Tipping the staff

MzLadybug72

Hi all-

Its been awhile since cruising and I forget who I should tip out to end of cruise with cash.

If I remember correctly its your steward and wait staff??

Am I missing any one else? I am on a 7-day cruise what is the typical rate at tipping??

Thanks for and advice in advance.

:D

Most cruise lines charge your onboard account with the recommended gratuities each day. The exact amount varies by cruise line and (sometimes) by type of cabin. We sail on Princess and their amounts seem to be in the same range as other lines. We pay $13.50 per person per day for our balcony cabin. I believe it is the same for all cabins that are balcony or a lower category.

This autotip (as it is known) covers the cabin steward, the waiters, assistant waiters and the people behind the scenes that help them. We tip extra if someone has been particularly helpful.

Great this is helpful. So its automatically added to bill at end, and if I decide to tip extra that's my decision ..did I understand that correctly?

A lot depends on what cruise line you're on. Not every line automatically puts gratuities on your account daily. If they do, tipping extra is totally up to you. Also, most lines will automatically add 15% to 18% to any beverage bill.

Great this is helpful. So its automatically added to bill at end, and if I decide to tip extra that's my decision ..did I understand that correctly?

If you feel that one of the people covered by the auto-tip has done extra things for you, then they would of course appreciate any extra you might give them. We tip Room Service when they deliver. For everyone else, I give extra tips the last night.

Yes, if tips are added to your account they cover your cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters and head waiter. Any drink you buy will have a tip added to the cost. If you buy a drink "package", then 18% is added to the cost of the package as the tip.

All those covered by the "charged tips" are the folks you're supposed to tip. Yes, you may give them more, if you feel it's warranted.

A little kindness goes a long way. Regardless of the tips already on our bill, we tip the dining room staff at each meal a few extra bucks. Same with anyone who has helped us during the cruise. And we give an envelope to the room attendant at the end of the cruise.

It looks as though OP is going on Carnival. They will charge $12.95 per day per person ($13.95 if you are in a suite) to your Sign and Sail account (unless you prepay it prior to the cruise). This will hit your account on the second day. If you wish to adjust up or down, you can do so at Guest Services. We normally leave it in place and tip additional in cash to anyone who provides extraordinary service during the cruise.

• 1 month later...