what is the checking in process?

Lintravel

Hi. Going on our first cruise next month. Once you drop off car (CPS), what happens next? Is there anything to do whilst you wait to board? Are there shops like an airport? And what do you tend to do first once you embark?

After you have checked in where you will get your cruisecards and authorise your credit card you will wait in a seating area until you are called, there arent shops like an airport but you can buy drinks and snacks. Before boarding you will go through security like an airport where your bags will be screened

Depending on your check in time your cabin may or not be ready when you board they are usually ready before 2pm. The buffet restaurant will be open for lunch but gets very busy and bars will be open but no shops until you leave port.

Your luggage will arrive some time later outside your cabin.

There will be a muster safety drill that everyone has to attend before the ship sails.

We usually explore the ship if there is time before the drill and try to find our way around. You will get lost a few times, everyone does my husband still does after 2 weeks on board![emoji6]

Have a great cruise![emoji41]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Edited by sammybonny

All what Sammybonny said but whilst waiting each passenger has to fill in a health form

https://carnivaluk.metafaq.com/resources/carnivaluk/before-you-sail/Health_Question_1_pdf.pdf

You will be given a check in card with a letter (A-Z ) Green being the shortest wait .Red if your really early and it's busy.

Once your card is called then you will be sent to a check in desk where once processed you will have your ships boarding cards .

As for shops expect a drinks kiosk with snacks (never used it we carry our own)

Hi. Going on our first cruise next month. Once you drop off car (CPS), what happens next? Is there anything to do whilst you wait to board? Are there shops like an airport? And what do you tend to do first once you embark?

You drive to the CPS queue and the luggage guys will take your cases and confirm you do not have passports in them and they will process your car and drive off in it while you walk to terminal with hand luggage. You should have put your luggage labels on the cases when you were leaving home. I always have passports and boarding pass and plus a biro in my pockets. Then you walk into terminal. There is typically someone who inspects your boarding pass, observes your allocated time and gives you the check in letter A-Z and you sit and wait. Facilities include a snack bar with drinks and toilets. When your letter is called you move across to the check in desks and are directed to a specific operator. The counter staff do the photo, credit card registration, health declaration and give you your Cruise Card.

Once you have a cruise card you go through security much as getting onto a plane but there is no problem with liquids. Then walk onto ship and show your cruise card to the crew member allowing people to board. I like to have my hand luggage as a small suitcase with luggage tags on it. In this way I can find cabin and put the bag in there so I am not carrying it round, I have been known to leave it outside the cabin when waiting for the "cabins are ready" announcement.

Regards John

My boarding says 3pm, now that seems very late to me, need to consider lunch (diabetic) ... any chance of getting on board in time for lunch?
I would have lunch first, before going to the port. You might get on earlier than your scheduled time, but why risk it. Plenty of places to eat in Southampton.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

My boarding says 3pm, now that seems very late to me, need to consider lunch (diabetic) ... any chance of getting on board in time for lunch?

My entire family are diabetic - I am not - but they would never risk getting on board early for lunch. They would choose to have lunch in or around Southampton and head for the ship nearer their designated time. Why gamble with your health?

Hi. Hope you are looking forward to your first cruise. I'm sure you will love it.

The boarding process is very smooth and there are people to help you at each stage. There are no shops like there are in an airport (you won't be in the terminal for nearly as long as an airport) but there is a drink and snacks kiosk, as others have said. We've never used it as we've been through the terminal within half an hour on both of our P&O cruises.

Have a great time and don't be scared to ask more questions on here.