Wine by the glass reviews

FredGold

I can second the Matua which we drink at home. It is only 7 dollars here but it is out of New Zealand and that is a competitive price for most Sauvignon blancs from Marlborough. In other words, there is no reason you spend more than $15 on a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc.

On the Breakaway now. I think the Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Red blend, and Cab are all fine and I've been drinking them regularly. I tried the Riesling but it's too sweet for me. The Malbec, Merlot, and Chianti are all ok but not my favorites.

Heading out on the Breakaway in a couple of weeks - what do they have for a Cab? I'm a fan of J. Lohr but assume that's a little above what they have (because it's a $15 bottle at home lol)!

Thanks!

More choices. Wine cellar but I spent 3$ glass plus 20% Svc and still I felt for that price I expected better

You can get grey goose Johnnie walker black patron silver in the ubp

They don’t have wines in the list that compare at the same price point you would find at a restaurant paying for those liquor choices .

I think they want you spend extra and by by the bottle

Next time I will pay corkage or maybe a different cruise line

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ll probably just go there and pay to get a nice glass to have with dinner, then I’ll drink their free crap;). Do you recall if they have a Jordan cab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except that those are ONLY wines you can get by the glass..... there are no "nice glasses" to have with dinner. Even to buy. You'd have to buy a bottle.

Ahhh- I'm editing because I see you were referring to ships with a fancier wine bar. Sorry. Sounds like there are more there.

Kind of negates the concept of having the UBP when you need to buy more wine and then pay ther corkage. Further is seems like 5 years from know everyone will get the UBP as part of their fare, and they will probably offer 1 red wine and 1 white wine by the glass, only have Miller High Life Beer included, and Mad Dog 20/20 as the only liqour that comes included.

Yes even the wine bar has limited selection by glass and was not thrilled either

The changes to the wine list and the changes to the menu in speciality restaurant definitely disappointed and most likely why I did not get a cruise next certificate

Hopefully NCL reads threads like these and adjusts things accordingly

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kind of negates the concept of having the UBP when you need to buy more wine and then pay ther corkage. Further is seems like 5 years from know everyone will get the UBP as part of their fare, and they will probably offer 1 red wine and 1 white wine by the glass, only have Miller High Life Beer included, and Mad Dog 20/20 as the only liqour that comes included.

This is why we didn't choose to have the UBP. We knew what the choices would be. We booked a cheap Sailaway Rate and still came out $$$$$$ ahead even with paying the corkage on 10 bottles.

Here is the fleet wide Wine list

The Oberon Cab is probably the best wine by the glass on the list. I think the blend was OK but I wouldn't drink it at home. To the OP, I wouldn't describe any of the wines by the glass as really good ;)...although there are some nice bottles available.

Thanks for the wine list. I found one I was looking for. May not be 'the best' of the name ... but it's there. Chateau Neuf de Pape

Thanks for the wine list. I found one I was looking for. May not be 'the best' of the name ... but it's there. Chateau Neuf de Pape

that's the old wine list. The current one was on page 2 of this thread- far fewer wines.

I usually bring a couple of $20+ bottles onboard and pay the $15 corkage. When I buy onboard I usually buy a chateau neuf du pape as well. They’re usually in the $30 range on land so I don’t feel hosed. Generally speaking, most of the better value wine sold on board are from Italy and France. Lowest value are the USA wines as that’s what most guests are familiar with.

Since the update in menus, does the Robert Mondavi Wine Bar offer better and/or a greater selection of glasses of wine than the standard menu?

To be honest, I think a lot of people are underestimating the quality/flavor of some $7-12 wines here, especially since after 2 glasses, accurate detection of characteristics of wine are lost and can't even be distinguished in the first place (see research article: Brochet). This on top of the meta-analysis that proves that there is a positive correlation between price and enjoyment, and not so much the quality of the wine (see research article: AES).

So I am clear, I do not support NCL limiting the amount of selection on a ship, but I do believe some people's opinions are a bit short-sighted and misguided. It is fine to like what you like; and I, myself, have traveled the wine world around and enjoy having a selection. Yet, if you really have a strong preference, bring your own bottles and pay the corkage fee OR just skip NCL and go to wine country :wine-glass: