Maya Chan review - any Questions?

tmn1016

Lynn,

If you haven't already done this? -- You might want to read Jane's book It Helps to Be Crazy -- The story of Maya Chan Beach. I picked up a copy through Amazon.

Fun read, although it makes you nervous about everything Mark, Jane and David had to do, to bring us this wonderful beach zone.

Which ship are you guys on? Have a wonderful cruise!

Kel:D

We'll be on the NCL Getaway out of Miami. Guess its safe to say Mark and Jane will also be visiting Maya Chan the same day we'll be there...just to "check-up" on things. ;)

Did the limit go up when they added the second restroom and bar?

Last time we were there it didn't feel crowded on the beach but the inside dining certainly cannot accommodate everyone eating at once, We were happy to wait but there was quite a line for food for those that rushed early and then a wait while people that were dining vacated tables. There was plenty of food and no problem getting served.

Maybe something to consider for those ships that have odd port hours.

Lynn,

If you haven't already done this? -- You might want to read Jane's book It Helps to Be Crazy -- The story of Maya Chan Beach. I picked up a copy through Amazon.

Fun read, although it makes you nervous about everything Mark, Jane and David had to do, to bring us this wonderful beach zone.

Which ship are you guys on? Have a wonderful cruise!

I agree, also purchased the book and enjoyed it. Not sure I would have the endurance to stay with it. I am sure that I will enjoy the day even more knowing the journey that they had. Our family of 8 will be there July 5, 2018 from the Getaway.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

I got my invoice the next day. He's pretty quick.

Yes, Mark sent my invoice the next day. I paid the $20 deposit from that invoice. And understand they send an invoice for the remaining balance before the cruise.

Can't wait for our cruise to get here!

I just returned from Maya Chan on Friday and had a wonderful time!

The road from the port was indeed very smooth. I was told it just got fixed (again) less than two weeks ago.

The service was outstanding. Everyone was extremely friendly and attentive. I was a little nervous going as we were taking my parents (seniors) and our children as well. My parents are a little more 5* all-inclusive resort type of travelers whereas I like exploring a bit off the beaten path and chilling in unique places. That being said, they loved it too. They thought it was very relaxing and the food and people were outstanding.

There was tons of sea grass, which I expected...And it had a strong odor depending on the direction of the wind. But it was all so beautiful and peaceful there, it didn't ruin our time at all. We kayaked, sat in the floaty chairs, and found the iguanas that live in the bus out front.

It was a lovely time! Also, for reference, we were there from approximately 10:30 - 2:30pm and it was certainly worth it. Quite empty towards the end of the day, but never felt too crowded.

I just returned from Maya Chan on Friday and had a wonderful time!

The road from the port was indeed very smooth. I was told it just got fixed (again) less than two weeks ago.

The service was outstanding. Everyone was extremely friendly and attentive. I was a little nervous going as we were taking my parents (seniors) and our children as well. My parents are a little more 5* all-inclusive resort type of travelers whereas I like exploring a bit off the beaten path and chilling in unique places. That being said, they loved it too. They thought it was very relaxing and the food and people were outstanding.

There was tons of sea grass, which I expected...And it had a strong odor depending on the direction of the wind. But it was all so beautiful and peaceful there, it didn't ruin our time at all. We kayaked, sat in the floaty chairs, and found the iguanas that live in the bus out front.

It was a lovely time! Also, for reference, we were there from approximately 10:30 - 2:30pm and it was certainly worth it. Quite empty towards the end of the day, but never felt too crowded.

Thank you for reporting - we will be there in a few weeks and are really looking forward to it. Sea grass...oh well I can get past that, vacation and a beach with sea grass is better than sitting here in my cubicle working....

I have late port 12-8. Are the shops in port still open if I do last ride in from Maya Chan? I'd rather look around on way back to boat rather than waste time when I could be on my way to Maya Chan.

Just returned from Maya Chan last week, and, WOW.....what a great day!! Drive out was very smooth, beach area was nice; they were having issues with the sea grass, but did the best they could to clean up what they could. Food was excellent!! Definitely loved the steak tacos, and sea bass tacos! Everyone we encountered was very friendly, and wanted to make sure we had the best day! Highly recommend!

Just returned from Maya Chan last week, and, WOW.....what a great day!! Drive out was very smooth, beach area was nice; they were having issues with the sea grass, but did the best they could to clean up what they could. Food was excellent!! Definitely loved the steak tacos, and sea bass tacos! Everyone we encountered was very friendly, and wanted to make sure we had the best day! Highly recommend!

Nice to see you again!!!

We are thinking about doing Maya Chan next April (our DS was there a few years ago) .... was it as good as Beachlimerz was? That was a great time with good food and great beach. Looking forward to this day! Jan

Nice to see you again!!!

We are thinking about doing Maya Chan next April (our DS was there a few years ago) .... was it as good as Beachlimerz was? That was a great time with good food and great beach. Looking forward to this day! Jan

Hi Jan, hope you guys are doing well!!

I don't think I would say as nice as Beachlimerz, but they are 2 different types of places. Maya Chan is all inclusive with drinks(alcohol and non-alcohol) and all the tacos you want for lunch. Beach area wasn't as nice, and may have been better without all the sea grass, but hard to say as that seems to happen quite often to them at Maya Chan. But, we definitely would go back there again, just like Antigua! Overall, a great day, and everyone really wanted to make sure you were having a great time and if you needed anything.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

• 1 month later...
You might want to read Jane's book It Helps to Be Crazy -- The story of Maya Chan Beach.

Well, been awhile, but bought the book while we where in February- love that we were there for 2 parts of the book - The painkiller (one of my favorite drinks, made them our first trip in 2013.), and the CATFIGHT, they were there the day we came in on the NCL dawn Jan of 2014 -- the where causing havoc on the ship back to Tampa, multiple times

• 3 weeks later...
Just got back from Maya chan and wanted to post a few quick items.. Also answer any questions if I can.

First off - they are very upfront about what to expect (Bumpy roads, sea grass on the beach and cloudier water). Their team could not have worked harder to greet everyone, make everyone feel at home, welcomed and taken care of! Great food - and lots of it, the drinks were flowing and plentiful! Lots of beach toys, paddleboards, kayaks, floaty chairs. The massages were a nice touch - $45 for an hour is super reasonable. I did see a Jellyfish while in the water so beware there but that's not really anything they can control. Snorkeling to the reef we were told wasn't recommended, was hoping to see some sea turtles or fish and that was the only thing we didn't. You didn't feel like you had a crowded area, everything was well managed!

As they said to us - if you're looking for the crystal blue waters, this isn't the place but if you're looking for a relaxing beach break - it was great. Last tip - DO NOT FORGET BUG SPRAY!

I don't understand all these rave reviews for Maya Chan.

Brown Water?

Tons of Sea Grass?

Bugs?

I don't care how nice the owners are, that doesn't sound idyllic.

Brown Water?

Tons of Sea Grass?

Bugs?

Without spending a ton of money (that I personally don't have), I don't think you will find a truly idyllic location. Are some of the other locations better as far as water and see grass? Sure, but they are also crowded. Plus you pay extra for food, drinks, chairs, kayaks, etc. If you want a good, not great, beach and water area where you will be completely catered to with amazing food and drinks, without the crowding, and plenty of beach and sand toys/sports equipment, as well as food drinks and chairs with shade cover provided without extra fees, then this is absolutely the place.

Brown Water?

Tons of Sea Grass?

Bugs?

Have you been there? Some people should stay home and pick up dog crap from the backyard. :cool:

• 1 month later...
In my opinion, if you are getting into Costa Maya at noon then I would not book Maya Chan. You would literally have 2-3 hours there and paying almost $60/person, not worth it. Save it for when you can spend a solid 4-5 hours there.

Thank you for mentioning that - it was my worry too, before I mention it to three other couples traveling together. Our ship docks at 11:00 am and is there until 7:00 pm. Based on these hours, would you still have the same opinion?

Thank you for mentioning that - it was my worry too, before I mention it to three other couples traveling together. Our ship docks at 11:00 am and is there until 7:00 pm. Based on these hours, would you still have the same opinion?

I don't think Maya Chan status open past 5. Double check. You can ask questions directly on their Facebook page. They are very good at responding. And you could even put your situation in there and they can suggest the best thing to do .

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked a last minute cruise for the end of September. I’m really hoping to reserve maya chan and sent a reservation request this morning but havent heard back yet. Trying to be patient but it’s sooo hard to not get my hopes up being this close to the cruise. How long does it normally take to hear back?

I just booked a last minute cruise for the end of September. I’m really hoping to reserve maya chan and sent a reservation request this morning but havent heard back yet. Trying to be patient but it’s sooo hard to not get my hopes up being this close to the cruise. How long does it normally take to hear back?

Usually within 24 hours. If no response after a day or so. Message them on Facebook. They are very good about responding!

Between here and Trip Advisor, the reviews are stellar. It sounds like a very nice day. The question I have is that I am not a big drinker. One drink, possibly 2, would be plenty for me. Knowing that would it still be decent value to spend the $120 for 2 people?