Megan’s bay

NJEMT29

We will be is St Thomas in July And I really don’t want to pay the full price for an excursion to Megans Bay just for a ride. Is there a cost to get onto the beach how much a cab would cost Round trip per person and do they have a snack bar and bathrooms at Megans Bay thank you

We shared a van and it stopped at Megans bay on the way to a more local beach we went to. Seems like Megans bay entreance fee was around $5 pp?

The beach we went to was free, but there was a muder maybe 10 years ago out on the street if that bothers you, but not at the beach.

Seems like cab fare was maybe $20 to Megans and $27 to the beach we went to. Im pretty sure there will be food, and there was snorkel rental where we went with dog biscuits. Dont put them down the top of your swim suit lol. The girl i went with did and the fish attached her breasts and she absolutely freaked out.

I don't know the latest taxi rate from the cruise port to Megan's Bay, but I can tell you there is a large covered Tiki-type bar at Megan's Bay. When I visited there, it rained that afternoon, and we spent that afternoon under the covered bar enjoying cocktails. In spite of the rain, we thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon at Megan's Bay. And by the time we got back to the ship, the sun was shining. It was just a typical tropical type afternoon shower.

That being said, be aware the road from the port to MB is a narrow, winding road up a very steep incline. I had to close my eyes! It was a scary ride.

I hope you enjoy your stay in St. Thomas. It is a beautiful island with great beaches.

I don't know the latest taxi rate from the cruise port to Megan's Bay, but I can tell you there is a large covered Tiki-type bar at Megan's Bay. When I visited there, it rained that afternoon, and we spent that afternoon under the covered bar enjoying cocktails. In spite of the rain, we thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon at Megan's Bay. And by the time we got back to the ship, the sun was shining. It was just a typical tropical type afternoon shower.

That being said, be aware the road from the port to MB is a narrow, winding road up a very steep incline. I had to close my eyes! It was a scary ride.

I hope you enjoy your stay in St. Thomas. It is a beautiful island with great beaches.

lol I didnt think the cab ride that harrowing, but we did some excursion on Princess that included going to tip top (which I read burned down, dont know if rebuilt). the girl i was with freaked about hugging those tight roads to the top of the highest look out on the island. Since you drove on the wrong side of the road, and we were in some open trolley thing where you could look straight down ... I liked it, but the girl I was with never cruised with me again.

We just went to the beach after the excursion we booked so we couldnt spend more than a couple of hours and snorkel where we went.

Last trip we were one of the first off the ship and shared a cab/van with 3 young girls to Megans bay. It wasn’t very expensive, sorry don’t remember how much. They dropped us off before the beach was officially open and they charge, so we did save an entrance fee. It was nice and quiet first thing.

We were at Magens Bay just last Tuesday. There are plenty of open cab (safari style) trucks outside the ship and at Magens, the cost is $8.00 per person each way. They will squeeze in as many people as possible and wait until full. About 15 min ride over steep mountain road with amazing vistas.

There is an additional $5.00 per person entrance fee. So, bottom line cost is $21 per person.

However, there are some issues (and costs) with Magens bay that you need to consider, especially traveling in July.

If you want to relax with some protection from the sun you need to rent chairs and umbrella and incur that additional cost.

There is hardly any shade on the beach due to last season storm, they have replanted some small palms which will take years to grow and provide any shade.

When we were there last week there were 2 ships at port, not an extreme high load but the beach was crowded and the rental station ran out of umbrellas! They only had chairs for rent at 2 for $25. You should also consider other beach options, most have no entrance fees and cheaper rentals, we always enjoyed Coki for the snorkeling but I don't know the current condition after the unfortunate storm.

MAGENS Bay is part of a territorial park system (along with Smith Bay/Lindqvist). They have an entry fee to pay for maintenance, life guards, etc.There are showers, rest rooms, food and drinks available. And yes, there are umbrellas for shade since the storms.

COKI is the beach where some vendors try to sell dog biscuits. PLEASE resist this urge. Dog food is not fish food. There are lots of articles out there about the danger to you, the snorkeler, from bringing up the whole top end of the food chain (think big fish-eating fish!) due to this practice.

And, in the Virgin Islands, the left side of the road is NOT the wrong side. That would be the right side. :')

We will be is St Thomas in July And I really don’t want to pay the full price for an excursion to Megans Bay just for a ride. Is there a cost to get onto the beach how much a cab would cost Round trip per person and do they have a snack bar and bathrooms at Megans Bay thank you

Yes, there is a snack bar and bathrooms, which were clean.

We were at Magens Bay just last Tuesday. There are plenty of open cab (safari style) trucks outside the ship and at Magens, the cost is $8.00 per person each way. They will squeeze in as many people as possible and wait until full. About 15 min ride over steep mountain road with amazing vistas.

There is an additional $5.00 per person entrance fee. So, bottom line cost is $21 per person.

However, there are some issues (and costs) with Magens bay that you need to consider, especially traveling in July.

If you want to relax with some protection from the sun you need to rent chairs and umbrella and incur that additional cost.

There is hardly any shade on the beach due to last season storm, they have replanted some small palms which will take years to grow and provide any shade.

When we were there last week there were 2 ships at port, not an extreme high load but the beach was crowded and the rental station ran out of umbrellas! They only had chairs for rent at 2 for $25. You should also consider other beach options, most have no entrance fees and cheaper rentals, we always enjoyed Coki for the snorkeling but I don't know the current condition after the unfortunate storm.

Very well said.

We were in St. Thomas back in February. We left the ship as soon as debarkation began. We walked down to the area where taxi buses waited. Someone tried to lead us to an empty bus, but we know from past experience that we could have sat in that hot, stinky bus for 30 minutes while waiting for every seat to fill. We told that someone that we wanted an open-air bus and started walking towards the one that was there. (Note, the open air buses are much smaller than the big closed buses.) We only waited five minutes for the bus to fill and off we went.

We were on the beach by 9:00. There were hardly any other people there. We laid our towels on the sand right in front of the covered green picnic table area. There was just enough shade for those in our party who wanted it.

By noon, the beach was packed.

We hailed another open-air taxi at 12:30 to get back to the ship.

The beach was stunning The water was crystal clear and calm.

Morals of the story - leave the ship early and demand an open air bus.

Yes, there is a snack bar and bathrooms, which were clean.

What did the snack bar offer?

We were in St. Thomas back in February. We left the ship as soon as debarkation began. We walked down to the area where taxi buses waited. Someone tried to lead us to an empty bus, but we know from past experience that we could have sat in that hot, stinky bus for 30 minutes while waiting for every seat to fill. We told that someone that we wanted an open-air bus and started walking towards the one that was there. (Note, the open air buses are much smaller than the big closed buses.) We only waited five minutes for the bus to fill and off we went.

We were on the beach by 9:00. There were hardly any other people there. We laid our towels on the sand right in front of the covered green picnic table area. There was just enough shade for those in our party who wanted it.

By noon, the beach was packed.

We hailed another open-air taxi at 12:30 to get back to the ship.

The beach was stunning The water was crystal clear and calm.

Morals of the story - leave the ship early and demand an open air bus.

Great info! Thank you

• 2 weeks later...