Recommendation for hotel in Southampton/London area.

rfauss

We will be disembarking the Queen Victoria on Aug.24th and boarding the QM2 on Sept.2nd. Looking for recommendations on where to stay for those 9 days between cruises and what we should see and do other than the London highlights. Thanks for all ideas and suggestions!

Are you intending staying in both places? They are quite a distance apart.

In Southampton I would recommend the Southampton Harbour Hotel - not to be confused with the Grand Harbour, which I wouldn’t recommend these days.

London has so many, to suit every budget. Search carefully for location. The Renaissance at Kings Cross is nice, as is the Shard.

Apart from the London “sights”, perhaps Windsor, Stonehenge, Winchester, Bath, Portsmouth, the New Forest. A hire car would be advantageous, except in London, when it would be a nuisance.

Enjoy your extended visit.

We will be disembarking the Queen Victoria on Aug.24th and boarding the QM2 on Sept.2nd. Looking for recommendations on where to stay for those 9 days between cruises and what we should see and do other than the London highlights. Thanks for all ideas and suggestions!

If looking for a hotel to stay in the English Countryside, in a typical English Country Hotel, wishing to stay well, and dine well, far away from the busy Southampton Cruise Hotels, then in MHO it has to be.

https://www.limewoodhotel.co.uk/food/

No such thing as a bad room, excellence is the standard throughout the Hotel.

Rooms at many price points. Pods are further from the Restaurants.

Hire a car or driver, the Concierge will be happy to make any, or all your arrangements, also assist to plan your sightseeing itineraries. Even making up an English Pic-Nic to order.

London can be reached by train.

Transfer by private car from Hotel to the Port will be just over an hour.

May I recommend the web site Londontown.com, it has a lot of information on London tourism and a link to a London hotel interactive map. There are lots of coach tours available to places outside the capital. Places such as Kew gardens and Greenwich can be reached by tube or river boat. We have stayed at the Royal Horse Guards Hotel which we found convenient for sight seeing and would happily stay there again. The one thing I would not recommend is the open top tour bus as many of the major attractions in central London are within walking distance of each other. What ever you decide to do or wherever you decide to stay I wish you a very pleasant time in the UK.

In London, an alternative to hotels for that long a stay is to rent a furnished flat (apartment). Even in the high-rent districts, the space is much larger, the cost can be much lower (depending on the flat, of course), and you can feel like a Londoner.

There are many short-term rental agents, with properties of all sizes all over London. We have stayed happily many times at flats offered by an Anglophile agent based in Ogden, Utah (of all places), www.londonconnection.com.

Are you intending staying in both places? They are quite a distance apart.

In Southampton I would recommend the Southampton Harbour Hotel - not to be confused with the Grand Harbour, which I wouldn’t recommend these days.

London has so many, to suit every budget. Search carefully for location. The Renaissance at Kings Cross is nice, as is the Shard.

Apart from the London “sights”, perhaps Windsor, Stonehenge, Winchester, Bath, Portsmouth, the New Forest. A hire car would be advantageous, except in London, when it would be a nuisance.

Enjoy your extended visit.

Thank you so much. Those suggestions will be quite helpful as we begin our research. At this time is to stay in London 5 days and Southampton 4 days and do day trips. Again thanks!

If looking for a hotel to stay in the English Countryside, in a typical English Country Hotel, wishing to stay well, and dine well, far away from the busy Southampton Cruise Hotels, then in MHO it has to be.

https://www.limewoodhotel.co.uk/food/

No such thing as a bad room, excellence is the standard throughout the Hotel.

Rooms at many price points. Pods are further from the Restaurants.

Hire a car or driver, the Concierge will be happy to make any, or all your arrangements, also assist to plan your sightseeing itineraries. Even making up an English Pic-Nic to order.

London can be reached by train.

Transfer by private car from Hotel to the Port will be just over an hour.

Thank you.....we will check that out.

May I recommend the web site Londontown.com, it has a lot of information on London tourism and a link to a London hotel interactive map. There are lots of coach tours available to places outside the capital. Places such as Kew gardens and Greenwich can be reached by tube or river boat. We have stayed at the Royal Horse Guards Hotel which we found convenient for sight seeing and would happily stay there again. The one thing I would not recommend is the open top tour bus as many of the major attractions in central London are within walking distance of each other. What ever you decide to do or wherever you decide to stay I wish you a very pleasant time in the UK.

Thank you so much for the info!

We love the "aparthotel" concept. We liked Citidines on Northumberland Ave, just 2 blocks from Trafalgar Square. The "apartment" we had was one room, so I guess you'd call it a studio. It had a kitchen area, and there's a Tesco's a block away to pick up some necessities. I don't know that we saved much money by having breakfast in our apartment, but it was a relaxing start to the day not having to get dressed and go out. The kitchen was equipped enough for cooking supper, but we ate out at night. We shipped a suitcase to Southampton using White Star service, and the front desk staff were great about holding the bag that morning and handing it over to DHL for us, so we could go out for the day.

Some of the apartment rentals require a week minimum, but this one did not.

We generally stay in Southampton only the night before we leave, and love the Premier Inn West Quay.

I second the recommendation of the londontown site. Lots of good info, especially their explanation of Oyster cards (London transit cards)

Thank you.....we will check that out.

For a Southampton Hotel, check out Ageas Hilton, they have a cruise/Stay package with private taxi transfers and breakfast included in price.

Book the Club Floor, free drinks and a great hot/cold buffet between 17 & 19.00 hours.

Nice buffet breakfast in Club Lounge.

I have stayed in London many times and after 'auditioning' hotels I settled at the Cavendish, Duke St. St.James. It has a Jermyn St address and it is directly behind Fortnum and Mason in Picadilly. Picadilly and Green Park Tube stations are easy walks. The Hotel was built in the 60, and refurbished a couple of years ago. Rooms are comfortable,(good A/C) service very good, and it has a nice restaurant on the First Floor, but that area of London abounds with Restaurants. Easy to get there from Waterloo if you take the train in from Southampton or are going to Southampton from London. Its mid priced and they have a website. https://www.thecavendish-london.co.uk/