Upsells?

lhsail

Our first Cunard cruise is an upcoming TA the end of August (well, I was on the Cunard Princess in the Caribbean about 40 years ago). We are booked in an inside and if that's what we get we'll be fine, but I wouldn't mind some light from the outside. This week there was a price drop making an obstructed balcony only $100/person more than our current rate but we'd lose all our OBC so it's not worth it. On several of our recent Princess cruises we have received upsell offers a few weeks out. Is this something Cunard does?

Our first Cunard cruise is an upcoming TA the end of August (well, I was on the Cunard Princess in the Caribbean about 40 years ago). We are booked in an inside and if that's what we get we'll be fine, but I wouldn't mind some light from the outside. This week there was a price drop making an obstructed balcony only $100/person more than our current rate but we'd lose all our OBC so it's not worth it. On several of our recent Princess cruises we have received upsell offers a few weeks out. Is this something Cunard does?

How much OBC do you have that makes the additional cost not worth it? I would JUMP on that deal. To be able to sit on the balcony ... privately ... and watch the sunrise/set ... the ocean, while having a cocktail. It's lovely. And a TA ... that is a very affordable upgrade.

How much OBC do you have that makes the additional cost not worth it? I would JUMP on that deal. To be able to sit on the balcony ... privately ... and watch the sunrise/set ... the ocean, while having a cocktail. It's lovely. And a TA ... that is a very affordable upgrade.

I might concur with you, but my DH is not convinced. Think he is concerned that the weather will not permit the use of the balcony. And, this is one part of a much larger trip so we are trying to mange total cost.

It is too windy to sit outside on a balcony on a transatlantic. Have done this trip 3 times all in july and august and apart from I day near to new york we have only been able to sit on promenade deck for a little while, we were well wrapped up but still cold and windy.

We are heading back on the Regal Princess British Isles/TA cruise after a few days in London and Copenhagen and actually have a mini-suite as we wanted the extra space for the 14 days. So, we'll experience how useful the balcony is or isn't. I'm really more interested in getting some daylight and the love seat on the QM2. Now, for my original question regarding upsells?

OK, I'll be the one to ask the question. What exactly is an 'upsell' and does it come from the agent or direct from Cunard?

An upsell is generally when a company is trying to get you to buy something you never thought you wanted/afford in the first place. Or something they have spare and selling it to you at a discount. It can be a win win for both. Hence an upgraded cabin for a better rate than normal. My guess would be they try and upsell it to you first at a discount to at lease make some money and if there are no takers this is when you see the "free" upgrades. I have no idea if Cunard do this but that is basically what upsellng is. You could upsell anything even cakes you have in a shop that will be out of date by the next day are offered at a discount but good marketing would be talking you into buying it first at the full price even though you never even wanted one. ;)

Edited by cook68

Thank you for all the replies. Looks like this is not typical of Cunard and we'll be in the inside cabin, which will be fine. With Princess, the upsell is offered by Princess and made through my travel agent (I always book through an agent). It happens just a few weeks before sailing, after final payment. For a 10-day Caribbean this past winter we got an upsell from a balcony to a mini-suite for $99/person. You have to respond quickly as Princess keeps going down the line with the offers. We've always been able to choose from the available cabins in that category, which is nice.

Thank you for all the replies. Looks like this is not typical of Cunard and we'll be in the inside cabin, which will be fine. With Princess, the upsell is offered by Princess and made through my travel agent (I always book through an agent). It happens just a few weeks before sailing, after final payment. For a 10-day Caribbean this past winter we got an upsell from a balcony to a mini-suite for $99/person. You have to respond quickly as Princess keeps going down the line with the offers. We've always been able to choose from the available cabins in that category, which is nice.

Princess is probably the most active of the cruise lines for Up Sells and also Move Over offers .

( switch to another sailing date for a big reward )

NCL has bidding for upgrades but with Princess if you respond immediately , it is yours .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I usually pick the cabin that I want and have my TA note that I do not want and upgrade. I have occasionally been offered and upgrade-once to Grill which I accepted-quickly;p . Of course Guarantees are different and I have always enjoyed enjoyed and upgrade on a Guarantee.

We are heading back on the Regal Princess British Isles/TA cruise after a few days in London and Copenhagen and actually have a mini-suite as we wanted the extra space for the 14 days. So, we'll experience how useful the balcony is or isn't. I'm really more interested in getting some daylight and the love seat on the QM2. Now, for my original question regarding upsells?

From what I have been reading on here and other places, as mentioned upsells are rare.

You will enjoy the Regal, Princess really knocked it out of the park with her, it's the only Princess ship where we will eat at the Sterling Grill, fantastic meal.

From what I have been reading on here and other places, as mentioned upsells are rare.

You will enjoy the Regal, Princess really knocked it out of the park with her, it's the only Princess ship where we will eat at the Sterling Grill, fantastic meal.

We have been on the Regal and have done two 10-day cruises on the Royal. The problem is they kind of spoil me for the other Princess ships. Was disappointed to see neither ship is doing the longer Caribbean cruises this winter. We may live in Texas, but January can get chilly and it's a slow time around here. A great time to get away for a bit. However, after this trip of almost a month DH may be cutting off my cruise fund.