Late night food

tx121

So I've noticed that on my last few cruises (NCL and Celebrity) late night food was available in the buffet area or at Osheehans bar. Yes Royal Caribbean has Sorrentos or Cafe Promenade open for small sandwiches and cookies late at night, but the options are very limited. There is also very limited seating available as well at these venues. I've seen the staff in the Windjammer throw out food at the end of dinner service and I'm sure there's extra in the back that is also thrown out. I wish Royal would do the same and expand their buffet hours to late night like the other lines. I rather have the buffet open and close cafe promenade and Sorrentos and use that staff to man the buffet area. Also why is the Windjammer only open until 9 for dinner?

RC ships check inventory of meals served they also monitor the amount of food left over, number of customers and I guess they made the decision that it wasn't feasible to keep the buffet open until the wee hours. There just wasn't enough demand. I know its a charge, but you can still order from room service if you want more than is offered at Cafe Promenade and Sorrento's. Since it's a flat fee, for the $7.95 you can order what would amount to a small buffet for you and whoever else is in your group and have it brought to one cabin. We ordered lunch one day for our group of four in one of our cabins and it amounted to a little more than a couple of bucks each for burgers, fries, pizza, salads desserts and dips and chips. Quite a spread.

I rather have the buffet open and close cafe promenade and Sorrentos and use that staff to man the buffet area. Also why is the Windjammer only open until 9 for dinner?

Because there wouldn't be many people needing to fill a plate with food in the buffet after 9:00. That's why the venues in the promenade are open.

I agree with the OP. Late night dining options on Royal are poor and certainly not competitive with other mainstream lines. Sorrento's and Cafe Promenade would be a decent option, but their pizza is terrible and the selection at Cafe Promenade is boring...too limited and unchanging.

I honestly always found Sorrentos as very okay pizza. Everyone remarks as if it the worst thing they have ever consumed but it's really just fine.

The pizza to me is fine as well, I just wished they had something like wings or other options as pizza every night for a late night snack gets boring for a week.

In my post cruise survey, I put in the suggestion for the Windjammer dinner to close at around 10:00pm instead of 9:00pm.

9:00pm at the Windjammer to close is a bit early. Sometimes there are activities or shows on the ship which delay your dinner. If anyone else feel the same, you should put that comment in the post cruise survey.

I have commented on the lack of late night food every time I've been given a chance to numerous different ways.

Having a portion of the WJ open late serving perhaps breakfast type foods etc. would be great.

However RCI doesn't seem interested in providing this option at all.

Looking forward to sailing on Celebrity next month and see if they do better.

In my post cruise survey, I put in the suggestion for the Windjammer dinner to close at around 10:00pm instead of 9:00pm.

9:00pm at the Windjammer to close is a bit early. Sometimes there are activities or shows on the ship which delay your dinner. If anyone else feel the same, you should put that comment in the post cruise survey.

I, too, have made just that comment after multiple cruises for just the reasons that you mentioned. You can see how responsive RCI has been to the suggestion.

I agree. My theory is if the main dining room is still open, then the buffet should remain open.

I have commented on the lack of late night food every time I've been given a chance to numerous different ways.

Having a portion of the WJ open late serving perhaps breakfast type foods etc. would be great.

However RCI doesn't seem interested in providing this option at all.

Looking forward to sailing on Celebrity next month and see if they do better.

I am on the Celebrity Reflection right now and the buffet is open late serving pizza, pasta station, salad bar, sandwich bar, few hot dishes and dessert. This is why I brought up the topic because I just don’t see why Royal can’t follow suit like their sister company.

I honestly always found Sorrentos as very okay pizza. Everyone remarks as if it the worst thing they have ever consumed but it's really just fine.

I haven't seen that. Pizza is good, pretty much by default. It's really hard to screw up pizza. Bland sauce, melted cheese, and a flat disc of dough and you've got something edible, which is what Sorrentos is. It's about on the same level as the square pizza they used to serve at my middle school cafeteria.

What they're saying is that it would be nice if a billion dollar ship that you pay a few grand to be on would rise above the level of the bendy play-doh pizza you find in public schools. ;)

I haven't seen that. Pizza is good, pretty much by default. It's really hard to screw up pizza. Bland sauce, melted cheese, and a flat disc of dough and you've got something edible, which is what Sorrentos is. It's about on the same level as the square pizza they used to serve at my middle school cafeteria.

What they're saying is that it would be nice if a billion dollar ship that you pay a few grand to be on would rise above the level of the bendy play-doh pizza you find in public schools. ;)

Exceptionally well said. Sorrentos is crap.