Royal Caribbean Tightens Cruise Cancellation Policy

Unless other markets also adjust this, the US rules now seem to have the worst cancelling conditions.

Here are the UK conditions:

5 days or less 100%

6 to 14 days 90%

15 to 28 days 75%

29 to 56 days 50%

Of course in the UK you lose your deposit at any time between booking and 57 days, but there are quite a number of really low deposit bookings available.

Aussie rules:

151 or more days deposit is refundable

150 - 71 days - loss of deposit

70 - 46 days - 25% of fare *

45 - 31 days - 50% of fare *

30 - 15 days - 75% of fare *

14 days or less - 100% of fare

Edited by Biker19

The new cancel rules show no time period within final payment window, where just the deposit is lost.

So what is the point of RCI requiring a deposit now?

OR - are they also moving to only non-refundable deposit, too?

Edit:

Thinking about it further, after my existing reservation, I need to rethink strategies. Booking when itineraries are released 2years in advance will lose it’s advantage to me. Going forward I’ll be booking Royal after final payment when my plans will be (mostly) concrete. Or I will look at other lines.

Edited by peach section
Added thought.

The new cancel rules show no time period within final payment window, where just the deposit is lost.

So what is the point of RCI requiring a deposit now?

OR - are they also moving to only non-refundable deposit, too?

Isn't the deposit to hold your preferred cabin on a cruise more than 90 days away? That doesn't seem to have changed. You can still secure a good cabin location on a preferred cruise and get your full deposit back if you change your mind 90+ days in advance or am I missing something?.

Gives the cruise line more time to book replacement passengers for the folks that book multiple cruises they never actually intend to take. While a certain percentage of folks will always have unplanned changes, the number of cabins that magically appear right after penalties kick in indicates there are a fair number of folks who book and decide later which cruise to take.

While we really like to book early it is becoming increasingly attractive to wait for last minute price drops. The nonrefundable deposit and this policy should actually make it easier to get flights because the cabins will get released earlier.

Thanks Laura for heads up!

Edited by LeeW
more

MB was clear recently that the burden was on the cruiser to take responsibility and purchase cruise insurance.

This is also an added effort to continue to reduce the bookings that are place holders or backup cruises and not likely to be used. Frees up those cabins earlier but too us, not early enough.

MB was clear recently that the burden was on the cruiser to take responsibility and purchase cruise insurance.

This is also an added effort to continue to reduce the bookings that are place holders or backup cruises and not likely to be used. Frees up those cabins earlier but too us, not early enough.

This has nothing to do with holding bookings you don't intend to use; it's just a way to keep more funds if you cancel after final payment. They've upped the tiers.

That chart is odd.

Don't you still lose $100pp if you cancel or rebook date and ship with a non-refundable deposit?

Yes, and long as the cancellation or change of ship or sailing date is done before final payment date.

Right, this is all about what happens inside final payment. That $100 issue is outside of final payment.

Yes, and long as the cancellation or change of ship or sailing date is done before final

payment date.

Yes, but that chart says 90+ days NO CHARGE. Which is literally not true if they charge you $200. More RCI doublespeak. Maybe it's another fake sale. :cool:

This look as as if it is just coming in line with the uk. We pay £150/$210 per person deposit which is completely lost if we cancel. We have until 12 weeks before to cancel without further penalty. Anything after that incurs extra fees

Yes, but that chart says 90+ days NO CHARGE. Which is literally not true if they charge you $200. More RCI doublespeak. Maybe it's another fake sale. :cool:

You're correct, the chart is not valid for non-refundable deposits. The need one more line for that.

To me this contradicts RC removing the option to buy an open booking while on the ship. On our last cruise we booked a cruise in 2019 that we have no intention of sailing on and will soon switch just to be able to get the FCC since we hadn’t decided on where we wanted to go.

To me this contradicts RC removing the option to buy an open booking while on the ship. On our last cruise we booked a cruise in 2019 that we have no intention of sailing on and will soon switch just to be able to get the FCC since we hadn’t decided on where we wanted to go.

lThat is what seems to have pushed the change -- too many cruises booked with no intention of following through -- "place holders" for some deny other cruisers a booking.

MARAPRINCE

lThat is what seems to have pushed the change -- too many cruises booked with no intention of following through -- "place holders" for some deny other cruisers a booking.

MARAPRINCE

Yes, this seemed to be a common practice among some experienced cruisers. Mostly Suites a prime locations like aft balconies.

Hmmm.... are we guests or captives?

If you booked a cruise you never intended to go on, you are neither.

I've never booked a cruise that I didn't intend on going on, so this is no big deal. The "what if something happens and you can't go excuse" doesn't work because it's just as likely that something would happen at 14 days out as it is at 140 days out.