New £10 Note

wowzz

The new £10 note, featuring Jane Austen went into circulation today. The 'old' note will gradually be withdrawn from circulation, and will no longer be accepted by shops and businesses some time in Spring next year.

So if any of you cruisers are hanging on to any notes to spend the next time you are in the UK, it may be as well to exchange them at your local bank now.

Alternatively you could just send them to me!!

The new £10 note, featuring Jane Austen went into circulation today. The 'old' note will gradually be withdrawn from circulation, and will no longer be accepted by shops and businesses some time in Spring next year.

So if any of you cruisers are hanging on to any notes to spend the next time you are in the UK, it may be as well to exchange them at your local bank now.

I have 13 Bank of England £10 notes with the Queen on one side and Charles Darwin on the other. Are these the old bills?

Can you post what the new ones look like?

Was the £5 notes also changed? I have £5 with the Queen and Churchill on them.

I do not cruise until July 2018.

Just wanted to add that by July next year you will find it difficult to spend your £130. You should exchange your notes for your own currency now, or pass them on if you know of anyone coming to the UK in the next few months.

Thanks for the heads up. Just so I'm clear--if we have "old" notes, they will be OK to use next April? We have some pounds but I will have to look at them to see how many 10s we have.

Thanks for posting this

ML

The timing as to the non-acceptance of the old £10 is unclear. The press release says Spring 2018, but there will be 3 months notice given of a definitive date. You could be OK in April, but it will not be clear until the New Year.

With regard to £1 coins, many of the UK retailers now have signs saying that the old £1 coins will not be accepted after mid-October. You may find it difficult to use any old coins later this year.

One visit, we tried to use a GBP with our car service at LHR, he would not take it, we also tried at a restaurant inside LHR and they would not take it. We asked someone at the restaurant if they saw any difference in the GBP and they could not. They told us to go to the money exchange inside LHR and they exchanged it with no problem.

You could try the money exchange at the airport or a British bank.

One visit, we tried to use a GBP with our car service at LHR, he would not take it, we also tried at a restaurant inside LHR and they would not take it. We asked someone at the restaurant if they saw any difference in the GBP and they could not. They told us to go to the money exchange inside LHR and they exchanged it with no problem.

You could try the money exchange at the airport or a British bank.

Are you talking about the £1 coin? Not sure why you should have had any problem. The 'new' coin, introduced earlier this year, is the first change in shape since the introduction of decimal coinage.

Wow! I'm glad we will be traveling over there within 2 weeks!! We'll have to make sure to use up all of our 10 pound notes!

I didn't know about the one pound coins being changed. Hope the ones I have leftover from last year are the "right ones".

The ones you have left over will still be OK until the middle of October or thereabouts. Just make sure you get rid of all of them before you leave. The new coins are different in shape and design, so you should have no trouble telling the old and new coins apart.

Are you talking about the £1 coin? Not sure why you should have had any problem. The 'new' coin, introduced earlier this year, is the first change in shape since the introduction of decimal coinage.

It was a paper £, I forget what the dollar amount was, this was 2013. I had no problem exchanging it at the money exchange at LHR.

The old style pond coin ceases to be legal tender at midnight on Sunday the 15th of October to give a precise date. The new coins have twelve sides and are made of 2 different coloured metals, the old ones are round and one colour only.

Bank of England notes can always be exchanged at the Bank of England for thier face value.

The timing as to the non-acceptance of the old £10 is unclear. The press release says Spring 2018, but there will be 3 months notice given of a definitive date. You could be OK in April, but it will not be clear until the New Year.

With regard to £1 coins, many of the UK retailers now have signs saying that the old £1 coins will not be accepted after mid-October. You may find it difficult to use any old coins later this year.

I don't have any coins but do have paper notes. I hope someone posts early next year with any updates.

ML

Bank of England notes can always be exchanged at the Bank of England for thier face value.

This is good to know, thanks.

The Bank of England's website has every detail on recent, current & forthcoming currency news along with every other good thing it does.

Here's more info about the £10, exchanging & knowing that you won't ever lose the value of the notes that you have now.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/exchanges.aspx

There are already new notes for sale on eBay with certain coveted serial numbers collectors are keen on having in their collection! :eek:

Thanks for the heads up. We will only be in Southampton for a day on each leg of our TA so it does not look as if I can exchange my old 5 pound notes for new. We only have 3. Will lose about 5 pounds in coins but such is life.

Some friends from London are supposed to meet us for lunch so perhaps we can talk them into exchanging some new notes with us and then they can deposit the old ones to one of their accounts. :D

It was a paper £, I forget what the dollar amount was, this was 2013. I had no problem exchanging it at the money exchange at LHR.

Curious. The old £20 note was withdrawn in 2010, so could have been that, I suppose, if you had it from a previous trip. Or maybe it was a £50 note, which many businesses choose not to accept.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Curious. The old £20 note was withdrawn in 2010, so could have been that, I suppose, if you had it from a previous trip. Or maybe it was a £50 note, which many businesses choose not to accept.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It probably was a £20 that I got from the bank before our cruise. I had separated £40 to pay cash for the car service.

I had an issue with the 5 pound note. the new one is smaller. I just came home and realize I still have 2. Did not know about the 10 pound.

We usually keep for future trips. But maybe this time, I will just get rid of everything.

thank you so much for the heads up as well as the links.

It's truly appreciated.