Koningsdam Buffet: FIrst 72 hours

BTwurddle

Does anyone know if HAL still has the policy that for the first 72 hours of a cruise all food service is "hands-off" for passengers? Specifically on the MS Koningsdam? I love HAL and I'm aware they began the procedure as a way to curtail spread of illness I have to admit it is one of the few things about HAL that drive me crazy. We haven't sailed with them since '14 in Alaska and on that particular cruise the entire system just seemed a disaster for passengers and crew alike. Looking at Koningsdam this winter and was just wondering if they still have this policy in place. Thanks in advance and happy cruising everyone!

• 8 months later...

As others mentioned, the servers now serve almost everything to you for the entire cruise, not just the start... though this has been in place a while and I think has made it more efficient and streamlined.

It solves some major problems I have with buffet-style:

-No more waiting behind someone who is slow as molasses

-No more concern of where hands have been touching the serving tools and the food itself

-Glass encasements are more encompassing so people aren't breathing their hot germs onto the food.

-Items don't run out as often. The staff keeps better track of what's needed and you can request as much as you'd like, but I find people usually take what is given and thus there isn't the one person taking all of something and having to wait around for a refill of whatever is now gone by someone who probably had bigger eyes than stomach.

I haven't had any issues with having absurd wait times or not getting what I wanted.

Also note, some dry/cold food items are still self-serve. The rolls/breads, the cheese plates, pre-plated appetizers, sandwiches at lunch, cereals in the morning, desserts are all "grab and go".

Not being able to serve yourself and not touching the serving utensils is the absolute best way to prevent the spreading of germs through cross contamination. So happy that HAL has moved forward with this to all of their ships.