Opinion: Free UNLIMITED DRINKS! not really “free”

The Admiral

Actually, I get the OP.

I know, I know, the drink package IS a value for folks who like to drink. But for someone new to NCL, and they think the free drink package is actually FREE, it is a bit of a shock. AND, I might add, it FEELS like a bait and switch, when in reality it really isn't. It is rather misleading though. That is what always stuck in my craw.

And yes, this horse has been beaten pretty badly. Usually when someone complains, they really get beaten up too ... almost as bad as that dead horse. They are told "just don't choose that perk, then. And while you're at it, shut up and quit complaining"

I'd just like to cut the OP some slack. My two cents.

Just had a thought as well...

If NCL really is passing on the entire UBP gratuities...

Let’s assume on average at least 50% of people have the UBP as a perk now so on a ship like Norwegian Epic you would have $17.80 x 2100 which equals $37 380 EVERY DAY in UBP tips alone.

I would say that 100 Bar staff is a pretty accurate and generous number for a ship that size so divide by a 100 and you have each member getting $373.80 in UBP gratuities every single day, even if there was 150 bartenders it is still $249.20 every day for every bar tender.

That is UBP gratuities alone, not including individual drinks purchase gratuities or wages.

Which brings me to-

A- NCL bartenders are better paid than most doctors.

B- NCL is putting the money in their back pocket and telling you it is a gratuity.

I think I’m more inclined to believe option B. ;):cool:

I ain’t complaining, I think it is a fantastic perk regardless. I just don’t think the numbers add up :p

Actually, I get the OP.

I know, I know, the drink package IS a value for folks who like to drink. But for someone new to NCL, and they think the free drink package is actually FREE, it is a bit of a shock. AND, I might add, it FEELS like a bait and switch, when in reality it really isn't. It is rather misleading though. That is what always stuck in my craw.

And yes, this horse has been beaten pretty badly. Usually when someone complains, they really get beaten up too ... almost as bad as that dead horse. They are told "just don't choose that perk, then. And while you're at it, shut up and quit complaining"

I'd just like to cut the OP some slack. My two cents.

If you win a free meal somewhere - still have to tip.

If you win a free car on Oprah - still have to pay the taxes.

I have won trips - had to pay port charges and airport fees sometimes.

Bottom line: Read the terms and conditions and decide if you find VALUE!

No one is being forced. There is no bait and switch. Just an offer. It is optional.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let’s assume on average at least 50% of people have the UBP as a perk now so on a ship like Norwegian Epic you would have $17.80 x 2100 which equals $37 380 EVERY DAY in UBP tips alone.

I would say that 100 Bar staff is a pretty accurate and generous number for a ship that size so divide by a 100 and you have each member getting $373.80 in UBP gratuities every single day, even if there was 150 bartenders it is still $249.20 every day for every bar tender.

That is UBP gratuities alone, not including individual drinks purchase gratuities or wages.

Which brings me to-

B- NCL is putting the money in their back pocket and telling you it is a gratuity.

I ain’t complaining, I think it is a fantastic perk regardless. I just don’t think the numbers add up :p

This is my basic point too. It’s not gratuity if the people doing the pouring and serving get a small fraction of the money. It’s essentially part of the cost of the plan masquerading as gratuity.

This is my basic point too. It’s not gratuity if the people doing the pouring and serving get a small fraction of the money. It’s essentially part of the cost of the plan masquerading as gratuity.

If you buy an individual drink, you will pay a 20% service charge.

If you buy the UBP, you will pay a 20% service charge.

If you get the UBP as a promo, you will pay a 20% service charge.

In all 3 cases, you have no idea how much the bartender keeps. Just enjoy your drink and don't worry about it.

I'm pretty sure that somebody must have brought this idea up already, but since it would take days to read all the threads on this subject and everybody seems to repeat themselves anyway:

If the choice is simply between a) accepting the promotion, paying the $249 and b) paying for the drinks, then indeed the idea that 2 drinks a day is the break even point is correct.

The choice for most people though, is between a) taking the promotion and b) taking a different promotion and paying for the drinks. If I am already planning on having the internet package and would have to pay for it if I took the UBP then the cost of the internet package enters the equation.

This thread has driven me to drink ! lol just kidding- Almost done with my rum and coke.

I got grandfathered in my next 2 cruises with a $90 service charge- seems like a good deal for me as even if I have just 10 drinks it will cover it- the nice part is not being on the meter and worrying about the cost (as long as it is under $15 of course)

I am totally of course tipping my room steward as usual- but am conflicted- should I ever tip the sever (ex. if I am going to one or two people thw whole week forexample).

It has become a grey area with gratuites. Isn't my ship fare paying the salaries? I don't know of any evidence of the grautiites being allocated per employee and what method would they use?

I was going to book the Encore online and the computer wanted to add $249.20 to my unlimited drinks package as a service charge. there is no way in my wife and I are going to drink enough drinks that we would spend $249.00 in tips for drinks alone!

In my personal opinion They are being totally unreasonable, assuming I spend $12 per drink which is not the case as soft drinks and house drinks are much cheaper at 18% tip that’s $2.16 tip per drink that means that based on their $249.00 drinks service charge I would have to have 115 drinks.....not gonna happen they should stop with this free at sea promotion it’s really not free in my opinion! FREE DRINKS WOULD BE FREE DRINKS AND THEY PICK UP THE SERVICE CHARGE AS WELL - that’s what free means.

Reminds me of the old TV commercials where some salesperson offers you a free product and say it’s FREE!!! Plus $11.95 shipping and handling lol... and that’s probably what the item is worth to begin with

I know I don’t have to choose the unlimited drinks package if I don’t drink a lot but it’s the way they stick the service charge based on their estimate of what I’ll drink that aggravated me.

So buyer beware - calculate on average what you actuallly drink on vacation it’s probably cheaper to pay for your drinks and tip as you go if you only drink a glass of wine with dinner or lunch for example.

Also what do they do with the left over tips if you don’t drink as much as they Estimated? do they refund it because they overestimated the tip??? Lol I’m sure they don’t. Remember the proposed in the online summary in my case of $249 was not for the package (if it was theN Yes it would be a good deal if you’re a heavy drinker) the drinks package was free the $249 was to tip the bar staff that’s why it doesn’t add up in my mind.

I also called NCL to clarify and the booking agent confirmed that the $249.20 service charge I was seeing is in addition to the regular service charge for waiter room attendant etc...they tried to reason with me that if I just had 4 drinks per day without the package I’d spend more than the $249.20 service charge, that may be true, don’t know, but then say it’s a reduced savings drink package it’s not really free! Maybe I’m in the minority in my feeling in this but thought I’d share my thoughts.

Think of it this way. We are taking a 14 day cruise, cost the 2 of us just under $400 for the free drink package which is the service charge. It breaks down to just about $12 a day per peron which is less than 1 drink cost. So, for us, it is a great deal! We like to have drinks before dinner, and usually a couple of glasses of wine with dinner so it is saving us a great amount.

Which brings me to-

The fee is a service charge, NOT a gratuity. NCL does not claim that any of it goes to the bar staff. NCL uses a different salary structure than people believe. The service charges are not a large part of an employees's salary.

I was going to book the Encore online and the computer wanted to add $249.20 to my unlimited drinks package as a service charge. there is no way in my wife and I are going to drink enough drinks that we would spend $249.00 in tips for drinks alone!

In my personal opinion They are being totally unreasonable, assuming I spend $12 per drink which is not the case as soft drinks and house drinks are much cheaper at 18% tip that’s $2.16 tip per drink that means that based on their $249.00 drinks service charge I would have to have 115 drinks.....not gonna happen they should stop with this free at sea promotion it’s really not free in my opinion! FREE DRINKS WOULD BE FREE DRINKS AND THEY PICK UP THE SERVICE CHARGE AS WELL - that’s what free means.

Reminds me of the old TV commercials where some salesperson offers you a free product and say it’s FREE!!! Plus $11.95 shipping and handling lol... and that’s probably what the item is worth to begin with

I know I don’t have to choose the unlimited drinks package if I don’t drink a lot but it’s the way they stick the service charge based on their estimate of what I’ll drink that aggravated me.

So buyer beware - calculate on average what you actuallly drink on vacation it’s probably cheaper to pay for your drinks and tip as you go if you only drink a glass of wine with dinner or lunch for example.

Yes exactly right . And that's the way it is .

Not including fancy coffees and water in their Ultimate Drink Package makes

it far far less then ultimate anything .

It really is quite simple. Don't sign up for the UBP and you won't be charged the tips charge. Same goes for the Specialty dining. But leave the rest of us alone and Quit your bitchin!!!

Then again bitching about such Crap seems to be a form of therapy for some. I do not wish to interfere with their treatment, so bitch away, just don't expect me to take it seriously.

The fee is a service charge, NOT a gratuity. NCL does not claim that any of it goes to the bar staff. NCL uses a different salary structure than people believe. The service charges are not a large part of an employees's salary.

Ha! I knew it. The service charge is divorced from gratuity. So, if I’m not paying gratuity, how exactly is a service charge anything other than profit taking by NCL? God knows the drink plan cost/day/person should more than cover NCL’s employee, alcohol, and overhead charges. Also, let’s stop implying people who balk at paying these charges are somehow stiffing poorly paid employees. The service charge isn’t a tip and isn’t going to the servers/bartenders.

Also, let’s stop implying people who balk at paying these charges are somehow stiffing poorly paid employees. The service charge isn’t a tip and isn’t going to the servers/bartenders.

For drinks, the service charge can't be avoided.

Pay for drinks a la carte?...you'll pay a 20% service charge.

Buy the UBP?...you'll pay a 20% service charge.

Get the UBP promo?...you'll pay a 20% service charge.

Not sure I understand and certainly don’t care what NCL calls the gratuity/fee/service charge.....whatever for their UBP. They can call it whatever they want.

Further, I don’t care if the charge goes to the servers, the bartenders, the company, or they toss the dollars overboard. None of my business. I would imagine if the servers and bartenders didn’t want to work for NCL, they wouldn’t continue signing consecutive contracts.

I think the UBP is a great deal. Why this fuss over semantics matters to anyone confounds me.