Flying Home - HELP!

Voyager_4

Hi everyone,

My friend and I are taking our first ever cruise December 2-9th on the Carnival Glory. We want to get home to Columbus, Ohio as soon as possible after the ship gets back into port Miami.

There is a noon flight leaving Ft. Lauderdale on December 9th...would it be unreasonable to expect to make this flight? Is there a way to be in the 'first-off-the-boat' group?

I'd love any advice as we're totally new to this! Thanks everyone :)

You can probably make it but,

what's your backup plan. Also, we don't know your airline.

Is this the only flight of the day? If they have more than 1 flight, what's their standby policy to catch the next flight? Are their next flights full and you have to spend the night? You have the cash for meals and hotels?

First off the "SHIP"? Don't leave luggage out on last night. You can do "Self Assist" and carry off all of your own luggage. You have to be able to do this with zero assistance from crew.

You're 3 months away and already stressing. What's your stress level going to be during your cruise? Especially the night before.

Hi everyone,

My friend and I are taking our first ever cruise December 2-9th on the Carnival Glory. We want to get home to Columbus, Ohio as soon as possible after the ship gets back into port Miami.

There is a noon flight leaving Ft. Lauderdale on December 9th...would it be unreasonable to expect to make this flight? Is there a way to be in the 'first-off-the-boat' group?

You should have plenty of time. Opt for "Self Assist" and walk off with your bags in the morning. Remember that you may have to use the stairs!.

KLfrodo, I asked this question 3 months before the trip because I've never been on a cruise before and am trying to arrange my flight. I'm a little dissapointed that you felt the need to 'check' my stress level and make a jab at my use of the word 'boat.' Sorry I asked this question here, looking for answers not judgement.

I hope so, I'm hearing horror stories about customs taking forever...we just didn't want to be stuck in the airport all day waiting for our flight.

I am not sure what you mean by "customs". If you are just taking a domestic flight, there is no customs and immigration at the airport. You just have to get through security. Is that what you are talking about?

Noon is fine...you will most likely be off the ship before 10am....probably sooner. The airport is a 20 min cab ride. No worries...that's the recommended time for flights out.

Actually the OP said they were coming into Miami and wanted to fly out of Ft Lauderdale. That's more then a 20 min cab ride.

I'm sure the OP also meant immigration getting off the ship, not at the airport.

KLfrodo, I asked this question 3 months before the trip because I've never been on a cruise before and am trying to arrange my flight. I'm a little dissapointed that you felt the need to 'check' my stress level and make a jab at my use of the word 'boat.' Sorry I asked this question here, looking for answers not judgement.

Don't be so testy. I meant no malice in my comments. Regarding stress,,,,, it is what it is. If you are concern about missing a flight 3 months prior to the flight,,,,, you'll be through the roof 2 days before your cruise ends. Been there, done that. Did not enjoy my last 2 days of the cruise due to something that was self inflicted. Trying to help others so they don't have to experience it.

However, it's a SHIP. The boats are those thingys you get into when the ship is sinking.:D

Have you checked to see how many ships are disembarking in Port Everglades that day? That will give you an idea how busy the FLL airport will be. The security lines can be huge when there are a lot of ships shufflings thousands of cruisers to the airports.

Actually the OP said they were coming into Miami and wanted to fly out of Ft Lauderdale. That's more then a 20 min cab ride.

I'm sure the OP also meant immigration getting off the ship, not at the airport.

Depending upon traffic, it's more like 45 minutes from Port of Miami to FLL airport.

Ft Lauderdale airport on Sat and Sun are just a zoo. the zoo pretty much ends by 2:30 PM and it is positively dead by 5:30PM. Just keep in mind that your hangup might be getting that taxi. My DD lives in FLL area and so we are in that airport several times a year. It is fairly efficient but I have experienced at least 2 taxi "actions". Under best of circumstances getting a taxi at the port or the airport is not always easy. What folks are talking about taking a long time is that most of the ships show up with their little cities of 3 -4 thousand folks just about the same time. One ship gets official welcome and officers (immigration US dept Agriculture etc) and then the next and the next. The schedule is not known until day of. If you are the last ship to be received and processed could be a few minor delays waiting for luggage and to be let off ship. I think I would look for afternoon though at 3 months out those "perfect timing" seats might be gone. Do the best you can and think briefly of Plan B as OP said.

If you are on a flight that is within the Princess transfer time slots that can often be easier than cabbing. Also check out if your airline has transfer from the ship to the airport (have some name I can't think of).

If luggage already shipped to airport you hop on bus and get there pretty quickly (at least 40 mins.). Lots of options. Knock them off and pick the best one for you and your friend. You will have a blast. There is NO cruise like your first one! Best thing ever.

Would you consider spending the night in FLL and then catching an early flight back to Columbus the next morning? You would then extend your vacation another day. When I take a cruise out of FLL (and Miami would be included), I spend a night in FLL after the cruise and catch the 6 a.m. flight back to the left coast.

If you are on a flight that is within the Princess transfer time slots that can often be easier than cabbing. Also check out if your airline has transfer from the ship to the airport (have some name I can't think of).

If luggage already shipped to airport you hop on bus and get there pretty quickly (at least 40 mins.). Lots of options. Knock them off and pick the best one for you and your friend. You will have a blast. There is NO cruise like your first one! Best thing ever.

The OP is on Carnival out of Miami. I doubt the airline will transfer from Miami port to FLL.

OP

Since you are getting off the ship in Miami and flying out of Ft Lauderdale, I would try to book a flight around 2 PM.

Ft Lauderdale airport can be zoo!! They often have long lines to get through security.

Check out www.cruisetimetables.com to see how many ships will be in Ft Lauderdale the day you are to fly from there.

I would recommend you book the later flight, but there is a good probability of making the noon one.

Don't do a cab, the cost is quite high. Instead, book a shuttle for about $15 per person through SAS or one of the others recommended on the Florida departures board.

I would recommend you book the later flight, but there is a good probability of making the noon one.

Don't do a cab, the cost is quite high. Instead, book a shuttle for about $15 per person through SAS or one of the others recommended on the Florida departures board.

I agree. If you can book a flight after noon, then you should be golden. You can get an Airport Transfer through Carnival on their website. It was $30 when I went last year.

Hi everyone,

Our cruise got back to Miami on schedule, we got off by our called number and were in the Ft Lauderdale airport by 10:30am. Unless something unusual happens you should make it OK.

Archived