Trying different things while on a cruise or vacation

Z'Loth

I wonder how many people are like me. When I take a vacation, road trip, or cruise, I'm going to try some different things. For instance... chain restaurants. The places that I am least likely to patronize on my vacation are those places that exist in my neck of the woods, whether it be Burger King, Starbucks, Applebees, Denny's, or Carl's Jr/Hardees. On the other hand, chains that don't exist in my necks of the woods, such as Waffle House or WhatABurger, would be something worth considering. I also would check out Yelp and Zomato for any mom-and-pop type places to try out.

Also, once on board ship and in the MDR, I know how easy it is to settle into the "usual" fare. I'm checking out the menu.... sure, there is steak on the menu, but hey.... what is this? My one-and-only encounter with escargot was on a cruise ship (very buttery). I'm liable to try more off-beat fare because if I really hate it, I can get something else.

Hopefully, I'm not the only adventurous one....

My 1 & only time to eat Escargot was on a cruise ship, also. I tend to be more adventurous at home and when travelling. Whether it's eating or doing something different on a shore excursion ... my 1 & only time to zipline. Swim with Manta Rays and another trip, swim with dolphins.

I've ridden an elephant & camel (at a zoo), hand fed giraffe and rhino (at SD Animal Park), have been in several aerobatic airplane rides. Stuff like that.

We don't go to fast food restaurants at home or when we are away.

Our restaurants do offer many items like escargot at home so we are used to different items.

DH will order these items on the ship as he doesn't have to pay extra for them and will try anything new that may appear on the menu.

He has eaten Haggis and Tripe, etc.

We travel to experience new things...especially food and culture.

It is rare for me to try out a chain place even if its special to that country as we prefer local restaurants and street food to help local communities. We also look for local tipples.Cruise ships have a variety which I like but they don't have anything particularly adventurous for me personally. When you live in Europe things like raw beef, escargot,Oysters and curry are normal.

I am known as the wierdest eater amongst my friends...anything odd I'll eat. I have had insects, chicken feet, century eggs and fermented sea creature delights to name a few both here and abroad. We are doing a cruise from Singapore next so before I board the ship I will have added more things to that list as I am desperate to try really fresh Durian (smelliest fruit in the world).

I also like new experiences such as camel rides, adrenaline sports and kayaking etc etc.

Of course we try new things and new foods and really try not to eat at chains while traveling--it's part of the point of traveling. Cruises are especially good for the food part, as there are many options not readily available where we live and if you don't like a certain food, well there are plenty of other choices.

Agree with chain restaurant that you have at home....no point in traveling, if you do the same thing as at home! That said...after 10 days of many and varied meals, I was longing for a quarter pounder from Micky D's!

I wonder how many people are like me. When I take a vacation' date=' road trip, or cruise, I'm going to try some different things. For instance... chain restaurants. The places that I am least likely to patronize on my vacation are those places that exist in my neck of the woods, whether it be Burger King, Starbucks, Applebees, Denny's, or Carl's Jr/Hardees. On the other hand, chains that don't exist in my necks of the woods, such as Waffle House or WhatABurger, would be something worth considering. I also would check out Yelp and Zomato for any mom-and-pop type places to try out.

Also, once on board ship and in the MDR, I know how easy it is to settle into the "usual" fare. I'm checking out the menu.... sure, there is steak on the menu, but hey.... what is this? My one-and-only encounter with escargot was on a cruise ship (very buttery). I'm liable to try more off-beat fare because if I really hate it, I can get something else.

Hopefully, I'm not the only adventurous one....[/quote']

I too try chain restaurants in different places such as Tim Horton's

You are missing out if you do not try limited area chain restaurants.

I travel to eat. :D

So yes, I try local things. Within some limits. :)

One time, I wanted to slap some lady silly. We were in a wonderful restaurant in Budapest, picked by local friends. Of course, Hungarian food. We are done with our wonderful meal, when this, obviously American female voice is heard throughout the restaurant, "But this isn't like they make it at HOOMMMMEEE." REALLY?

I travel to find out how they make it were it comes from.

If you want to eat food just like home, STAY HOME.

I was on the Costa del Sol for work, in an area called Fuengrilo. It is where Brits go to vacation. Not upper class Brits. Every other restaurant is a British pub, servings British pub food, and British beer, and advertising live British Premier League Football (soccer) on the telly.

Great, spend money to go on holiday to Spain, and spend evenings in the pub just like at home. :D

I don't recall a cruise ship with any particularly exotic items on the menu. On shore all bets are off. Poisson cru in Tahiti, kokotxas in Spain, goat roti in the Carribean, pozole in Mexico and street food anywhere. I've eaten in American fast food joints while overseas on two occasions and still regret it. Local beer in every stop. I can drink Bud Light back on the boat.

Cruise ship is perfect place to try new things, wife is way more likely to try new things , we would never eat in a chain restaurant on vacation , I am more likely to try any drink . I think menus for msc and costa are more interesting than the other basically American lines

I too try chain restaurants in different places such as Tim Horton's

No trip to Canada is complete without a visit to a Tim Horton's.

One time, I wanted to slap some lady silly. We were in a wonderful restaurant in Budapest, picked by local friends. Of course, Hungarian food. We are done with our wonderful meal, when this, obviously American female voice is heard throughout the restaurant, "But this isn't like they make it at HOOMMMMEEE." REALLY?:D

Some people just don't consider that, in a matter of hours, travel to different places around the globe and experience various cultures.

Agree with chain restaurant that you have at home....no point in traveling, if you do the same thing as at home! That said...after 10 days of many and varied meals, I was longing for a quarter pounder from Micky D's!

Very true! A couple of different times when traveling to exotic locations for several weeks, such as Egypt or Thailand, McDonald's suddenly looked really good. And although we enjoyed the food in Viet Nam, my husband was really, really wanting something 'American' french fries--ha! Our guide went out of his way to get the cooks in various places to make french fries.

Now, they were some rather unusual french fries, but the thought was there. In Thailand, one of the hotel buffets had an American menu one night; it was a very nice change of pace. That said, we did enjoy the different food choices on various trips.

I agree, because they too are part of the local culture (where the locals eat). Not all chain restaurants are fast food, but try some local fast food places too while you're there (I don't mean local chains of international fast food places, but regional or national fast food companies).

It was on a cruise that I first snorkeled, zip-lined, ate escargot, played competitive trivia, etc., etc. Travel is fun! Living in southern California, my life is about cars. I love going to places with so many transportation choices - trains, ferries, undergrounds, great places you can walk to, etc..... it's a different world out there!

:o:o We've found that to be true ... especially when traveling to exotic locations. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Part of the point of traveling is trying the local food and beverages.

That said, part of my criticism of the main line cruise ships is that they don't serve any local specialties on board. I eat as often as I can in port. If I don't like the food, one missed meal won't hurt me.

I travel to eat. :D

So yes, I try local things. Within some limits. :)

One time, I wanted to slap some lady silly. We were in a wonderful restaurant in Budapest, picked by local friends. Of course, Hungarian food. We are done with our wonderful meal, when this, obviously American female voice is heard throughout the restaurant, "But this isn't like they make it at HOOMMMMEEE." REALLY?

I travel to find out how they make it were it comes from.

If you want to eat food just like home, STAY HOME.

I was on the Costa del Sol for work, in an area called Fuengrilo. It is where Brits go to vacation. Not upper class Brits. Every other restaurant is a British pub, servings British pub food, and British beer, and advertising live British Premier League Football (soccer) on the telly.

Great, spend money to go on holiday to Spain, and spend evenings in the pub just like at home. :D

When we travel, we enjoy local cuisine as well as local chain restaurants. Of note are the Rosa's Cantina in Texas, local BBQ joints all over the US, and other specialties.

I do try different things on vacation, we had stone crab claws in Fort Lauderdale for the first time and they were divine.

I think menus for msc and costa are more interesting than the other basically American lines

Now if only Costa did not cook EVERYTHING in olive oil we could cruise that line again. /sigh

(DW is allergic to olive, olive oil, and anything else from the olive tree including bark. Our one Costa cruise I loved the food, she was so tired of eating a salad, steak and baked potato every single night for 7 nights that she was miserable by the end of the cruise.)

I don't recall a cruise ship with any particularly exotic items on the menu. On shore all bets are off. Poisson cru in Tahiti, kokotxas in Spain, goat roti in the Carribean, pozole in Mexico and street food anywhere. I've eaten in American fast food joints while overseas on two occasions and still regret it. Local beer in every stop. I can drink Bud Light back on the boat.

I don't drink Bud Light anywhere. :D

But McDs and KFC have different menu items or different tastes in different countries. Yes, they have some of the normal things, but also different things.

Even regionally, in Hawaii McDs has local breakfast with rice, and Ramen for later meals.

In Trinidad, KFC is more of an island spice blend.

That said, I do not eat US chains when traveling. But am thinking of modifying that a bit

AThat said...after 10 days of many and varied meals, I was longing for a quarter pounder from Micky D's!

BT, DT

And the two things that are not the same, or as good, anywhere outside the US are burgers and donuts.

The exception to the donuts, being Krispy Kreme. Even Dunkin Donuts are not the same outside the US. And I am not sure why.

BT, DT

And the two things that are not the same, or as good, anywhere outside the US are burgers and donuts.

Not the same? Yes. Not as good? Debatable. Some might say they're better......I'll put an A&W Canada burger up against any US fast food burger! (It's the only fast food burger I'll eat - but only the Canadian A&W's burgers.)

Part of the point of traveling is trying the local food and beverages.

That said' date=' part of my criticism of the main line cruise ships is that they don't serve any local specialties on board. I eat as often as I can in port. If I don't like the food, one missed meal won't hurt me.[/quote']

We would be in the minority. Aside from the logistical challenges of buying locally, cruisers tend to favor familiarity and an environment more like home. I've seen people in port go back to the ship to eat lunch because they were too anxious to try a local restaurant in a foreign land.

Aside from the logistical challenges of buying locally, cruisers tend to favor familiarity and an environment more like home.

Most people do......for instance, those Brits in a pub in Spain aren't traveling there because it's Spain, they're traveling there because there's better weather. They don't want Spanish food/music/people, they want British food/music/people, but with sunshine.