Lerwick shore excursions

litlady

Gordon Rae of Tourshetlands.com is an excellent way to obtain a wonderful day trip of Lerwick and surrounding area. He will personalize the tour as well as please all of your wishes.

He is personable, full of great fun humor, organized and dependable.

Thanks for a great trip - July 18, 2017.

A few years ago, someone on our rollcall organized a tour with Gordon. It filled up quickly and more people wanted a tour. So, Gordon arranged with a friend to take another van load of us around the island. Magnus did a wonderful job, and we had a great tour. We met Gordon at a pub stop when his group and ours met for lunch.

Highly recommend them.

• 2 months later...

It was our first visit to Lerwick.

It's been a few years, so I can't remember the exact itinerary, but, here goes, in no particular order.

We visited a lighthouse and saw lots of puffins - I loved that.

Stopped to see Shetland ponies somewhere.

Also toured a Croft House, peat bogs (our guide explained how peat was harvested for home heating) and an old water driven mill.

We toured an ancient settlement (Jarlshof I think).

Our guide showed us wonderful scenery and wildlife. We stopped for lunch at a pub.

We might have seen more, but there had been a bad automobile accident on the main road, so we had to detour and that took extra time. All in all, a good first look at the island.

Hope that helps.

LOVED the puffins.

They are so cute. On our stop at the lighthouse, just look over a stone wall and there were hundreds of them!

We were there in June. What time of year are you going? That might affect seeing them.

Just remembering this cruise makes me want to return. Oh well, maybe in a few year.

We did a very good tour with Wild about Orkney. My OH is very interested in WWII history, so geared towards this, but enjoyable all the same.

I contacted Orkney Tourist Board before we went and they were very helpful in supplying information of companies who operated tours here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're heading over to Lerwick on August 29th, so hopefully we can still see them. I'm leaning towards the Northern route and will have to re-consider if there's no chance of seeing the puffins there.

I'll check out Wild about Orkney to see what they offer for Lerwick.

Twee