What About Air Canada?

teacherman

I have asked several questions concerning our upcoming Air Booking to be made on Air2Sea, and have received some great advice. But, now, we have been offered a very low Business Class fare, compared to the others, on Air Canada. This would be from CDG to Toronto, a 3:50 layover, and then on to DTW on a smaller commuter jet. I understand that we would clear US immigration in Toronto, but other than that, I know nothing about flying on Air Canada. Any information/advice from those of you that have experienced using them would be most welcome. Thank you.

Funny you should ask that, as I was just going to do the same. Next year I’m flying to Casablanca, starting from Boston. Many of the available and least expensive flights are with Air Canada. A friend just flew AC and loved it, but on line reviews are mostly absolutely awful.

I’m looking forward to reading responses.

I have flown A LOT and mainly United and Lufthansa but that's because of miles. Flew Air Canada a few months ago from Toronto to Dubai, in business class, and it was literally the best flight we ever had. Never sleep on planes, but on this one, slept for 5 to 6 hours. The flight was that comfortable. I am now looking for other flights and will be checking Air Canada for theirs.

We flew from Vancouver BC to Dubai last month business class on Air Canada. It was an excellent flight. Food and service was great. We loved the angled seats that face more toward the window and felt the personal space was very comfortable. There are some good YouTube videos featuring AC Business class. Have a look!

The badmouthing of Air Canada comes from Canadians. It's almost a national religion to profess hatred of Air Canada. Full disclosure: I'm an AC frequent flier. I have also flown on many foreign airlines. Canadians don't know when they are well off. So read all the comments and make up your own mind but discount any from my fellow Canadians. Sad!

I have flown Air Canada, business and economy, for years. Business and personal travel. Lots of domestic and international.

I recommend their business class international product. We have found it much better than the US domestics such.as UA or AA.

If you can get a good fare grab it.

We flew AC from Vancouver to London in 2013, and will fly them again this summer to Rome. We fly coach (business is too $ for our family of four) and thought the service was more than fine. Much better than when we flew Delta and Southwest in the States. Oh, and we're Canadian, no bad-mouthing here. 😀

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-AL00 using Forums mobile app

We flew AC from Vancouver to London in 2013, and will fly them again this summer to Rome. We fly coach (business is too $ for our family of four) and thought the service was more than fine. Much better than when we flew Delta and Southwest in the States. Oh, and we're Canadian, no bad-mouthing here. 😀

That's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. Service and amenities are often different, even within the same airline, for domestic vs. transoceanic flights. Thus, it's a little unfair to compare DL and WN domestic flights to an AC transoceanic one. ;)

That's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. Service and amenities are often different, even within the same airline, for domestic vs. transoceanic flights. Thus, it's a little unfair to compare DL and WN domestic flights to an AC transoceanic one. ;)

Good point. I think that's true of all airlines, short haul and long haul can be very different once you're in the air.

Air Canada has been in business for around 80 years. They are in the same category as American, Delta, BA, Air France etc... as an established traditional airline. There are more things the same than different between these airlines. They have around 300 aircraft.

Canada major airports are designed and setup for international transit passengers. That makes transfers there easier than in US hubs. Bags are automatically transferred. Going to the US you clear US customs before boarding your flight.

If you are on Air Canada mainline in business within North America it is comparable to what the us based airlines called First Class. Catering is better.

The CDG flight is a mainline route, the business class seats will open up into a bed. Air Canada uses a pod layout. It is comparable to business class on Air France or any of the US airlines.

Some photos here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/cabin-features/international-business-class.html

We love transatlantic cruises, but have given up on them due to the agony of flying back into Philadelphia or JFK: 4+ hours layover, all spent in one line after another.

How would flying into Toronto compare, for US citizens, with a connection to a US airport?

We love transatlantic cruises, but have given up on them due to the agony of flying back into Philadelphia or JFK: 4+ hours layover, all spent in one line after another.

How would flying into Toronto compare, for US citizens, with a connection to a US airport?

You will still wait in line to clear US customs and security, you will just do it in Toronto since they have pre-clearance for US customs there. Your flight would arrive in the US as though it were a domestic flight, where you get off the plane and go straight to the gate for your connecting flight.

I’ve been looking at the flights from Boston to Casablanca via Montreal, and all seem to say that premium economy and business as well are in the same cabin as economy! That seems bizarre to me...

In what way do they say that PE and biz and "in the same cabin" as economy? I think perhaps you are misunderstanding something.

I’ve been looking at the flights from Boston to Casablanca via Montreal, and all seem to say that premium economy and business as well are in the same cabin as economy! That seems bizarre to me...

Once again, that vague, undefined "they" or "all say" or "I've read". Sources matter.

I can say this with certainty. All of the classes are in the same aluminum/composite tube.

Key differences are:

- In Toronto you go into a separate US customs line for connecting passengers. I have been in the same line many times connecting from Canada to the US and i have always found it much faster. It is staffed on the basis that most people are making fairly tight connections. By comparison I find clearing US customs at a US airport a zoo (my only experiences have been Seattle, LA or Minneapolis).

- Your checked bags are automatically transferred.

- No paper forms, you enter everything on a kiosk. I think these are making their way to US airports.

- As other said, once you get off your flight in the US you will be arriving at a domestic gate and just walk out of the airport.

Edited by em-sk

I currently have a couple of Air Canada flights pending in EZ Air through Princess. When are you able to make a seat selection? I haven't ever flown with them before, but they were the best price on our flight to Vancouver in April and our flight to Budapest in August.

Not certain about how EZ Air works. Once you make the reservation, it should show you a ticket number or PNR locater id. You can give Air Canada a call and do it there as well for many reservation you can also do it online on the Air Canada website.

The overseas part of the trip (Montreal to Casablanca) has separate cabins.

The Boston to Montreal flight may be on a 50 seat or 70-80 seat regional jet. If it a 50 seat aircraft than the aircraft just has one cabin and Economy, Premium Economy and Business are all in one cabin. If it is the larger regional jet than there is a separate business class cabin. That flight is around 1 hour.

I currently have a couple of Air Canada flights pending in EZ Air through Princess. When are you able to make a seat selection? I haven't ever flown with them before, but they were the best price on our flight to Vancouver in April and our flight to Budapest in August.

It may depend on the fare you paid. Don't know about Air Canada but I have been on airlines where you cannot select a seat. Even at check-in. You had to go to the gate and got a seat 45 mins before departure.

Montreal to Casablanca is an A330. It has full Business Class (lie flat) plus Premium Economy and regular economy. You can check the actual seat plan on SeatGuru.

Thank you for being kind to me. I was looking at flights on Air Canada ‘s website. I saw the words mixed cabin there.

Thank you for being kind to me. I was looking at flights on Air Canada ‘s website. I saw the words mixed cabin there.

That means, for example, the first leg of your flight is in Economy, and the second is in business. Does that make sense?