Studio Cabins -- Claustrophobia??

FLAHAM

Having previously cruised in balconies, minisuites and full suites, I have long wanted to try a studio cabin. However, I have mild claustrophobia and worried it would kick in in a studio.

I am very uncomfortable in other than an aisle seat on planes and busses. I avoid crowded public spaces and hallways where I cannot readily reach an exit. I do not enter caves. I have an irrational fear of elevator breakdowns.

This past week, I took the shortest studio cruise I could find--four nights on the Epic--as a test. I figured that, in a pinch, I could get some sleep sitting on the comfortable couches in the library.

I need not have worried. I greatly enjoyed my studio and my claustrophobia did not kick in even the smallest amount. For a low-square-footage cabin, the studio has a surprising amount of open floor space. In addition, the large window into the hallway (closable and with adjustable blinds); the two large mirrors; the 42-inch TV set; the two large mirrors and the partially-transparent shower all combine to make the studio seem larger than it is. In addition, the bed, shower and toilet were all fully-adequate (I am 6'1" and 200 lbs). There is more than adequate storage.

I was so delighted that I have now signed up for a two-week studio cruise next winter. If you travel solo and have mild claustrophobia, I strongly urge you to try cruising in a studio.

I am booked on the Star for the fall TA in a Ocienview. Will be my first time on NCL. Just found out I am getting divorced.Needless to say my soon to be ex will not be going,but I hope to still go. For future cruises, how do you find cruises easily that have solo rooms? Also, can you make reservations as a single for the specialty dining? Thanks!

NCL's website is actually pretty easy to search as a solo traveler, just filter by Number of Guests = 1 (and, optionally, Stateroom Type = Studio.) You can also find some cruises on older, pre-studio ships where they waive the single supplement & you can get an reasonably priced inside without paying double. Check out the Solo Cruising board in the Special Interests section, lots of tip & tricks there. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373 Also, best of luck in your new situation.

• Thanks 1

I am booked on the Star for the fall TA in a Ocienview. Will be my first time on NCL. Just found out I am getting divorced.Needless to say my soon to be ex will not be going,but I hope to still go. For future cruises, how do you find cruises easily that have solo rooms? Also, can you make reservations as a single for the specialty dining? Thanks!

Any of the Breakaway class ships and the Epic have the studio rooms.

Yes you can make single specialty dining reservations. I had a very pleasant meal at teppanyaki with 2 large groups.

When I went tu Teppanyaki last week it was me solo, and four couples. At first people were pretty into themselves and I worried it would be an awkward dinner.

Then they took drink orders. People began talking a bit to others. We were so quiet and subdued, and quietly discussed how strangely boisterous the other table (who were in the "show" portion of dinner) were behaving.

Fast forward 20 minutes. Drinks were rolling. The chef came out. We were talking across the table, across groups, and acting like old friends. More drinks. Turns out the youngest couple were on their delayed honeymoon. We got louder and were singing and cheering and by the end, the newly arrived group at the next table were quietly settling in and giving us these sidelong "wow aren't they rowdy" looks. Heh.

• Haha 1

Having previously cruised in balconies, minisuites and full suites, I have long wanted to try a studio cabin. However, I have mild claustrophobia and worried it would kick in in a studio.

I am very uncomfortable in other than an aisle seat on planes and busses. I avoid crowded public spaces and hallways where I cannot readily reach an exit. I do not enter caves. I have an irrational fear of elevator breakdowns.

This past week, I took the shortest studio cruise I could find--four nights on the Epic--as a test. I figured that, in a pinch, I could get some sleep sitting on the comfortable couches in the library.

I need not have worried. I greatly enjoyed my studio and my claustrophobia did not kick in even the smallest amount. For a low-square-footage cabin, the studio has a surprising amount of open floor space. In addition, the large window into the hallway (closable and with adjustable blinds); the two large mirrors; the 42-inch TV set; the two large mirrors and the partially-transparent shower all combine to make the studio seem larger than it is. In addition, the bed, shower and toilet were all fully-adequate (I am 6'1" and 200 lbs). There is more than adequate storage.

I was so delighted that I have now signed up for a two-week studio cruise next winter. If you travel solo and have mild claustrophobia, I strongly urge you to try cruising in a studio.

Glad it worked out for you!

I have done two studios one on EPIC in 2011 and one last year on Escape. I am doing another one on the Bliss in May for Panama.

To me the are cozy and cute. I like the Lounge which makes us solo people feel as special as the Haven folks too. Well perhaps a little less choices but still nicer than just an interior.

And across the industry NCL does the best for solos. They put the rooms high up in the ship and with interior quiet hallways. And the TV is close to the bed and one can just reach across to the desk and cabinets too

Been happy with Studios. Allows me more money for Thermal Spa and shore excursions.

Sorry to hijack. Is the coffee machine in the studio lounge available 24/7? I have a coffee problem.

It is. I sailed in a studio on Epic last January and loved the coffee machine!

OP - great post! Glad you enjoyed yourself!

• 2 weeks later...

Studios are great! I'm booked on one on the Bliss, Getaway and the Epic. It's amazing to travel alone and it's even more amazing NCL tries to help solos out. If you go on one of the biggest social media websites, you can search for some groups dedicated to us. We share deals and tips!

• Thanks 1

Studios are great! I'm booked on one on the Bliss, Getaway and the Epic. It's amazing to travel alone and it's even more amazing NCL tries to help solos out. If you go on one of the biggest social media websites, you can search for some groups dedicated to us. We share deals and tips!

What getaway cruise are you booked on?

• 2 months later...

How did you find the closet space? I am booked on a 21 day Panama Cancal cruise in 2019. I am wondering how much room I will have for clothes?

How did you find the closet space? I am booked on a 21 day Panama Cancal cruise in 2019. I am wondering how much room I will have for clothes?

I found the closet space to be more than ample. I used my suitcase under the bed for some items that didn't need to be hung up (eg shorts) and also stored my laundry bag under there too in one of the baskets that were under there. I was only on a 7 day cruise though. For 21 days I'd probably have a few more items needing hung up so would have needed to ask for more hangers... but there was definitely space to hang more. There are no drawers, but open shelves, so I used packing cubes to keep things tidy (a tip I picked up on here which proved very useful).

Edited to add that this was on the Epic, but the studios are all designed the same across the ships... the beds are smaller on Bliss, allowing for more floor space, so not sure what the under bed storage will be like.

Thank you so much for posting. I've been hesitant, just cruising alone I'm hesitant but my kids, friends can not always have the time or the $$$ to cruise.

I was tempted to do it for my Baltic cruise, studios were available when I booked but instead picked up the tab for two of my kids to come along, not going to be able to do that all the time lol

Thank you so much for posting. I've been hesitant, just cruising alone I'm hesitant but my kids, friends can not always have the time or the $$$ to cruise.

I was tempted to do it for my Baltic cruise, studios were available when I booked but instead picked up the tab for two of my kids to come along, not going to be able to do that all the time lol

Honestly just do it! ☺

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk