. I'm visiting on a cruise in March. Our group of 4 also wants to see beaches and snorkel, so we want a calm beach without big waves. We also have thought about renting a car and touring around ourselves. Are there rental car agencies at the port, and if so, which ones? Also, is driving around the island doable in the time we're in port (7am-4pm). Is the island easy to navigate? If so, which are your top beaches that you would suggest us seeing and are they open to the public? Thank you in advance for your advice.

Reedprincess, I am so happy to talk to someone who knows the area. I'm visiting on a cruise in March. Our group of 4 also wants to see beaches and snorkel, so we want a calm beach without big waves. We also have thought about renting a car and touring around ourselves. Are there rental car agencies at the port, and if so, which ones? Also, is driving around the island doable in the time we're in port (7am-4pm). Is the island easy to navigate? If so, which are your top beaches that you would suggest us seeing and are they open to the public? Thank you in advance for your advice.

All beaches are public in St Lucia, no worries there.

Best snorkeking is in the southwest, more than an hour drive from the port - along narrow winding mountainous roads. Not reallt recommended to rent a car in your limited time unless you're a quite confident driver, familiar with driving on the left with right hand drive vehicles, and at ease with narrow winding roads...

Easier and more comfortable to hire a driver from the port and let them do the driving while you sit back and relax..

If you definitely want to rent a car, check Driva-A-matic, Cool Breeze, Envirite, etc. There's no rental agencies at the ports, but all of them will drop off and pick up a rental from the port. You'll need a temporary driver's license, which the rental agency will furnish also..around $26USD per license. rental will run around $75-150 depending on type if vehicle.

Anse Chastenet, Soufriere beachfront, Jalousie beach all excellent for snorkeling. Leave yourself plenty of time on your return - easily 1.5 hours for the drive back. There's only one road, and it can be busy if there's several ships in port..

Alternatively, consider a snorkeling tour. Spencer Ambrose, Mystic Man, etc all offer choices of tours - includes lunch and drinks usually, rough t trip transfers - by boat for ease of access, beautiful views, and faster trip between spots....

All beaches are public in St Lucia, no worries there.

Best snorkeking is in the southwest, more than an hour drive from the port - along narrow winding mountainous roads. Not reallt recommended to rent a car in your limited time unless you're a quite confident driver, familiar with driving on the left with right hand drive vehicles, and at ease with narrow winding roads...

Easier and more comfortable to hire a driver from the port and let them do the driving while you sit back and relax..

If you definitely want to rent a car, check Driva-A-matic, Cool Breeze, Envirite, etc. There's no rental agencies at the ports, but all of them will drop off and pick up a rental from the port. You'll need a temporary driver's license, which the rental agency will furnish also..around $26USD per license. rental will run around $75-150 depending on type if vehicle.

Anse Chastenet, Soufriere beachfront, Jalousie beach all excellent for snorkeling. Leave yourself plenty of time on your return - easily 1.5 hours for the drive back. There's only one road, and it can be busy if there's several ships in port..

Alternatively, consider a snorkeling tour. Spencer Ambrose, Mystic Man, etc all offer choices of tours - includes lunch and drinks usually, rough t trip transfers - by boat for ease of access, beautiful views, and faster trip between spots....

Thank you, I found some threads from 2014, and not too many recommend renting. I think we may stick with a local tour. Much thanks!