Please stop making reservations for the MDR!

Victress2007

Please! You're messing it up for everyone. The reason we sail NCL is for freestyle. You probably won't keep the reservation anyway.

So unless you have a group of 8 or more - just don't! We sailed POA with a group of 7, never made reservations at the main dining room and never had a wait of more than a couple minutes. There are plenty of larger tables.

Thank you,

Vic

Our reservations for the MDR allow us to skip the line of free style folks. We make reservations for high demand nights at high demand times such as when there is a stage show scheduled to begin at a certain time. Been burned before so never again.

BTW - we are pretty good at keeping our reservations

I suppose that is part of my frustration. Most of the time when we wait a few minutes in line it is because we are waiting for someone to seat us, not for a table. So when you cut to the front of the line, you are delaying everyone. If there are no tables, fine (not really, I don't think MDRs should take reservations at all). But if tables are available and we are waiting for someone to seat us, wait your turn.

V

Please! You're messing it up for everyone. The reason we sail NCL is for freestyle. You probably won't keep the reservation anyway. So unless you have a group of 8 or more - just don't! We sailed POA with a group of 7, never made reservations at the main dining room and never had a wait of more than a couple minutes. There are plenty of larger tables. Thank you,Vic

Reservations keep us moving at freestyle speed. Walk ups gotta wait.

Please! You're messing it up for everyone. The reason we sail NCL is for freestyle. You probably won't keep the reservation anyway.

So unless you have a group of 8 or more - just don't! We sailed POA with a group of 7, never made reservations at the main dining room and never had a wait of more than a couple minutes. There are plenty of larger tables.

Thank you,

Vic

We have not had any issue at any time in any MDR on NCL as a walk up. If there are reservations it has not been obvious to us one iota. We are not among a large table group but is suspect they know how to block a section to be in a position to accomdate a larger group with ease as well.

Its kind of hard to suggest that guest don't make reservartions when the reservations screens on board are suggestive that its an idea one might want to take advantage of.

Can you share why you feel this is 'messing it up for everyone', particularly since you note that you have not had to wait and as an aside that the cruiseline endorses this method of planning?

If this is the case, I'm wondering why you want us to stop making reservations.

Probably because I hear complaining about not getting seated immediately on these boards! ;p

On board the ship I rarely notice unless people skip the short line waiting for a guide.

V

Thank you,

Vic

I wonder if we have the same interpretation of freestyle dining. My understanding is that it does away with assigned seating times (early/late seating) and table assignments. I'm thinking along the lines of, make a reservation for a time and place or just show up where and when you want to be seated. Are you thinking something different?

Probably because I hear complaining about not getting seated immediately on these boards! ;p

On board the ship I rarely notice unless people skip the short line waiting for a guide.

V

It can be frustrating listening to petty complaints, but not everyone is getting messed up by this. Good job getting topic noticed for discussion.;)

I think you may be addressing the wrong group to express your opinion. If they take reservations, everyone has the right to make reservations. Your issue should be with NCL. They advertise freestyle; tell them your opinion about reservations.

Our first time on the Breakaway (in 2013) we waited 30 minutes to 2 hours for a table in the MDR for a table of 4. Our second time we had 6, and did not want to repeat that, so we made reservations. That is the only cruise we have done that on but it worked for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

V

Maybe I'm incorrect, but if no one made reservations, wouldn't the lines and wait be longer.

I suppose that is part of my frustration. Most of the time when we wait a few minutes in line it is because we are waiting for someone to seat us, not for a table. So when you cut to the front of the line, you are delaying everyone. If there are no tables, fine (not really, I don't think MDRs should take reservations at all). But if tables are available and we are waiting for someone to seat us, wait your turn.

V

Wait, your issue is that people who made reservations get seated ahead of you when you walk up?

Try the buffet, first come first served. We make reservations for the time we want to eat so that we don't have to wait at all.

Freestyle is being handed a pager with a 15 to 30 minute wait. It’s eating when they what you to eat not when you want to. It’s crazy not to make a reservation.

V

So you don't feel that it's a problem but hear other complaining and because of that you think it's a problem, right?

My advice would be to think for yourself instead of listen to the complainers and the problem is solved.

I also wish they would do away with reservations in MDR and shows as the only reason I make reservations is because I know that other people inevitably will and don't want to end up missing out/waiting... at least I have them there as an "just in case" scenario.

My holiday would be a whole lot more relaxed and enjoyable if I didn't have to make reservations purely for the sake of not missing out/ having delays which in turn stresses me out! If everyone just came and went as they pleased it would be truly "freestyle".

I think NCL has gone so "freestyle" with reservations for everything that it actually makes it more rigid and stressful than having a pre-assigned seating or first in dest dressed scenario.

That's just my personal opinion, I know others beg to differ :)

Jeez folks, I was trying for a little light hearted discussion. Make your reservations - enjoy your dinner. I will eat at my odd ball times and enjoy a drink while I wait.

Happy Friday!

V

We have been behind you on this one for years. We NEVER make reservations in MDR because we never eat there. Hope you have enjoyed our absence.